The success of Grants

Ron Teitelbaum
Hello all,

I received a reply from Ton Roosendaal who runs the Blender Foundation.  He
shared his experiences with grants, and said I could share his thoughts with
you.

I agree with Ton that if we are going to fund projects that a professional
atmosphere, proper administration and management, will help to achieve
better results.  We might consider funding research projects administered by
a University, or managed by a company.

Ron Teitelbaum

From: Ton Roosendaal

Hi,

 From Blender Foundation experience:

We've participated twice in the Google Summer of Code, grants for
students to work for two months on a coding project. Results of this is
very mixed; it mostly depends on the professional attitude of a
student. A downside of this approach is that it divides
volunteers/hobbiests a bit... students get paid for what others do for
free. That's why it is perceived like a lottery; some people just got
the luck to be granted.

We've also hired a couple of times active volunteers to do servicing
(website, development support). In almost all cases, the contributions
they did while getting paid was less (quantitive as well as in quality)
than what they did for free.

In 2004, a student of the Amsterdam University graduated on a research
on this topic, the results of a survey she did in the Blender community
is summarized here:
http://download.blender.org/documentation/bc2004/Martine_Aalbers/
results-summary.pdf
I've asked her to also look at how financial rewards would work in our
projects. Her conclusion was that this has the danger of diminishing
motivation. In scientific research on other communities, this is called
"crowding out".
Her entire paper is unfortunately only available in Dutch:
http://download.blender.org/documentation/bc2004/Martine_Aalbers/
MartineAalbers.pdf

As an alternative, I then decided to experiment with another approach.
This became the "Orange Open Movie" project, which has resulted in the
3D animation short "Elephants Dream". The target was to establish a
temporal but highly professional studio in Amsterdam, and invite key
members of the community to come over to work for half a year on
realizing a movie short.
That project worked out great in all aspects. It helped Blender
development, it helped our 'brand', it increased commitment from the
active volunteers as well as from professionals.

This leads to a separation of two groups of contributors to Blender;
- volunteers: people who contribute to Blender without getting paid.
- professionals: people who contribute to Blender as part of their
daytime job.

It's important to realize that 'volunteers' still can be highly
professional in their contributions. For example a 3D developer working
for company XXX can contribute to Blender in his spare time still. This
seperation is not about quality of work, but about differencing ways
for how to support contributors.

My current conclusion is that - when money gets involved - it's
important to participate in an existing professional environment, or to
create one yourself (like we did for studio Orange), or to help people
to setup a business to become 'professional'.
We didn't give out large grants yet, but if we will do I would look at
sponsoring companies/organizations to hire Blender developers/artists
for projects.

For volunteers, what works quite well is more incidental support:
- sponsored hardware (we got boards from ATI and Nvidia for example)
- small grants for creating documentation (or helping creating books)
- organize events, and give volunteers expenses coverage, free access,
drinks/dinners
- art/movie festivals with prizes

-Ton-

Re: The success of Grants

Joshua Gargus-2
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> [...]
> seperation is not about quality of work, but about differencing ways
> for how to support contributors.
>
> My current conclusion is that - when money gets involved - it's
> important to participate in an existing professional environment, or to
> create one yourself (like we did for studio Orange), or to help people
> to setup a business to become 'professional'.
> We didn't give out large grants yet, but if we will do I would look at
> sponsoring companies/organizations to hire Blender developers/artists
> for projects.
>
> For volunteers, what works quite well is more incidental support:
> - sponsored hardware (we got boards from ATI and Nvidia for example)
> - small grants for creating documentation (or helping creating books)
> - organize events, and give volunteers expenses coverage, free access,

Re: The success of Grants

Joshua Gargus-2
Sorry for the last email.

Ron, that was very interesting.  Thanks for asking the question.
Too bad Martine's full paper isn't available in English.

I wonder how the "crowding out" effect differs between working
on one's pet project, and doing something that is not really fun,
but is necessary.  For example, I'm not intrinsically motivated to
write tools to support harvesting, so there would probably be
no negative effect from receiving an extrinsic reward.

I think the idea of funding a production using Blender is a great
idea.  I'm not sure what the analogue is for Squeak, though.  I
can think of some things (eg: building tools for collaborative
development in Croquet), but everyone will have their own
idea, and there seems nothing so clear-cut as using Blender to
make a movie.

Josh

RE: The success of Grants

Ron Teitelbaum
I think we should try to figure out what is going to upset people, and will
funding projects alienate people in this community and keep them from
participating.

I believe that Ton has hit on something that I think will help.  It would
seem to me that what will upset people more then anything else is spending
donated money and not receiving back proper value for that money.  If we do
receive back proper value for the investment then everyone benefits since we
all use the software.

There could be other problems like a sense of favoritism, jealousy or
unfairness.  For example someone could think they could do a better job then
the person selected for a grant or they are working harder then the person
getting paid without receiving anything for their contribution so payment in
general is not fair.

I believe that by raising the bar, by insisting on a professional management
type atmosphere, that has real structure and accountability, most people
would feel more comfortable about this type of grant.

The three major things that should happen are.  We should agree on what task
or event we want, and what the value of that task or event is to the
community.  Then we should partner with someone that is willing to
administer the project, either a business or educational institution that
may or may not have a financial stake in the project and may or may not
receive some benefit themselves.  At that point we need to have highly
qualified community members screen applicants so that we can all be assured
that the candidate can provide the value we are looking for.  The process
should be open and transparent with frequent updates as to status.

I think we could all benefit from more movement and development.  For me
it's a good idea.

Ron Teitelbaum

libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

Avi  Bryant

On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> The three major things that should happen are.  We should agree on
> what task
> or event we want, and what the value of that task or event is to the
> community.  Then we should partner with someone that is willing to
> administer the project, either a business or educational
> institution that
> may or may not have a financial stake in the project and may or may
> not
> receive some benefit themselves.  At that point we need to have highly
> qualified community members screen applicants so that we can all be
> assured
> that the candidate can provide the value we are looking for.  The
> process
> should be open and transparent with frequent updates as to status.

So, here's a quick experiment - maybe more along the lines of a
bounty than a grant.  I would love for an open source libCURL plugin
to exist.  If there's anyone out there who would like some funding to
do that work, contact me and I'll arrange it.

Cheers,
Avi

Re: libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

danil osipchuk
Avi,
I'd like to participate in the experiment (not that i believe that this an
easy way to get beer, but i think squeakers should start  doing such kind
of stuff :)).
So, here is the initial version of the libcurl binding for the start:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5865
I've compiled it on Windows, I think that it should compile normally on
other platorms (one needs to have a working vwmaker setup and libcurl and
openssl libs&headers installed, obviously).
Making it robust and feature-complete will require additional effort, i
may do it myself or give it away to anybody who wishes

regards,
        Danil

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>
>> The three major things that should happen are.  We should agree on what
>> task
>> or event we want, and what the value of that task or event is to the
>> community.  Then we should partner with someone that is willing to
>> administer the project, either a business or educational institution
>> that
>> may or may not have a financial stake in the project and may or may not
>> receive some benefit themselves.  At that point we need to have highly
>> qualified community members screen applicants so that we can all be
>> assured
>> that the candidate can provide the value we are looking for.  The
>> process
>> should be open and transparent with frequent updates as to status.
>
> So, here's a quick experiment - maybe more along the lines of a bounty
> than a grant.  I would love for an open source libCURL plugin to exist.
> If there's anyone out there who would like some funding to do that work,
> contact me and I'll arrange it.
>
> Cheers,
> Avi

RE: libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

Ron Teitelbaum
That's terrific!!!

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sep 4, 2006, at 4:51 AM, danil osipchuk wrote:

> Avi,
> I'd like to participate in the experiment (not that i believe that
> this an easy way to get beer, but i think squeakers should start
> doing such kind of stuff :)).
> So, here is the initial version of the libcurl binding for the
> start: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5865'

Awesome.  It looks like this blocks the VM for now, right?  It would
of course be most-useful to get the non-blocking API working... but
in the meantime, where do I send the beer?

> I've compiled it on Windows, I think that it should compile
> normally on other platorms (one needs to have a working vwmaker
> setup and libcurl and openssl libs&headers installed, obviously).
> Making it robust and feature-complete will require additional
> effort, i may do it myself or give it away to anybody who wishes

Well, to flesh out the experiment: I'll put up a $1500 USD bounty for
the finished version (including compiled plugins for Mac/Windows/
Linux).  Danil, if others come forward to help, I nominate you to do
the split.

Cheers,
Avi

Re: libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

johnmci
I'll gladly help with the Mac plugin compile once it's a bit further
along.

On 5-Sep-06, at 3:11 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 4:51 AM, danil osipchuk wrote:
>
>> Avi,
>> I'd like to participate in the experiment (not that i believe that
>> this an easy way to get beer, but i think squeakers should start
>> doing such kind of stuff :)).
>> So, here is the initial version of the libcurl binding for the
>> start: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5865'
>
> Awesome.  It looks like this blocks the VM for now, right?  It
> would of course be most-useful to get the non-blocking API
> working... but in the meantime, where do I send the beer?
>
>> I've compiled it on Windows, I think that it should compile
>> normally on other platorms (one needs to have a working vwmaker
>> setup and libcurl and openssl libs&headers installed, obviously).
>> Making it robust and feature-complete will require additional
>> effort, i may do it myself or give it away to anybody who wishes
>
> Well, to flesh out the experiment: I'll put up a $1500 USD bounty
> for the finished version (including compiled plugins for Mac/
> Windows/Linux).  Danil, if others come forward to help, I nominate
> you to do the split.
>
> Cheers,
> Avi

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

danil osipchuk
Ok, even a part of that is certainly enough for writing on my back as a
subject for contemplation on week-ends for my wife :)
And sure - non-blocking version is a requirement for the release of
"non-beer" version.
I think this thing will not be abandoned ;)

        Danil

> I'll gladly help with the Mac plugin compile once it's a bit further
> along.
>
> On 5-Sep-06, at 3:11 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
>

>> On Sep 4, 2006, at 4:51 AM, danil osipchuk wrote:
>>
>>> Avi,
>>> I'd like to participate in the experiment (not that i believe that
>>> this an easy way to get beer, but i think squeakers should start
>>> doing such kind of stuff :)).
>>> So, here is the initial version of the libcurl binding for the start:
>>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5865'
>>
>> Awesome.  It looks like this blocks the VM for now, right?  It would of
>> course be most-useful to get the non-blocking API working... but in the
>> meantime, where do I send the beer?
>>
>>> I've compiled it on Windows, I think that it should compile normally
>>> on other platorms (one needs to have a working vwmaker setup and
>>> libcurl and openssl libs&headers installed, obviously).
>>> Making it robust and feature-complete will require additional effort,
>>> i may do it myself or give it away to anybody who wishes
>>
>> Well, to flesh out the experiment: I'll put up a $1500 USD bounty for
>> the finished version (including compiled plugins for Mac/
>> Windows/Linux).  Danil, if others come forward to help, I nominate you
>> to do the split.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Avi

> ===
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> ===

Re: libCURL binding (was Re: The success of Grants)

stéphane ducasse-2
Cool!
I applaude loudy (in silence).

Stef