Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Claudio Acciaresi

Hello, we (Nicolas Butarelli and Claudio Acciaresi ) are from Buenos Aires ,  Argentina , we’re going to implement a new (we are not going to refactor the hierarchy, we are going to implement the hierarchy from scratch) Smalltalk Collection ((our idea is  to be complaint with the ANSI Smalltalk Collection protocol) Hierarchy using Traits.

We would like to know if someone can tell us, how to set up a Trait browser, because we have been trying to use different version, but none of them work fine.

Does anyone know the exact package and squeak version, that we need to use a Trait browser?
Any opinion on this idea will also be useful, if you have comments, please tell us.

Thanks a lot.

Nicolas and Claudio.

¡Sé un mejor fotógrafo!
Perfeccioná tu técnica y encontrá las mejores fotos.
Visitá http://ar.yahoo.com/promos/mejorfotografo.html

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Tapple Gao
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:46:18PM -0700, claudio acciaresi wrote:

>    Hello, we (Nicolas Butarelli and Claudio Acciaresi ) are from Buenos Aires
>    ,  Argentina , we*re going to implement a new (we are not going to
>    refactor the hierarchy, we are going to implement the hierarchy from
>    scratch) Smalltalk Collection ((our idea is  to be complaint with the ANSI
>    Smalltalk Collection protocol) Hierarchy using Traits.
>
>    We would like to know if someone can tell us, how to set up a Trait
>    browser, because we have been trying to use different version, but none of
>    them work fine.
>
>    Does anyone know the exact package and squeak version, that we need to use
>    a Trait browser?
>    Any opinion on this idea will also be useful, if you have comments, please
>    tell us.

You don't need a Traits-aware browser to use traits. The can be used
and modified just fine from a normal browser. See
ClassDescription's definition for an example of how

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Claudio Acciaresi
Yes, you 're right, actually that is what we are doing now, but it would be very useful for us to be able to use the traits browsers.

Thanks a lot for you answer.
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:46:18PM -0700, claudio acciaresi wrote:

>    Hello, we (Nicolas Butarelli and Claudio Acciaresi ) are from Buenos Aires
>    ,  Argentina , we*re going to implement a new (we are not going to
>    refactor the hierarchy, we are going to implement the hierarchy from
>    scratch) Smalltalk Collection ((our idea is  to be complaint with the ANSI
>    Smalltalk Collection protocol) Hierarchy using Traits.
>
>    We would like to know if someone can tell us, how to set up a Trait
>    browser, because we have been trying to use different version, but none of
>    them work fine.
>
>    Does anyone know the exact package and squeak version, that we need to use
>    a Trait browser?
>    Any opinion on this idea will also be useful, if you have comments, please
>    tell us.

You don't need a Traits-aware browser to use traits. The can be used
and modified just fine from a normal browser. See
ClassDescription's definition for an example of how

¡Sé un mejor besador!
Compartí todo lo que sabés sobre besos en
http://ar.yahoo.com/promos/mejorbesador.html

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Van Tuan Le
Hi,

I'm a new smalltalker, and have known about trait for several days :). I don't know if this link would be helpful for you.

Regards,

--
Matthew Fulmer -- <a href="http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
Help improve Squeak Documentation: <a href="http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

¡Sé un mejor besador!
Compartí todo lo que sabés sobre besos en

--
Le Van Tuan

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

Göran Krampe
> Hi,
> I'm a new smalltalker, and have known about trait for several days :). I
> don't know if this link would be helpful for you.
>
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.htm
>
> Regards,
>
> On 9/6/07, claudio acciaresi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you 're right, actually that is what we are doing now, but it would
>> be very useful for us to be able to use the traits browsers.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for you answer.

Damien Cassou-3

you can just use the squeak-dev images:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev.html and OmniBrowser (the
browser accessible through the ToolsFlap menu or under the name
'ImageBrowser' in the open... menu or using OBSystemBrowserAdaptor
when asked).

It works really well for traits. From this image, you can upgrade the
OB-TraitsIntegration packages from http://source.wiresong.ca/ob/. This
contains a lot of work from Juraj Kubelka. The future release of
squeak-dev will contain the latest version of his work.

Bye

2007/9/6, claudio acciaresi <[hidden email]>:

> Hello, we (Nicolas Butarelli and Claudio Acciaresi ) are from Buenos Aires ,
>  Argentina , we're going to implement a new (we are not going to refactor
> the hierarchy, we are going to implement the hierarchy from scratch)
> Smalltalk Collection ((our idea is  to be complaint with the ANSI Smalltalk
> Collection protocol) Hierarchy using Traits.
> We would like to know if someone can tell us, how to set up a Trait browser,
> because we have been trying to use different version, but none of them work
> fine.
>
> Does anyone know the exact package and squeak version, that we need to use a
> Trait browser?
> Any opinion on this idea will also be useful, if you have comments, please
> tell us.
>

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Nicolas and Claudio.
>  ________________________________
>
> ¡Sé un mejor fotógrafo!
> Perfeccioná tu técnica y encontrá las mejores fotos.
>  Visitá http://ar.yahoo.com/promos/mejorfotografo.html

--
Damien Cassou

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

stephane ducasse
EXCELLENT. I ***really*** wnat to see that.

On 6 sept. 07, at 02:46, claudio acciaresi wrote:

> Hello, we (Nicolas Butarelli and Claudio Acciaresi ) are from
> Buenos Aires ,  Argentina , we’re going to implement a new (we are
> not going to refactor the hierarchy, we are going to implement the
> hierarchy from scratch) Smalltalk Collection ((our idea is  to be
> complaint with the ANSI Smalltalk Collection protocol) Hierarchy
> using Traits.
>
> We would like to know if someone can tell us, how to set up a Trait
> browser, because we have been trying to use different version, but
> none of them work fine.
>
> Does anyone know the exact package and squeak version, that we need
> to use a Trait browser?
> Any opinion on this idea will also be useful, if you have comments,
> please tell us.

It would be really nice to do it the same way damien did it: write
test that can be run on the current implementation
and the new one.

I would love to see if we can get implementation traits and interface
traits. For example can we have different
dictionary sharing the same interface but using different
implementations.

Please keep me in the loop.
Stef

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Nicolas and Claudio.
>

> ¡Sé un mejor fotógrafo!
> Perfeccioná tu técnica y encontrá las mejores fotos.
> Visitá http://ar.yahoo.com/promos/mejorfotografo.html

Re: Thesis - Implementing the Smalltalk Collection Hierarchy usings traits

hernan.wilkinson
Hi Stef!,
 the process we thought with Claudio and Nicolas to follow is this one:
 1) Take a concrete class of the Collection hierarchy, for example OrderedCollection
 2) Create a new class (ie. XOrderedCollection) with Object as super class
 3) Take a message of the ANSI Smalltalk of the selected class (OrderedCollection)
 4) Write a test, make it work with the selected class (OrderedCollection)
 5) Make the test written in 4) work with the class created in steep 2. ( XOrderedCollection)
 6) Repeat 3,4 and 5 until all messages of the selected class (OrderedCollection) are implemented in the other class (XOrderedCollection)
 7) Select another concrete class from the Collection hierarchy (for example Array) and repeat steps from 2 to 6.
 8) Repeat steep 7 until there are enough new implementations to infer traits.
 9) Refactor the new classes into traits... and play with the model until we feel comfortable with the result.

 To put a limit in the project, they are going to implement just the ANSI Collection hierarchy (remember that it is a master thesis...)

 We thought that doing it this way the new implementation is not going to be "guided" by the old one, we will just keep the concrete classes names but not the hierarchy necessarily...

 Please, feel free to let us know what you thing about this process, if you have other ideas, etc.

 Thanks,
 Hernan.