The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

12

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

timrowledge

On 28-Apr-07, at 6:33 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> I agree with the kerning issue. It is one of the disadvantages I
> talked about in my page.
>
> But, an image that already has FreeType (I guess you're talking
> about it), what's the need for something like what I did?

As you say, it might seem like there is little point in using the
bitmaps if one has the plugin. However, not all machines are fast
enough to render the characters 'live'. There is certainly a useful
libration point of functionality where the plugin is used to
initially render character glyphs and then the cached glyph is used
for actual rendering. The caching could be on the basis of all
characters in a font at once, or just the characters used, or
predictive caching based on character frequency in the relevant
language.

An example of this approach is RISC OS, where they generated cached
character glyphs in 1/2 sub-pixel antialised form at need as a way of
getting very high quality screen and printer fonts as far back as
1987. On a machine with 1Mb ram and 4mips! If this isn't a plausible
way of getting decent fonts on more recent but non-leading-edge
machines then I'd be very surprised.

> If you really care about kerning and other issues (like in Sophie),
> the proper solution is modeling the fonts and rendering them. My
> solution is for more modest needs, like a programmer that wants to
> avoid extra complexity and is happy with nice looking code.

Indeed - and my suggestion would offer you a relatively easy way of
improving that nice facility with a lot less manual hacking. You
could also make use of any font on the users machine instead of just
the ones that you have spent the time processing, which would surely
reduce the wear and tear on your fingertips :-)

tim
Diagnostics are the programs that run when nothing else will.

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

NorbertHartl
Hi Juan,

I like your approach. It is much of a benefit without adding
much complexity.

The Umlauts öäü don't work. I can see they are contained in the
bmp images but they aren't displayed correct in squeak.

I get the following:

ö = ^
ä = o/oo (pro mille)
ü = something like a dot

Norbert

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
I agree with all you say. And you, Andy or anybody is welcome to try
that approach. But I'm not doing it, because I'm making my Morphic 3.0
image (where I'm focusing all my energy) as small as possible, and I
won't have Freetype. At lease not now.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

tim Rowledge escribió:

> On 28-Apr-07, at 6:33 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> I agree with the kerning issue. It is one of the disadvantages I
>> talked about in my page.
>>
>> But, an image that already has FreeType (I guess you're talking about
>> it), what's the need for something like what I did?
>
> As you say, it might seem like there is little point in using the
> bitmaps if one has the plugin. However, not all machines are fast
> enough to render the characters 'live'. There is certainly a useful
> libration point of functionality where the plugin is used to initially
> render character glyphs and then the cached glyph is used for actual
> rendering. The caching could be on the basis of all characters in a
> font at once, or just the characters used, or predictive caching based
> on character frequency in the relevant language.
>
> An example of this approach is RISC OS, where they generated cached
> character glyphs in 1/2 sub-pixel antialised form at need as a way of
> getting very high quality screen and printer fonts as far back as
> 1987. On a machine with 1Mb ram and 4mips! If this isn't a plausible
> way of getting decent fonts on more recent but non-leading-edge
> machines then I'd be very surprised.
>
>> If you really care about kerning and other issues (like in Sophie),
>> the proper solution is modeling the fonts and rendering them. My
>> solution is for more modest needs, like a programmer that wants to
>> avoid extra complexity and is happy with nice looking code.
>
> Indeed - and my suggestion would offer you a relatively easy way of
> improving that nice facility with a lot less manual hacking. You could
> also make use of any font on the users machine instead of just the
> ones that you have spent the time processing, which would surely
> reduce the wear and tear on your fingertips :-)
>
> tim
> Diagnostics are the programs that run when nothing else will.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database:
> 269.6.2/780 - Release Date: 29/4/2007 06:30 a.m.

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Norbert,

My native language is Spanish and I forgot to test unmaluts and accents!
Will fix them.

Thanks for the report,
Juan Vuletich

Norbert Hartl escribió:

> Hi Juan,
>
> I like your approach. It is much of a benefit without adding
> much complexity.
>
> The Umlauts öäü don't work. I can see they are contained in the
> bmp images but they aren't displayed correct in squeak.
>
> I get the following:
>
> ö = ^
> ä = o/oo (pro mille)
> ü = something like a dot
>
> Norbert

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Ok I see. I did my stuff in my 3.7 derivative, but StrikeFonts have
changed in 3.8 or 3.9. I will fix them later today.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Norbert Hartl escribió:

> Hi Juan,
>
> I like your approach. It is much of a benefit without adding
> much complexity.
>
> The Umlauts öäü don't work. I can see they are contained in the
> bmp images but they aren't displayed correct in squeak.
>
> I get the following:
>
> ö = ^
> ä = o/oo (pro mille)
> ü = something like a dot
>
> Norbert

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Dan, I remembered about your technique to OCR Sanskrit text, using
histograms of pixel values for rows and columns. Leandro Caniglia told
me he learned it at your place on Squeak 10th anniversary. This allowed
avoiding the need to mark the bmp files manually. Now, creating nice
looking StrikeFonts in Squeak is fast and easy! Your work is always so
enlightening!

I updated http://www.jvuletich.org/Squeak/Misc/AAStrikeFonts.zip . I
also replaced copyrighted fonts with 6 sizes of Bitstream Vera, free of
any legal issues.

Enjoy!

Juan Vuletich

Dan Ingalls escribió:

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/Issue0010.htm .
>>
>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>
>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>

> Yay, Juan.  You GO, guy!
>
> You might be able to avoid the step of manually marking up your text-editor rendering by putting each character on a separate line, followed by , eg, "|" to identify the widths.
>
> Really nice hack -- a great example of malleable software (and a clever mind) at work.
>
> Ciao
> - Dan

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

stephane ducasse
are you planning to produce a package that can be loaded in 3.9 or 3.10?

Stef

On 1 mai 07, at 21:36, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Dan, I remembered about your technique to OCR Sanskrit text, using
> histograms of pixel values for rows and columns. Leandro Caniglia
> told me he learned it at your place on Squeak 10th anniversary.
> This allowed avoiding the need to mark the bmp files manually. Now,
> creating nice looking StrikeFonts in Squeak is fast and easy! Your
> work is always so enlightening!
>
> I updated http://www.jvuletich.org/Squeak/Misc/AAStrikeFonts.zip .
> I also replaced copyrighted fonts with 6 sizes of Bitstream Vera,
> free of any legal issues.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Dan Ingalls escribió:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> The Weekly Juan #10 is out at http://www.jvuletich.org/issues/
>>> Issue0010.htm .
>>>
>>> I managed to get antialiased subpixel rendered fonts in Squeak
>>> without modifying any plugin, just with a 13kb change set.
>>>
>>> Hope you like it. Any comment is welcome.
>>>

>> Yay, Juan.  You GO, guy!
>>
>> You might be able to avoid the step of manually marking up your
>> text-editor rendering by putting each character on a separate
>> line, followed by , eg, "|" to identify the widths.
>>
>> Really nice hack -- a great example of malleable software (and a
>> clever mind) at work.
>>
>> Ciao
>> - Dan

Re: The Weekly Juan #10: "Cheap, High Quality Fonts in Squeak"

Juan Vuletich-4
Well, the zip file is for 3.9 and most likely it is ok for 3.10. I
didn't think about a package in SqueakMap if that's what you mean.
Anyway, as everybody seemed to like this a lot, perhaps the Release Team
includes it in 3.10.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

stephane ducasse escribió:

> are you planning to produce a package that can be loaded in 3.9 or 3.10?
>
> Stef
>
> On 1 mai 07, at 21:36, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Dan, I remembered about your technique to OCR Sanskrit text, using
>> histograms of pixel values for rows and columns. Leandro Caniglia
>> told me he learned it at your place on Squeak 10th anniversary. This
>> allowed avoiding the need to mark the bmp files manually. Now,
>> creating nice looking StrikeFonts in Squeak is fast and easy! Your
>> work is always so enlightening!
>>
>> I updated http://www.jvuletich.org/Squeak/Misc/AAStrikeFonts.zip . I
>> also replaced copyrighted fonts with 6 sizes of Bitstream Vera, free
>> of any legal issues.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Juan Vuletich

>>> Yay, Juan.  You GO, guy!
>>>
>>> You might be able to avoid the step of manually marking up your
>>> text-editor rendering by putting each character on a separate line,
>>> followed by , eg, "|" to identify the widths.
>>>
>>> Really nice hack -- a great example of malleable software (and a
>>> clever mind) at work.
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>>     - Dan
>>>

> --No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database:
> 269.6.2/782 - Release Date: 1/5/2007 02:10 a.m.

12