The clock face - Panel discussion: Can the American Mind ...

The clock face - Panel discussion: Can the American Mind ...

forster@ozonline.com.au
>> My mental model for arithmetic is a clock face,

The clock face is an interesting programming challenge for languages like
etoys, Scratch and Game Maker which provide good graphics support. It
provides a good context for problem solving and exploring trigonometry. See
a clock at http://www.schoolgamemaker.rupert.id.au/morethan.htm programmed
with Game Maker.

It is worth considering what kids would gain from such an exercise and how
the features of the various languages would affect the learning. How do the
languages compare for depth of learning and ease of use (engagement)? It is
only through considering these questions that Squeak can be made as good as
it can be.

Anybody want to create a clock in etoys or Scratch for comparison? Here is
the Game Maker code
draw_circle(200,200,130,true)

x2=200+100*sin(2*pi*current_second/60)

y2=200-100*cos(2*pi*current_second/60)

draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)

x2=200+100*sin(2*pi*current_minute/60)

y2=200-100*cos(2*pi*current_minute/60)

draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)

x2=200+50*sin(2*pi*(current_hour+current_minute/60)/12)

y2=200-50*cos(2*pi*(current_hour+current_minute/60)/12)

draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)

for(i=0; i<12; i+=1)

{

x1=200+110*sin(2*pi*(i)/12)

y1=200-110*cos(2*pi*(i)/12)

x2=200+125*sin(2*pi*(i)/12)

y2=200-125*cos(2*pi*(i)/12)

draw_line(x1,y1,x2,y2)

}

Re: The clock face - Panel discussion: Can the American Mind ...

Karl-19
Etoys is about piecing together stuff.
Any Player have a heading so you can make scripts like the attached picture.

Yoshiki Ohshima made this project

http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/Clock.004.pr

Karl

Tony Forster wrote:

>>> My mental model for arithmetic is a clock face,
>
> The clock face is an interesting programming challenge for languages
> like etoys, Scratch and Game Maker which provide good graphics
> support. It provides a good context for problem solving and exploring
> trigonometry. See a clock at
> http://www.schoolgamemaker.rupert.id.au/morethan.htm programmed with
> Game Maker.
>
> It is worth considering what kids would gain from such an exercise and
> how the features of the various languages would affect the learning.
> How do the languages compare for depth of learning and ease of use
> (engagement)? It is only through considering these questions that
> Squeak can be made as good as it can be.
>
> Anybody want to create a clock in etoys or Scratch for comparison?
> Here is the Game Maker code
> draw_circle(200,200,130,true)
>
> x2=200+100*sin(2*pi*current_second/60)
>
> y2=200-100*cos(2*pi*current_second/60)
>
> draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)
>
> x2=200+100*sin(2*pi*current_minute/60)
>
> y2=200-100*cos(2*pi*current_minute/60)
>
> draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)
>
> x2=200+50*sin(2*pi*(current_hour+current_minute/60)/12)
>
> y2=200-50*cos(2*pi*(current_hour+current_minute/60)/12)
>
> draw_line(200,200,x2,y2)
>
> for(i=0; i<12; i+=1)
>
> {
>
> x1=200+110*sin(2*pi*(i)/12)
>
> y1=200-110*cos(2*pi*(i)/12)
>
> x2=200+125*sin(2*pi*(i)/12)
>
> y2=200-125*cos(2*pi*(i)/12)
>
> draw_line(x1,y1,x2,y2)
>
> }

clock.png (12K) Download Attachment

Re: The clock face - Panel discussion: Can the American Mind ...

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Your screenshot is really funny!

We have some examples aswell:

http://swiki.ofset.org:8000/super.17