The new site looks great! [EOM]

Casey Ransberger-2

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Muller-3
I hope you don't actually like that yellow checkerboard, do you?  I
think fixing that would help the aesthetics, It practically makes me
cross-eyed.

It would be nice if the Squeak logo would be displayed somewhere on the site.

I would like to see the old site available from the "Archive" tab.

I think the Projects tab should promote _Squeak_ projects and let
pharo.org promote the Pharo projects.

I like to read Craig's blog, could we get a link to his blog too from
the Blogs link?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Casey Ransberger

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

marcel.taeumel (old)
I think the colors are all messed up and the spacing needs to be fixed. The forward/backward buttons besides the central screenshot have a strange offset upwards. The screenshots are kind of confusing and do not actually promote the features they aim to visualize.

How about applying some visual concepts that are well known from other popular sites? Hmmm... what about Twitter's Bootstrap? Or, to get started, we could use a harmonizing color scheme. -> http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Maybe we can promote our features in tiles like www.fogcreek.com does. Big, sliding screenshots could be used for cool projects that actually use that features. Maybe we can just get rid of that slideshow because the site visitor has almost no control about it. And it does present those features at a glance. I found this interesting to read: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/auto-forwarding/

"Squeak is a modern, open source, full-featured implementation of the powerful Smalltalk programming language and environment. Squeak is highly-portable, running on almost any platform you could name and you can really truly write once run anywhere. Squeak is the vehicle for a wide range of projects from multimedia applications and educational platforms to commercial web application development. Read on and join in!" --- What are the definitions of "modern" and "powerful"? Do we need those adjectives? Isn't it paradox to say "highly-portable" and "almost any platform" in one sentence? How does "really truly" provide any argument to a site visitor? What actually *is* the target group of this advertisement? ;)

Most importantly: The download link on the home page should be *above the fold*

Just my two cents. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

marcel.taeumel (old)
As for the background: Maybe we could use a more subtle pattern: http://subtlepatterns.com/ (maybe even for the next Squeak release).

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Cunnington-3
Hi Marcel,

Those are some worthwhile criticisms. If you post them on the webteam list, then there will be a record of them in a place where they can be of some use.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

marcel.taeumel (old)
Hi Chris,

why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Cunnington-3
>why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
>a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)

That's a good question. I don't know.

Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Frank Shearar-3
On 25 March 2014 16:19, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
>>a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)
>

> That's a good question. I don't know.

The webteam list is more about administering the website, and boring
admin/infrastructure stuff. It would be great if people posted website
bugs there, but I have no problem with people posting the same kinds
of issues here. Anyone reading the webteam list should also be reading
squeak-dev because hey, it's the main list.

frank

> Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Casey Ransberger-2
There are always things that can be improved. Mainly what I'm liking here, though…

- Larger text looks better on crazy high rez displays.

- Less clutter removes distraction from primary use cases, like...

- …easily finding the current all-in-one.

Deltas might include:

- Higher contrast in the text would help.

- Sidebars might make sense, as much of the content is currently below the fold (at least on my display.)

- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)

Overall though, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Casey

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25 March 2014 16:19, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>why are there so many mailing lists? :-/ I think that the webteam should be
>>a frequent reader of squeak-dev. :)
>

> That's a good question. I don't know.

The webteam list is more about administering the website, and boring
admin/infrastructure stuff. It would be great if people posted website
bugs there, but I have no problem with people posting the same kinds
of issues here. Anyone reading the webteam list should also be reading
squeak-dev because hey, it's the main list.

frank

> Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Cunnington-3
- Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)

Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.

Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 05:52:47PM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> > - Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)
>
> Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
> You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.

Tough crowd is good. That's how you know people are paying attention :-)

The new Cog VM text looks good, and the link to Newspeak from the projects
page is great.

I think the "Virtual Machine" link on the top of the page should point us to
squeakvm.org, yes?

There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael Perscheid
about the Path Tools Framework:

  https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/pathToolsFramework

I'm not sure any of us has had a chance to digest it, but this is clearly some
very impressive work, so maybe we can give it some exposure by linking it from
our "Projects" tab.

Dave

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:08 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 05:52:47PM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> > - Maybe the pattern in the background could be replaced:)
>
> Yea, OK. It sucked. I've changed it. You're dentist will love it.
> You have to admit, though. You're a pretty rough crowd.

Tough crowd is good. That's how you know people are paying attention :-)

The new Cog VM text looks good, and the link to Newspeak from the projects
page is great.

I think the "Virtual Machine" link on the top of the page should point us to
squeakvm.org, yes?

No, cuz that's where the More... link on the VM text also points.  Personally I prefer Virtual Machine getting to that text.  We can improve it and add links to the bottom.  But it already points to  squeakvm.org via the first link in the Virtual Machine text.

--
best,
Eliot

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Cunnington-3
>There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael Perscheid
about the Path Tools Framework
OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the bottom of the Virtual Machine page.

Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Muller-3
Hey Chris, could I please get Magma added back to the Projects page too?

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665

Thanks!

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael
>> Perscheid
> about the Path Tools Framework
>
> OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
> Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the bottom
> of the Virtual Machine page.
>
> Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Raymond Asselin-4

The link that Chris sent suggest that Magma is for squeak 4.4. What about Squeak 4.5 ?

Raymond

> Le 2014-03-26 à 09:45, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hey Chris, could I please get Magma added back to the Projects page too?
>
>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There have recently been some very impressive announcements from Michael
>>> Perscheid
>> about the Path Tools Framework
>>
>> OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
>> Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the bottom
>> of the Virtual Machine page.
>>
>> Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Cunnington-3
Magma. Check.  Added to the list.

Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Chris Muller-3
Yes, Magma is currently only released for Squeak 4.4, but I will
prepare a release for 4.5 soon.

I hope everyone will release new versions of their projects for 4.5
(and for each new release of Squeak, in fact).

I could be wrong, but Phobos might be a Pharo-only project.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Raymond Asselin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The link that Chris sent suggest that Magma is for squeak 4.4. What about Squeak 4.5 ?
>
> Raymond
>
>> Le 2014-03-26 à 09:45, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hey Chris, could I please get Magma added back to the Projects page too?
>>
>>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2665
>>
>> Thanks!

>>> about the Path Tools Framework
>>>
>>> OK. I'll add a link in the Projects section.
>>> Eliot's right about the link to squeakvm.org. It's the first at the bottom
>>> of the Virtual Machine page.
>>>
>>> Chris

Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Pavel Krivanek

Yes, Magma is currently only released for Squeak 4.4, but I will
prepare a release for 4.5 soon.

I hope everyone will release new versions of their projects for 4.5
(and for each new release of Squeak, in fact).

I could be wrong, but Phobos might be a Pharo-only project.

Phobos has WebClient support so it can run on Squeak but it will be not maintained if there will be no interest from the Squeak community (currently there is none). The latest configurations stopped to take Squeak into account.

-- Pavel