The new release is hot

Casey Ransberger-2
Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.

I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.

I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.

So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.

Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...

--Casey

Re: The new release is hot

Frank Shearar-3
On 28 December 2013 13:10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.
>
> I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.
>
> I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.
>
> So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.
>
> Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...

We do not as yet have release notes for 4.5 (at least, as far as I
know). If some had to magically appear, say from the Seattle area, I
do not think that anyone would complain!

frank

Re: The new release is hot

Chris Muller-3
Thanks Casey.  Just a reminder suggestion that we have this page:

       http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189

which we can use to document and coordinate (and link to other pages
if it gets too big).

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.
>
> I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.
>
> I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.
>
> So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.
>
> Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...
>
> --Casey

Re: The new release is hot

Frank Shearar-3
On 29 December 2013 17:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Casey.  Just a reminder suggestion that we have this page:
>
>        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189
>
> which we can use to document and coordinate (and link to other pages
> if it gets too big).

It's still premature, but I created http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6192
for 4.6, with the idea that if we decide to move anything out of the
above page (in other words defer any work to 4.6), we have a place to
put the todo items.

frank

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Casey Ransberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.
>>
>> I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.
>>
>> I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.
>>
>> So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.
>>
>> Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...
>>
>> --Casey

Re: The new release is hot

Casey Ransberger-2
Awesome! My next question was going to be, "other than the stuff I'm following, what else did y'all do this time?"

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29 December 2013 17:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Casey.  Just a reminder suggestion that we have this page:
>
>        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189
>
> which we can use to document and coordinate (and link to other pages
> if it gets too big).

It's still premature, but I created http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6192
for 4.6, with the idea that if we decide to move anything out of the
above page (in other words defer any work to 4.6), we have a place to
put the todo items.

frank

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Casey Ransberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.
>>
>> I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.
>>
>> I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.
>>
>> So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.
>>
>> Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...
>>
>> --Casey

Re: The new release is hot

Casey Ransberger-2
Um, and this time, do we have anyone who can properly update the website when the new bits are out? Seems like the download links are never right. I might still have keys to get into the FTP box lying around somewhere if I look hard enough, but I don't think I can get into the web boxen.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Awesome! My next question was going to be, "other than the stuff I'm following, what else did y'all do this time?"

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29 December 2013 17:53, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Casey.  Just a reminder suggestion that we have this page:
>
>        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189
>
> which we can use to document and coordinate (and link to other pages
> if it gets too big).

It's still premature, but I created http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6192
for 4.6, with the idea that if we decide to move anything out of the
above page (in other words defer any work to 4.6), we have a place to
put the todo items.

frank

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Casey Ransberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Forgive my wasting a bit of bandwidth here. I just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with the discussion I've seen around the new release, and the efforts that have gone into it.
>>
>> I'm really glad that folks decided to embrace Environments. I do look forward to naming my classes whatever I want and not worrying about global namespace collisions. This is one of the biggest complaints I've seen pitching Squeak in corporate environments. I'd actually like to use this system at work, so that's a big deal to me.
>>
>> I'm also really pleased with the effort around disentangling all of the circular dependencies. Squeak has needed this for a long time.
>>
>> So basically: thanks everyone, this is fantastic work, and the future is a little brighter than it was before.
>>
>> Also: is there anything that I can do to help out with the upcoming release? Figured I'd see about giving something back to folks who read all the way to the bottom of this post. Do we have release notes yet? Etcetera...
>>
>> --Casey

Re: The new release is hot

timrowledge
I just had a moment to look at the to-do list (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189) to see if there is anything I might be able to quickly solve. For a moment I thought I’d take a look at

> • Fix the Smalltalk #appendChangesTo: so we can have a fresh sources file with each Squeak release

but I can’t spot a report on Mantis explaining what’s wrong and the code looks reasonable so far - so what is/was the problem?

tim
...now touch these wires to your tongue!

Re: The new release is hot

timrowledge

On 30-12-2013, at 6:10 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just had a moment to look at the to-do list (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189) to see if there is anything I might be able to quickly solve.

Also taking a quick look at removing the
        • Remove senders of #isThisEverCalled.

Amongst other things it makes it obvious what an astounding number of redundantly unnecessarily repeated redundant classes we seem to have grown. Just in list-y morph-y things
AlternatePluggableListMorphOfMany
PluggableListMorph
PluggableListMorphByItem
PluggableListMorphPlus
PluggableListMorphByItemPlus
PluggableMessageCategoryListMorph
PluggableMultiColumnListMorph
PluggableMultiColumnListMorphByItem
SimpleHierarchicalListMorph
EToyHierarchicalTextMorph
MorphHierarchyListMorph
MorphHierarchyListMorph
PluggableDropDownListMorph
.. which surely is too many. It would help is more than a couple of them had comments…

So a proposal for a major target for the next release - get rid of lots of stuff!

tim
Strange OpCodes: MII: Mask all Interrupts and then Interrupt

Re: The new release is hot

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 December 2013 02:10, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just had a moment to look at the to-do list (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189) to see if there is anything I might be able to quickly solve. For a moment I thought I’d take a look at
>
>>       • Fix the Smalltalk #appendChangesTo: so we can have a fresh sources file with each Squeak release
>

> but I can’t spot a report on Mantis explaining what’s wrong and the code looks reasonable so far - so what is/was the problem?

It's that I'd really wanted to have a Squeak4.4.image,
Squeak4.4.changes and a SqueakV44.sources. Squeak 4.5 would have a
SqueakV45.sources, and so on. (Currently we're still running with
SqueakV41.sources.) But no, there's no Mantis report, and there should
be.

frank

> tim
> ...now touch these wires to your tongue!

Re: The new release is hot

Karl Ramberg
And the number button morphs could be reduced quite a bit.

Cheers,
Karl

On 30-12-2013, at 6:38 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30-12-2013, at 6:10 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I just had a moment to look at the to-do list (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189) to see if there is anything I might be able to quickly solve.
>
> Also taking a quick look at removing the
> • Remove senders of #isThisEverCalled.

OK, so most senders have been dealt with. Several implementations of #list: appear to only be sent by other implementations in the same tree but I’m not comfortable removing them just yet.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BSO: Branch Sort Of