The website points ... How come?

Jerome Peace
Hi Karl

Thanks for the quick reply.

>And I will kick the ball back to you :-) You are
welcome to work with us.

Thank you, but no. Not my cup of tea. Also, I don't
see many others doing what is my cup.
So I think I'm needed where I am.

>The website points would be users of squeak to 3.9
RC1 7061 not 7067. How come?

>karl karl.ramberg at chello.se
>Wed Dec 6 06:35:01 UTC 2006 wrote:
>
>Jerome Peace skrev:
>> The first thing you see at: http://www.squeak.org/
>>
>> is
>>
>> Squeak
>>
>> News
>>
>> * 2006-09-08: Squeak 3.9 is announced.
>> Congratulations. Download links and ftp archives
are

>> not yet updated.
>> * 2006-09-07: Squeak Weekly News are back:
>> http://weeklysqueak.wordpress.com/
>> * 2006-05-26: 3.8 current download for MacOS has
>> updated vm to Squeak 3.8.12beta4U.app.zip
>> etc.
>> -----
>>
>> Clicking on Squeak 3.9 starts the download to your
>> system of the out of date Squeak 3.9 RC1 7061.
>>
>Thank you for the feedback.
>I was sure I updated the links a while back... I'll
fix it.
>(Lame excuse: I think the website image was restarted
a and we have not
>snapshot it recently)

Good results come from good decisions.
Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

Welcome to another fine learning experience.

>> This seems to me wrong in two ways and dangerous.
>>
>> First it seems odd to me that clicking the news
item
>> starts the download rather than directing you to a
>> download page.
>>
>You are right, I'll point to the download page.
>> Secondly is seems odd and dangerous for any
reputation
>> squeak might want to build for itself that the main
>> page of the website starts off with such old news.
>>
>This is true.
>> I leave it to the board and the web team to work
out
>> policy and practice to correct this.
>>
>Time passes quick and news get out of date...
>I'll try to keep it more up to date.

It occurs to me that something that needs (NEEDS) to
happen on a periodic basis is a job (JOB).
And the board may need to fund for it and hire someone
to do it.

Things that can happen whenever they happen will get
done. They get done someone who loves to do them can
find the time. That's how we get the best into squeak.

Somethings remain more urgent and insistent. We should
get the board to think about funding news and link
maintenence.

>Karl
>> Yours in service, --Jerome Peace

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Funding (was Re: The website points ... How come?)

timrowledge

On 7-Dec-06, at 9:16 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Somethings remain more urgent and insistent. We should
> get the board to think about funding news and link
> maintenence.

It isn't the board that needs to fund {whatever} it's *you*. All of
you. Until we manage to come up with a way of charging a micropayment
per message send we-the-foundation will depend upon donations from
you-the-users.
http://www.squeak.org/Donate/

tim
Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Funding (was Re: The website points ... How come?)

stephane ducasse
Hi tim

Sorry that I exit my reserve,
But donate the foundation for doing what?
I left the foundation mainly because we were not spending the money
we got and people could not
see the use of their donations. So what jerome is mentioning makes
sense. People could donate much more
money if they would see it serves making squeak better and its
infrastructure. (ok for the moment the servers are paid) but
much more could be done. So the foundation could be a funnel for
funds raising. For, for example, building tools
to help the harvesting process: a build and test server and all kind
of other things.

Stef

>> Somethings remain more urgent and insistent. We should
>> get the board to think about funding news and link
>> maintenence.
>
> It isn't the board that needs to fund {whatever} it's *you*. All of
> you. Until we manage to come up with a way of charging a
> micropayment per message send we-the-foundation will depend upon
> donations from you-the-users.
> http://www.squeak.org/Donate/
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: Funding

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Tim,

funds isn't everything and not everything is funds, there also must be
people willing to work for money. Look what happened to you

-
http://www.google.com/search?q=tim+%22could+you+make+a+proposal%22+site:lists.squeakfoundation.org

/Klaus