The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz

commits-2
Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-fbs.450.mcz

Name: Tools-fbs.450
Author: fbs
Time: 4 March 2013, 10:45:01.19 pm
UUID: 416ef277-60a3-4dea-938f-8de92d1368e2
Ancestors: Tools-fbs.449

Transform callers of Utilities class >> #timeStampForMethod: to callers of CompiledMethod >> #timeStamp.

=============== Diff against Tools-fbs.449 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MessageSet>>filterToCurrentAuthor (in category 'filtering') -----
  filterToCurrentAuthor
  "Filter down only to messages with my initials as most recent author"
  self filterFrom:
  [:aClass :aSelector | | aMethod aTimeStamp |
  (aClass notNil and: [aSelector notNil]) and:
  [aMethod := aClass compiledMethodAt: aSelector ifAbsent: [nil].
  aMethod notNil and:
+ [(aTimeStamp := aMethod timeStamp) notNil and:
- [(aTimeStamp := Utilities timeStampForMethod: aMethod) notNil and:
  [aTimeStamp beginsWith: Utilities authorInitials]]]]!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MessageSet>>filterToNotCurrentAuthor (in category 'filtering') -----
  filterToNotCurrentAuthor
  "Filter down only to messages not stamped with my initials"
  self filterFrom:
  [:aClass :aSelector | | aTimeStamp aMethod |
  (aClass notNil and: [aSelector notNil]) and:
  [aMethod := aClass compiledMethodAt: aSelector ifAbsent: [nil].
  aMethod notNil and:
+ [(aTimeStamp := aMethod timeStamp) isNil or:
- [(aTimeStamp := Utilities timeStampForMethod: aMethod) isNil or:
  [(aTimeStamp beginsWith: Utilities authorInitials) not]]]]!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: StringHolder>>timeStamp (in category '*Tools') -----
  timeStamp
  "Answer the time stamp for the chosen class and method, if any, else an empty string"

  |  selector  aMethod |
  (selector := self selectedMessageName) ifNotNil:
  [self selectedClassOrMetaClass
  ifNil:
  [^ String new]
  ifNotNil:
  [aMethod := self selectedClassOrMetaClass compiledMethodAt: selector ifAbsent: [nil].
+ aMethod ifNotNil: [^ aMethod timeStamp]]].
- aMethod ifNotNil: [^ Utilities timeStampForMethod: aMethod]]].
  ^ String new!

Re: The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 6 March 2013 10:59,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-fbs.450.mcz

> Name: Tools-fbs.450
> Author: fbs
> Time: 4 March 2013, 10:45:01.19 pm
> UUID: 416ef277-60a3-4dea-938f-8de92d1368e2
> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.449
>
> Transform callers of Utilities class >> #timeStampForMethod: to callers of CompiledMethod >> #timeStamp.
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-fbs.449 ===============

The lack of this commit smashed up the build server - 30-odd test
failures. Sorry about that!

frank

Re: The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 2013-03-06, at 12:01, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 March 2013 10:59,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-fbs.450.mcz

>> Name: Tools-fbs.450
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 4 March 2013, 10:45:01.19 pm
>> UUID: 416ef277-60a3-4dea-938f-8de92d1368e2
>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.449
>>
>> Transform callers of Utilities class >> #timeStampForMethod: to callers of CompiledMethod >> #timeStamp.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Tools-fbs.449 ===============
>
> The lack of this commit smashed up the build server - 30-odd test
> failures. Sorry about that!
>
> frank

No problem, but getting the regressions sent to squeak-dev would be awesome!

- Bert -

On 6 March 2013 13:04, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-03-06, at 12:01, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6 March 2013 10:59,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of Tools to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Tools-fbs.450.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Tools-fbs.450
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 4 March 2013, 10:45:01.19 pm
>>> UUID: 416ef277-60a3-4dea-938f-8de92d1368e2
>>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.449
>>>
>>> Transform callers of Utilities class >> #timeStampForMethod: to callers of CompiledMethod >> #timeStamp.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against Tools-fbs.449 ===============
>>
>> The lack of this commit smashed up the build server - 30-odd test
>> failures. Sorry about that!
>>
>> frank
>
> No problem, but getting the regressions sent to squeak-dev would be awesome!

The rules for email notification are:

If configured, Jenkins will send out an e-mail to the specified
recipients when a certain important event occurs.
Every failed build triggers a new e-mail.
A successful build after a failed (or unstable) build triggers a new
e-mail, indicating that a crisis is over.
An unstable build after a successful build triggers a new e-mail,
indicating that there's a regression.
Unless configured, every unstable build triggers a new e-mail,
indicating that regression is still there.
For lazy projects where unstable builds are the norm, Uncheck "Send
e-mail for every unstable build".

SqueakTrunk is always unstable (because we always have failing tests
since some are markers for desired behaviour) so we'd get a mail on
every build. But I don't know yet what mail address Jenkins will use
here.

frank

> - Bert -

Regression notifications (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg

On 2013-03-06, at 14:24, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> getting the regressions sent to squeak-dev would be awesome!
>
> The rules for email notification are:
>
> If configured, Jenkins will send out an e-mail to the specified
> recipients when a certain important event occurs.
> Every failed build triggers a new e-mail.
> A successful build after a failed (or unstable) build triggers a new
> e-mail, indicating that a crisis is over.
> An unstable build after a successful build triggers a new e-mail,
> indicating that there's a regression.
> Unless configured, every unstable build triggers a new e-mail,
> indicating that regression is still there.

Well, if we can filter these to only send a mail if there are failures that were not in the previous build, that would be what we want.

> For lazy projects where unstable builds are the norm, Uncheck "Send
> e-mail for every unstable build".
>
> SqueakTrunk is always unstable (because we always have failing tests
> since some are markers for desired behaviour)

Would it be hard not to log expected failures?

> so we'd get a mail on
> every build. But I don't know yet what mail address Jenkins will use
> here.
>
> frank

When I was experimenting with email notifications I'd always use a couple private emails for a couple of days first ...

- Bert -

Re: Regression notifications (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz)

Frank Shearar-3
On 6 March 2013 14:51, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-03-06, at 14:24, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> getting the regressions sent to squeak-dev would be awesome!
>>
>> The rules for email notification are:
>>
>> If configured, Jenkins will send out an e-mail to the specified
>> recipients when a certain important event occurs.
>> Every failed build triggers a new e-mail.
>> A successful build after a failed (or unstable) build triggers a new
>> e-mail, indicating that a crisis is over.
>> An unstable build after a successful build triggers a new e-mail,
>> indicating that there's a regression.
>> Unless configured, every unstable build triggers a new e-mail,
>> indicating that regression is still there.
>
> Well, if we can filter these to only send a mail if there are failures that were not in the previous build, that would be what we want.

Not as far as I know.

>> For lazy projects where unstable builds are the norm, Uncheck "Send
>> e-mail for every unstable build".
>>
>> SqueakTrunk is always unstable (because we always have failing tests
>> since some are markers for desired behaviour)
>
> Would it be hard not to log expected failures?

Yes, but only by using expectedFailures, which is kind've lame. There
are two tests - the Locale one and the one ReleaseBuilder one - that
I'd really like to see fixed one way or the other, and we could always
just expectedFailure the others. A separate branch could unexpect one
when someone's ready to tackle the issue.

>> so we'd get a mail on
>> every build. But I don't know yet what mail address Jenkins will use
>> here.
>>
>> frank
>
> When I was experimenting with email notifications I'd always use a couple private emails for a couple of days first ...

For sure; for testing I'd just mail myself.

frank

> - Bert -

Re: Regression notifications (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-fbs.450.mcz)

Chris Muller-3

>>> The rules for email notification are:
>>>
>>> If configured, Jenkins will send out an e-mail to the specified
>>> recipients when a certain important event occurs.
>>> Every failed build triggers a new e-mail.
>>> A successful build after a failed (or unstable) build triggers a new
>>> e-mail, indicating that a crisis is over.
>>> An unstable build after a successful build triggers a new e-mail,
>>> indicating that there's a regression.
>>> Unless configured, every unstable build triggers a new e-mail,
>>> indicating that regression is still there.
>>
>> Well, if we can filter these to only send a mail if there are failures that were not in the previous build, that would be what we want.
>
> Not as far as I know.

Could it summarize and send out just one e-mail per day similar to the
daily trunk activity?

On 6 March 2013 21:11, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, if we can filter these to only send a mail if there are failures that were not in the previous build, that would be what we want.
>>
>> Not as far as I know.
>
> Could it summarize and send out just one e-mail per day similar to the
> daily trunk activity?

Yes, as long as we wrote a custom plugin.

frank