The Weekly Squeak is back!

Giovanni Corriga
Hi all,

we've finally decided to give another go at the Weekly Squeak
newsletter.

TWS has now become a blog, which at the moment is hosted by
wordpress.com .
We will be posting news during the whole week, so be sure either to
check the website everyday ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/ ) or to
subscribe to the RSS feed ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/feed/ ).

Every monday we'll post a summary of the news of the past week.

We'll start this new run of The Weekly Squeak with a nice surprise: live
reports from the ESUG 2006 conference!

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Hi Giovanni,

I have seen in your blog that there where a demo on different squeak
developments and I would like to get more information about them, and
even, if its possible, a runnable example, specially on Sophie from the
Future of the Book project, and from the people of Impara (wold be nice
also to know more about the others).

May be you can get me more info with the authors, I'm trying to get
downloadable and executable examples of the software, but they seem not
available.

Cheers,

Offray

Giovanni Corriga escribió:

> Hi all,
>
> we've finally decided to give another go at the Weekly Squeak
> newsletter.
>
> TWS has now become a blog, which at the moment is hosted by
> wordpress.com .
> We will be posting news during the whole week, so be sure either to
> check the website everyday ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/ ) or to
> subscribe to the RSS feed ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/feed/ ).
>
> Every monday we'll post a summary of the news of the past week.
>
> We'll start this new run of The Weekly Squeak with a nice surprise: live
> reports from the ESUG 2006 conference!
>
> Ciao,
>
> Giovanni

___________________________________

AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o el consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este mensaje es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no puede ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o divulgacion con cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor destruya su contenido y avise a su remitente.
En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.

Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su contenido esta libre de virus.
This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is free of viruses.

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Noury Bouraqadi
Great ! Thanks Giovanni.

Noury
Le 4 sept. 06 à 11:04, Giovanni Corriga a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> we've finally decided to give another go at the Weekly Squeak
> newsletter.
>
> TWS has now become a blog, which at the moment is hosted by
> wordpress.com .
> We will be posting news during the whole week, so be sure either to
> check the website everyday ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/ )
> or to
> subscribe to the RSS feed ( http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/feed/ ).
>
> Every monday we'll post a summary of the news of the past week.
>
> We'll start this new run of The Weekly Squeak with a nice surprise:
> live
> reports from the ESUG 2006 conference!
>
> Ciao,
>
> Giovanni

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: a Free Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Michael Rueger-6

the web site for Sophie is http://sophieproject.org. Well, at least it
will be ;-)
The are download links on the developer site http://dev.sophieproject.org.
We are in the process of getting a release ready, so the current
available downloads are more or less development snapshots, but you are
welcome to give them a try anyways.

The web site for impara is http://impara.de/index_engl.html

Michael

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> I have seen in your blog that there where a demo on different squeak
> developments and I would like to get more information about them, and
> even, if its possible, a runnable example, specially on Sophie from the
> Future of the Book project, and from the people of Impara (wold be nice
> also to know more about the others).
>
> May be you can get me more info with the authors, I'm trying to get
> downloadable and executable examples of the software, but they seem not
> available.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mar, 05/09/2006 alle 08.32 -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna
Cárdenas ha scritto:
> Hi Giovanni,
>
> I have seen in your blog that there where a demo on different squeak
> developments [SNIP]

Just a quick note on a side point: the Weekly Squeak is not my personal
blog. While at the moment I'm the only one posting, the blog will be the
collective effort of the Squeak News team
( http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/news ).

Joining the News team is also a good way for getting deep into the
Squeak community. So if any of you would be interested in working on the
Weekly Squeak (with articles, newsbits, interviews, reports), we'll be
happy to have you on board.

        Giovanni

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

stéphane ducasse-2

On 6 sept. 06, at 10:08, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the web site for Sophie is http://sophieproject.org. Well, at least
> it will be ;-)

Excellent logo!

> The are download links on the developer site http://
> dev.sophieproject.org.
> We are in the process of getting a release ready, so the current
> available downloads are more or less development snapshots, but you
> are welcome to give them a try anyways.

Excellent!

> The web site for impara is http://impara.de/index_engl.html
>
> Michael

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Hi Michael,

I don't now if this is the proper place to ask. I'm really interested in
Squeak and Sophie, so now that we're talking on the subject I would like
to make some questions. Please if you have some other more proper place
to ask about Sophie, please point me the place.

Michael Rueger escribió:
> Hi,
>
> the web site for Sophie is http://sophieproject.org. Well, at least it
> will be ;-)
> The are download links on the developer site
> http://dev.sophieproject.org.
I have downloaded the build-6-32.zip
<http://impara.de/sophie/downloads/builds/build-6-32.zip> and uncompress
it. After that I open the image file with the usual squeak interpreter I
get this error messages:

MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject >> AsURI

and then I go to the opened workspace and I executed the first command
and I get this:

Error: A primitive has failed.

and then it freezes.
> We are in the process of getting a release ready, so the current
> available downloads are more or less development snapshots, but you
> are welcome to give them a try anyways.
Count me on your beta tester newbie team. I'm becoming some kind of
"Squeak Freak" (TM :-P)... I feel that I have found a nice place for being.

> The web site for impara is http://impara.de/index_engl.html

Thanks. I have browsed it, but I can't find any demo version of the site.
> Michael

Thanks,

Offray

___________________________________

AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o el consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este mensaje es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no puede ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o divulgacion con cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor destruya su contenido y avise a su remitente.
En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.

Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su contenido esta libre de virus.
This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is free of viruses.

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Michael Rueger-6
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I don't now if this is the proper place to ask. I'm really interested in
> Squeak and Sophie, so now that we're talking on the subject I would like
> to make some questions. Please if you have some other more proper place
> to ask about Sophie, please point me the place.

you can subscribe to the sophie mailing list.
I'll add the information to the site asap, so others can look it up as
well :-)

> I have downloaded the build-6-32.zip
> <http://impara.de/sophie/downloads/builds/build-6-32.zip> and uncompress

You need to download the release versions, not the builds. Sophie relies
on quite a few plugins and external files which are all packaged in the
release.

Michael

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

For the moment I'm trying to spread the word about Squeak using a local
community Wiki for documentation:

www.el-directorio.org/CategorySqueak

I see that most of the spanish wikis about squeak are not updated
frequently (I use this MoinMoin python powered wiki instead of the
previous Smalltalk ones because I know better the syntax of the former).
There is some kind of squeak ring with sites of news, wikis, and so on
to join it?

Cheers,

Offray

___________________________________

AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o el consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este mensaje es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no puede ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o divulgacion con cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor destruya su contenido y avise a su remitente.
En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.

Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su contenido esta libre de virus.
This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is free of viruses.

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas

Michael Rueger escribió:

[...]
> you can subscribe to the sophie mailing list.
> I'll add the information to the site asap, so others can look it up as
> well :-)

I will be wating for that list.

>> I have downloaded the build-6-32.zip
>> <http://impara.de/sophie/downloads/builds/build-6-32.zip> and uncompress
>
> You need to download the release versions, not the builds. Sophie
> relies on quite a few plugins and external files which are all
> packaged in the release.

I have downloaded the build060906-3 and then uncompress the contents of
the /Sophie.app/Contents/Resources/ folder in my hard disk. Then I ran
the sophie.image file located in that folder and click on "Update
Sophie" button (all went fine), and then on "Start Sophie" but I get two
error windows, one says something like "FT2Error: FreeType2 primitive
failed [error ..." and the other one "Error: Instances of
UndefinedObject are not in..." (I can't resize the windows to see it
properly, the environment doesn't respond to any click. ¿What I'm making
wrong? (I don't know if this is related with the use of Linux instead of
Mac).

Cheers and thanks again for Sophie,

Offray

___________________________________

AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o el consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este mensaje es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no puede ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o divulgacion con cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor destruya su contenido y avise a su remitente.
En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.

Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su contenido esta libre de virus.
This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is free of viruses.

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Brad Fuller
Michael Rueger wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I don't now if this is the proper place to ask. I'm really interested
>> in Squeak and Sophie, so now that we're talking on the subject I
>> would like to make some questions. Please if you have some other more
>> proper place to ask about Sophie, please point me the place.
>
> you can subscribe to the sophie mailing list.
Where does one subscribe? It is not listed here:

Re: The Weekly Squeak is back!

Bert Freudenberg
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Rueger escribió:
>
> [...]
>> you can subscribe to the sophie mailing list.
>> I'll add the information to the site asap, so others can look it up as
>> well :-)
>>
> I will be wating for that list.
>>
>>> I have downloaded the build-6-32.zip
>>> <http://impara.de/sophie/downloads/builds/build-6-32.zip> and uncompress
>>
>> You need to download the release versions, not the builds. Sophie
>> relies on quite a few plugins and external files which are all
>> packaged in the release.
>>
> I have downloaded the build060906-3 and then uncompress the contents of
> the /Sophie.app/Contents/Resources/ folder in my hard disk. Then I ran
> the sophie.image file located in that folder and click on "Update
> Sophie" button (all went fine), and then on "Start Sophie" but I get two
> error windows, one says something like "FT2Error: FreeType2 primitive
> failed [error ..." and the other one "Error: Instances of
> UndefinedObject are not in..." (I can't resize the windows to see it
> properly, the environment doesn't respond to any click. ¿What I'm making
> wrong? (I don't know if this is related with the use of Linux instead of
> Mac).

Sophie runs fine under Linux, but only Mac and Windows VMs and plugins
are included in the Sophie download crrently. Sorry.

- Bert -