The operating system: should there be one?

1 message Options

The operating system: should there be one?

Español (Spanish) mailing list
Recien, gracias al sitio de @morplenauta llegue a @avibryant a quien ya
seguia, pero no habia leido su reciente tweet, que apunta a:

http://plosworkshop.org/2013/preprint/kell.pdf

Abstract
Operating systems and programming languages are often informally
evaluated on their conduciveness towards composition. We
revisit Dan Ingalls’ Smalltalk-inspired position that “an operating
system is a collection of things that don’t fit inside a language; there
shouldn’t be one”, discussing what it means, why it appears not to
have materialised, and how we might work towards the same effect
in the postmodern reality of today’s systems. We argue that the trajectory
of the “file” abstraction through Unix and Plan 9 culminates
in a Smalltalk-style object, with other filesystem calls as a primitive
metasystem. Meanwhile, the key features of Smalltalk have many
analogues in the fragmented world of Unix programming (including
techniques at the library, file and socket level). Based on the
themes of unifying OS- and language-level mechanisms, and increasing
the expressiveness of the meta-system, we identify some
evolutionary approaches to a postmodern realisation of Ingalls’ vision,
arguing that an operating system is still necessary after all.

Lo mio es un apostolado ;-)

Nos leemos!

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez