The bouncing sound

12

The bouncing sound

polishookm
I"m finding that with

[Rectangle forward by 5]
[Rectangle bounce silence]

the rectangle eventually collides with the top of the world and bounces
off in the opposite direction - with no sound ... the bounce is silent.

However, this script

[Rectangle forward by JoyStick's upDown * 8]
[Rectangle bounce silence]

doesn't allow the Rectangle bounce silently off the edge of the world.
In this case, when the rectangle  reaches the top of the world, it makes
a bouncing sound. The exact sound can be selected in the [Rectangle
bounce silence] tile. But selecting 'silence' as the sound doesn't seem
to work.

Am I missing something obvious? Shouldn't it be possible to silence the
bounce?

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
Hi, polishookm,

I cannot reproduce the phenomenon you describe in any image I have
close to hand -- not in Squeak 3.9, not in Squeakland3.8-05, and not
in the OLPC etoys image.   (Can anyone else?)

What version of Squeak are you using?  If it's 3.10, I'll leave it for
other 3.10 users to track this down, since I don't have a copy of 3.10
handy.

Otherwise, perhaps you could email me a copy of a project of yours
which exhibits this symptom...

Cheers,

-- Scott

On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:38 PM, polishookm wrote:

> I"m finding that with
>
> [Rectangle forward by 5]
> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>
> the rectangle eventually collides with the top of the world and
> bounces off in the opposite direction - with no sound ... the bounce
> is silent.
>
> However, this script
>
> [Rectangle forward by JoyStick's upDown * 8]
> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>
> doesn't allow the Rectangle bounce silently off the edge of the
> world. In this case, when the rectangle  reaches the top of the
> world, it makes a bouncing sound. The exact sound can be selected in
> the [Rectangle bounce silence] tile. But selecting 'silence' as the
> sound doesn't seem to work.
>
> Am I missing something obvious? Shouldn't it be possible to silence
> the bounce?

Re: The bouncing sound

polishookm
Scott,

Here's a project file that demonstrates the problem. I'm working in the
most recent ver. of Squeak from www.squeak.org (just downloaded a few
days ago) .... 3.9-final-7067

When I activate the script with the object controlled by a joystick, the
first few times it hits the top of the world and it's silent - all is
well. But at some point, after 3 or 4 or 5 collisions, it's no longer
silent.

All help much appreciated and thanks very much in advance for looking at
the project (made by a student in the class I'm teaching).

Ab,

Mark

Scott Wallace wrote:

> Hi, polishookm,
>
> I cannot reproduce the phenomenon you describe in any image I have
> close to hand -- not in Squeak 3.9, not in Squeakland3.8-05, and not
> in the OLPC etoys image.   (Can anyone else?)
>
> What version of Squeak are you using?  If it's 3.10, I'll leave it for
> other 3.10 users to track this down, since I don't have a copy of 3.10
> handy.
>
> Otherwise, perhaps you could email me a copy of a project of yours
> which exhibits this symptom...
>

> Cheers,
>
> -- Scott
>

> On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:38 PM, polishookm wrote:
>
>> I"m finding that with
>>
>> [Rectangle forward by 5]
>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>
>> the rectangle eventually collides with the top of the world and
>> bounces off in the opposite direction - with no sound ... the bounce
>> is silent.
>>
>> However, this script
>>
>> [Rectangle forward by JoyStick's upDown * 8]
>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>
>> doesn't allow the Rectangle bounce silently off the edge of the
>> world. In this case, when the rectangle  reaches the top of the
>> world, it makes a bouncing sound. The exact sound can be selected in
>> the [Rectangle bounce silence] tile. But selecting 'silence' as the
>> sound doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious? Shouldn't it be possible to silence
>> the bounce?

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

GLPong.002.pr (101K) Download Attachment

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
Hi, Mark,

What you're hearing is not a sound associated with the "bounce" but
rather a sound associated with an object hitting the "fence".

The "fence" is a feature that makes a "forward" command which would
take an object beyond the edge of its container result in the the
object's jiggling back into the field of view, accompanied by a
special "fence" sound.  The intent is to reduce the incidence of
"runaways" when beginners write scripts using "forward" which rapidly
take an object beyond an edge of its container, thus making it
disappear.

When using "bounce", it's advisable to *disable* the "fence", because
the interactions between the logic of the two features can produce
confusing results.

Use the world's "playfield options" menu to disable the fence.

However, without the fence, in your student's example, there seem to
be situations in which the the paddle overshoots the boundary and
disappears.  I think you could eliminate these situations by slightly
reducing the factor used in the paddle's script1.

In the olpc/etoys image, there's an added preference that suppresses
the fence *sound*, thus allowing the fence feature to be used to keep
an object within its container's bounds but without the annoyance of
hearing the "fence" sound.  But this is not in 3.9.

These two features -- a container's "fence" feature and the ability
for a moving object to request "bounce" -- have always, unhappily,
been somewhat in conflict.  For the "next" system we expect to have a
much more harmonious and consistent and understandable way of offering
such things.

BTW, unless you have a compelling reason to be using 3.9, and
particularly if tile-scripting is the main focus of your class I
suggest that you have your students use a Squeakland image rather than
a 3.9 or 3.10, simply because extensive enhancements, fixes, and
documentation for tile-scripting ("etoys") are available in the
Squeakland images.  But if you do decide to switch, it's probably best
to wait a short while until the "new Squeakland image" gets released.
This will be based on the OLPC-etoys image, which is the system in
which all the advances in etoys have been made over the past 18 months
-- hundreds of bug-fixes, feature-enhancements, performance
improvement, example projects, tutorials, and other documentation,
plus a large user community.

Cheers,

   -- Scott

On Feb 20, 2008, at 8:29 PM, polishookm wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Here's a project file that demonstrates the problem. I'm working in
> the most recent ver. of Squeak from www.squeak.org (just downloaded
> a few days ago) .... 3.9-final-7067
>
> When I activate the script with the object controlled by a joystick,
> the first few times it hits the top of the world and it's silent -
> all is well. But at some point, after 3 or 4 or 5 collisions, it's
> no longer silent.
>
> All help much appreciated and thanks very much in advance for
> looking at the project (made by a student in the class I'm teaching).
>
> Ab,
>
> Mark
>

> Scott Wallace wrote:
>> Hi, polishookm,
>>
>> I cannot reproduce the phenomenon you describe in any image I have
>> close to hand -- not in Squeak 3.9, not in Squeakland3.8-05, and
>> not in the OLPC etoys image.   (Can anyone else?)
>>
>> What version of Squeak are you using?  If it's 3.10, I'll leave it
>> for other 3.10 users to track this down, since I don't have a copy
>> of 3.10 handy.
>>
>> Otherwise, perhaps you could email me a copy of a project of yours
>> which exhibits this symptom...
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Scott
>>

>> On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:38 PM, polishookm wrote:
>>
>>> I"m finding that with
>>>
>>> [Rectangle forward by 5]
>>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>>
>>> the rectangle eventually collides with the top of the world and
>>> bounces off in the opposite direction - with no sound ... the
>>> bounce is silent.
>>>
>>> However, this script
>>>
>>> [Rectangle forward by JoyStick's upDown * 8]
>>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>>
>>> doesn't allow the Rectangle bounce silently off the edge of the
>>> world. In this case, when the rectangle  reaches the top of the
>>> world, it makes a bouncing sound. The exact sound can be selected
>>> in the [Rectangle bounce silence] tile. But selecting 'silence' as
>>> the sound doesn't seem to work.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something obvious? Shouldn't it be possible to
>>> silence the bounce?

> Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
> Technology Coordinator
> Morehead Hall, Rm 132
> Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
> Montclair State University
> Montclair, NJ 07043
>
> (973)-655-7114
> http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html
> [hidden email]
>
> <GLPong.002.pr>

Re: The bouncing sound

polishookm
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your detailed answer which among other things shows that the
beginners list is "A friendly place to get answers to even the most
basic questions about Squeak."

I'll take a look at the next Squeakland image (and the current one as
well) as you suggest. In the class I'm teaching, I'm working to present
tile scripting and text coding as two sides of the same coin. So I'm not
sure if we'll switch or not but I'm going to be taking a very close look
at all that you mention in that image.

Thanks again for your help,

Mark

--
Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

Re[2]: The bouncing sound

Herbert König
Hello Mark,

p> Here's a project file that demonstrates the problem. I'm working in the
p> most recent ver. of Squeak from www.squeak.org (just downloaded a few
p> days ago) .... 3.9-final-7067

I'm confused by the fact, that the reaction of the paddle to the
joystick reverses after it has bounced.

It even starts reverse when I drag the project onto a fresh 3.9 final.

No experience with etoys but curious.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: The bouncing sound

polishookm
Hi Herbert,

Thanks for trying the project. It's a first attempt (by a student) to
connect behavior of two objects in this case, a paddle and a joystick
mechanism. Like all first attempts, it will likely morph and correct and
revise and clarify itself into something else as the student acquires
more familiarity with tile scripting.

Ab,

Mark

> I'm confused by the fact, that the reaction of the paddle to the
> joystick reverses after it has bounced.
>
> It even starts reverse when I drag the project onto a fresh 3.9 final.
>
> No experience with etoys but curious.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

Re: The bouncing sound

Herbert König
Hi Mark,

p> mechanism. Like all first attempts, it will likely morph and correct and
p> revise and clarify itself into something else as the student acquires
p> more familiarity with tile scripting.

doesn't he know the rule "Never do anything for the first time" :-))

Actually I couldn't find a fault in the script (remember I never used
etoys myself) so I think this is more something counter intuitive in
etoys than a problem of your student.

Herbert König wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> p> mechanism. Like all first attempts, it will likely morph and correct and
> p> revise and clarify itself into something else as the student acquires
> p> more familiarity with tile scripting.
>
> doesn't he know the rule "Never do anything for the first time" :-))

Well stated :) .... actually, perfectly stated :)

> Actually I couldn't find a fault in the script (remember I never used
> etoys myself) so I think this is more something counter intuitive in
> etoys than a problem of your student.

That's an interesting observation. Did you, perchance, play with it to
see what a more intuitive (for you) solution would look like? I had the
same thought when I first examined the project. But because the student
was satisfied with the joystick but not at all with the sound, the (the
sound) became the issue that required a solution.

All suggestions welcome ...

> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

--
Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

Re: The bouncing sound

Herbert König
Hi Mark,

p> That's an interesting observation. Did you, perchance, play with it to
p> see what a more intuitive (for you) solution would look like? I had the

thanks for asking, that made me try :-))

p> All suggestions welcome ...

Nearly everything i know about Etoys is from the Squeak video DVD. So
I opened the viewer of the paddle and it has a tile "PongPaddleA's
heading" which jumps between 0 and 180 when bouncing.

So the simple solution would be to add a "PongPaddleA's heading = 0"
to the script. I thought I'd just have to drop the tile onto the
script. But this doesn't work, the script doesn't accept the tile.

This reminded me of several posts on squeak dev that 3.9 is not good
for etoys. So I guess the Thing to do is follow Scott's advice and use
a Squeakland image.

Dropping the Project onto a 3.8 image doesn't work, this is also
known.

So I redid it from Ground up in my 3.8 image using an arrow as the
pong paddle (guess why). It made the sound but didn't turn on bounce.
There I learned that one has to drag a tile by the arrow to get it
into a script.

Then I tried this in 3.9 and in 3.9 the arrow also didn't turn and the
the trick with fixing the heading of the sketch also worked.

So I proved my accusations on 3.9 unfounded, Sorry 3.9 :-))

Now drop the one who did (against better knowledge) something the
first time and let the project leader speak up.

What I did with fixing the heading of the paddle in the script was "an
ugly hack". The price to pay is more uglyness if we ever want to use
"Paddle turn by Joysticks leftRigt" by having to simulate differential
geometry by "absolute geometry".

So the way to go is find out what makes the Sketch (the inspector
shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there is
a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.

Finally:

- Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
mail

- Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).

- I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
follow this.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
"Bounce" is particularly unsuited to this example, because it reverses
the direction the paddle is "heading" and hence reverses the motion
brought about by "forward" commands.  This makes it hard to retain an
intuitive relationship between the joystick and the motion of the
paddle.

FWIW here's a script giving good, or at least intuitive, joystick/
paddle action:

Cheers,

-- Scott

On Feb 23, 2008, at 5:30 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> p> That's an interesting observation. Did you, perchance, play with
> it to
> p> see what a more intuitive (for you) solution would look like? I
> had the
>
> thanks for asking, that made me try :-))
>
> p> All suggestions welcome ...
>
> Nearly everything i know about Etoys is from the Squeak video DVD. So
> I opened the viewer of the paddle and it has a tile "PongPaddleA's
> heading" which jumps between 0 and 180 when bouncing.
>
> So the simple solution would be to add a "PongPaddleA's heading = 0"
> to the script. I thought I'd just have to drop the tile onto the
> script. But this doesn't work, the script doesn't accept the tile.
>
> This reminded me of several posts on squeak dev that 3.9 is not good
> for etoys. So I guess the Thing to do is follow Scott's advice and use
> a Squeakland image.
>
> Dropping the Project onto a 3.8 image doesn't work, this is also
> known.
>
> So I redid it from Ground up in my 3.8 image using an arrow as the
> pong paddle (guess why). It made the sound but didn't turn on bounce.
> There I learned that one has to drag a tile by the arrow to get it
> into a script.
>
> Then I tried this in 3.9 and in 3.9 the arrow also didn't turn and the
> the trick with fixing the heading of the sketch also worked.
>
> So I proved my accusations on 3.9 unfounded, Sorry 3.9 :-))
>
> Now drop the one who did (against better knowledge) something the
> first time and let the project leader speak up.
>
> What I did with fixing the heading of the paddle in the script was "an
> ugly hack". The price to pay is more uglyness if we ever want to use
> "Paddle turn by Joysticks leftRigt" by having to simulate differential
> geometry by "absolute geometry".
>
> So the way to go is find out what makes the Sketch (the inspector
> shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there is
> a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.
>
> Finally:
>
> - Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
> mail
>
> - Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
> on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).
>
> - I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
> project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
> follow this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

positionPaddle.jpg (16K) Download Attachment

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
And here's a very different, and perhaps nicer, one-line solution.

Cheers,

-- Scott

On Feb 23, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Scott Wallace wrote:

> [...]
>> differential
>> geometry by "absolute geometry".
>>
>> So the way to go is find out what makes the Sketch (the inspector
>> shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there
>> is
>> a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.
>>
>> Finally:
>>
>> - Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
>> mail
>>
>> - Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
>> on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).
>>
>> - I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
>> project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
>> follow this.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

obeyJoystick.jpg (12K) Download Attachment

Re: The bouncing sound

polishookm
Scott, thanks very much for both solutions (and that great explanation
about the fence).

The solution you've proposed here is pretty much what the student began
with. Except his scaling factor was slightly higher.

I'll see if I can post the project once it's finished.

Ab,

Mark

Scott Wallace wrote:

> [...]
>>> shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there is
>>> a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.
>>>
>>> Finally:
>>>
>>> - Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
>>> mail
>>>
>>> - Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
>>> on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).
>>>
>>> - I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
>>> project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
>>> follow this.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning

Thanks for all trying and suggesting .... it's much appreciated - and
provides a lot of context for the classroom. I'm take a look at the
project file you sent It's great to know that so much constructive
feedback is available through the list.

Ab,

Mar,

Herbert König wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>

> p> That's an interesting observation. Did you, perchance, play with it to
> p> see what a more intuitive (for you) solution would look like? I had the
>
> thanks for asking, that made me try :-))
>
> p> All suggestions welcome ...
>
> Nearly everything i know about Etoys is from the Squeak video DVD. So
> I opened the viewer of the paddle and it has a tile "PongPaddleA's
> heading" which jumps between 0 and 180 when bouncing.
>
> So the simple solution would be to add a "PongPaddleA's heading = 0"
> to the script. I thought I'd just have to drop the tile onto the
> script. But this doesn't work, the script doesn't accept the tile.
>
> This reminded me of several posts on squeak dev that 3.9 is not good
> for etoys. So I guess the Thing to do is follow Scott's advice and use
> a Squeakland image.
>
> Dropping the Project onto a 3.8 image doesn't work, this is also
> known.
>
> So I redid it from Ground up in my 3.8 image using an arrow as the
> pong paddle (guess why). It made the sound but didn't turn on bounce.
> There I learned that one has to drag a tile by the arrow to get it
> into a script.
>
> Then I tried this in 3.9 and in 3.9 the arrow also didn't turn and the
> the trick with fixing the heading of the sketch also worked.
>
> So I proved my accusations on 3.9 unfounded, Sorry 3.9 :-))
>
> Now drop the one who did (against better knowledge) something the
> first time and let the project leader speak up.
>
> What I did with fixing the heading of the paddle in the script was "an
> ugly hack". The price to pay is more uglyness if we ever want to use
> "Paddle turn by Joysticks leftRigt" by having to simulate differential
> geometry by "absolute geometry".
>
> So the way to go is find out what makes the Sketch (the inspector
> shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there is
> a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.
>
> Finally:
>
> - Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
> mail
>
> - Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
> on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).
>
> - I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
> project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
> follow this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
Of course it's the "fence" that allows this second solution to work.
If your student didn't know about the "fence", I suppose he/she felt
an urge to use "bounce" in an attempt to contend with the situation at
the boundary, and that led to the complications we've seen.

This is probably a case where trying things out very early in the
authoring process would have been helpful.  Trying out the simple
"forward" script would have revealed that it already worked, with the
only task remaining being to experiment with different values for the
scaling factor to get the best "feel," and hence the siren song of
"bounce" might have been avoided.

Cheers

   -- Scott

On Feb 23, 2008, at 4:56 PM, polishookm wrote:

> Scott, thanks very much for both solutions (and that great
> explanation about the fence).
>
> The solution you've proposed here is pretty much what the student
> began with. Except his scaling factor was slightly higher.
>
> I'll see if I can post the project once it's finished.
>
> Ab,
>
> Mark
>
> Scott Wallace wrote:
>> And here's a very different, and perhaps nicer, one-line solution.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> -- Scott
>>

>> On Feb 23, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Scott Wallace wrote:
>>
>>> "Bounce" is particularly unsuited to this example, because it
>>> reverses the direction the paddle is "heading" and hence reverses
>>> the motion brought about by "forward" commands.  This makes it
>>> hard to retain an intuitive relationship between the joystick and
>>> the motion of the paddle.
>>>
>>> FWIW here's a script giving good, or at least intuitive, joystick/
>>> paddle action:
>>>
>>> <positionPaddle.jpg>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> -- Scott

> Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
> Technology Coordinator
> Morehead Hall, Rm 132
> Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
> Montclair State University
> Montclair, NJ 07043
>
> (973)-655-7114
> http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html

Re: The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace-2
On Feb 23, 2008, at 5:30 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Nearly everything i know about Etoys is from the Squeak video DVD.

The "Squeak Video" is a splendid thing, but expecting to learn how to
use etoys from it would be like expecting to learn how to drive a car
by watching an elegant Mercedes Benz commercial...

Cheers,

   -- Scott_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list

Re: The bouncing sound

polishookm
Hi Scott,

Scott Wallace wrote:
> Of course it's the "fence" that allows this second solution to work.
> If your student didn't know about the "fence", I suppose he/she felt
> an urge to use "bounce" in an attempt to contend with the situation at
> the boundary, and that led to the complications we've seen.

This basically describe the situation. Is there a place somewhere where
the fence is described (other than an email thread)? I know (now) that
the balloon pops up from the playfield option in the World menu ....

> This is probably a case where trying things out very early in the
> authoring process would have been helpful.  Trying out the simple
> "forward" script would have revealed that it already worked, with the
> only task remaining being to experiment with different values for the
> scaling factor to get the best "feel," and hence the siren song of
> "bounce" might have been avoided.
I agree with you on this. But at the same time, in the early process of
working with Squeak/E-toys - or really almost any development
environment, there are significant forces other than logical
progression/procedure that come into play. Having said that, what turned
out to be helpful in class was discussion that ensued about the fence
issue. For  example: (1) how quickly an explanation for the fence was
available on the list, (2) how flexible features in a development
environment are very different from fixed menu choices in an application
(3) how close to the surface the solution actually was, eg, a menu
choice in playfield, (4) soon to surface shortly - the difference
between Squeak and Squeakland, (5), and discussion of the tradeoffs that
features sometimes bring.

.... One more question that seems to have come up. The student found
today that saving the project in 3.9 (as a PR) doesn't seem to be
reliable. At least that's the report I have. The symptom specifically,
is some of the tiles that trigger on and off scripts don't seem to work
after being saved into a PR file (and then being reloaded). I have no
idea at the moment is this is the inexperience of someone new to Squeak
or if its something else. From the students' experience, saving the
project to a PR file is disabling some scripts whereas saving it in an
image seems to be just fine.

I'm going to follow up on this and see what I can learn ....

Ab,

Mark

On Feb 23, 2008, at 11:03 PM, polishookm wrote:

> .... One more question that seems to have come up. The student found
> today that saving the project in 3.9 (as a PR) doesn't seem to be
> reliable. At least that's the report I have. The symptom
> specifically, is some of the tiles that trigger on and off scripts
> don't seem to work after being saved into a PR file (and then being
> reloaded). I have no idea at the moment is this is the inexperience
> of someone new to Squeak or if its something else. From the
> students' experience, saving the project to a PR file is disabling
> some scripts whereas saving it in an image seems to be just fine.

I have almost no experience with etoys in 3.9, so can't speak to this
issue -- sorry.

I've not heard of such issues arising in the versions of Squeak in
which the etoys piece has been actively maintained, i.e. Squeakland
and olpc/etoys.  It would be interesting to hear if your students
encounter the same problems using one of those systems -- if so,
please send along a project illustrating the problem.

Finally, one last time, if you want a modern, up-to-date, documented,
*supported* etoys experience, you'd be well advised to use the olpc/
etoys squeak image (or the forthcoming Squeakland release derived from
that).  These are *not* dumbed-down Squeaks; the "dev" versions are
full-scale, industrial-strength Squeak systems, encompassing all of
3.8, plus Connectors, and incorporating countless enhancements and
fixes.  And a responsible and responsive development team.  And,
blessedly, an update stream.

There are two mailing lists devoted to uses of Squeak in education --
see:

   -- Scott

Re: The bouncing sound

Herbert König
HI Scott,

SW> The "Squeak Video" is a splendid thing, but expecting to learn how to
SW> use etoys from it would be like expecting to learn how to drive a car
SW> by watching an elegant Mercedes Benz commercial...

it's just that I don't do etoys with Squeak but I'm in it since 3.6
and I know that for several reasons I should learn etoys and use the
Squeakland image.

Especially as I'm on 3.8.2 using Squeak in a commercial in house app.

Scott Wallace wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2008, at 11:03 PM, polishookm wrote:
>
>> .... One more question that seems to have come up. The student found
>> today that saving the project in 3.9 (as a PR) doesn't seem to be
>> reliable.

> maintained, i.e. Squeakland and olpc/etoys.  It would be interesting
> to hear if your students encounter the same problems using one of
> those systems -- if so, please send along a project illustrating the
> problem.

Yes, I will follow up on this.

> Finally, one last time, if you want a modern, up-to-date, documented,
> *supported* etoys experience, you'd be well advised to use the
> olpc/etoys squeak image (or the forthcoming Squeakland release derived
> from that).

Ok. Thanks for your persistence. Last night I was exploring the
Squeakland image. A few minutes ago, I downloaded

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

and, just to be sure, this is what you're suggesting that I work with, yes?

Or should I be doing this?

        Building etoys.image from developer's image

Developer's image (etoys-dev.image) is included in the svn repository
http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/etoys/

    * Press 'load code updates' button.
    * Save the image.

    * Place project files for 'Gallery', 'Tutorials', and
      'EtoysActivity' in the image directory.
    * Set screen size to 1200@900 ("Display inspect" helps).

    * Save as 'etoys.image'.
    * And execute:

ReleaseBuilderSqueakland new prepareReleaseImageForOLPC.

Thanks (again) in advance.

> There are two mailing lists devoted to uses of Squeak in education --
> see:

Thanks I joined squeakland last night. Will do the same for etoys later
today ....