Things to improve in 5.3

Edgar De Cleene
Some to improve is FileList .
In the left panel menu we should have choices to see directories as
date,name,size like we have in the right panel for files

Objects Flaps show Connectors and Kedama, but both seems incomplete.
Or a complete suite or remove from .image

Edgar
@morplenauta

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

timrowledge

> On 2019-09-17, at 3:08 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Some to improve is FileList .
> In the left panel menu we should have choices to see directories as
> date,name,size like we have in the right panel for files

Other file list related improvements might involve fixing the remote directories stuff; a couple of years ago I pointed out that the ServerDirectory & FTP classes weren't in good operating condition, not to mention that the exemplar server was the very dead st.cs.uiuc.edu.

FTP isn't really a lot of use these days but surely somebody would enjoy making it sftp (or similar) capable?

Alternatively, dump that code as useless.

tim
Strange OpCodes: MII: Mask all Interrupts and then Interrupt

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

Tobias Pape

> On 17.09.2019, at 19:28, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 2019-09-17, at 3:08 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Some to improve is FileList .
>> In the left panel menu we should have choices to see directories as
>> date,name,size like we have in the right panel for files
>
> Other file list related improvements might involve fixing the remote directories stuff; a couple of years ago I pointed out that the ServerDirectory & FTP classes weren't in good operating condition, not to mention that the exemplar server was the very dead st.cs.uiuc.edu.
>
> FTP isn't really a lot of use these days but surely somebody would enjoy making it sftp (or similar) capable?

careful,sftp is ssh-based and a different beast.
ftps (ie, ftp over ssl/tls) is seldom used and way slower.

FTP is still used in a _lot_ of places…

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Alternatively, dump that code as useless.
>

> tim

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

Hannes Hirzel
The question is what can still be done for 5.3 and what has to wait for 5.4.

--Hannes

On 9/17/19, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 17.09.2019, at 19:28, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2019-09-17, at 3:08 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some to improve is FileList .
>>> In the left panel menu we should have choices to see directories as
>>> date,name,size like we have in the right panel for files
>>
>> Other file list related improvements might involve fixing the remote
>> directories stuff; a couple of years ago I pointed out that the
>> ServerDirectory & FTP classes weren't in good operating condition, not to
>> mention that the exemplar server was the very dead st.cs.uiuc.edu.
>>
>> FTP isn't really a lot of use these days but surely somebody would enjoy
>> making it sftp (or similar) capable?
>
> careful,sftp is ssh-based and a different beast.
> ftps (ie, ftp over ssl/tls) is seldom used and way slower.
>
> FTP is still used in a _lot_ of places…
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>

>> Alternatively, dump that code as useless.
>>

>> tim

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

Hannes Hirzel
Maybe a larger default width for the directory display?
As a preference? Or dependant on the screen size?

On 9/17/19, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question is what can still be done for 5.3 and what has to wait for
> 5.4.
>
> --Hannes

>>> Other file list related improvements might involve fixing the remote
>>> directories stuff; a couple of years ago I pointed out that the
>>> ServerDirectory & FTP classes weren't in good operating condition, not
>>> mention that the exemplar server was the very dead st.cs.uiuc.edu.
>>>
>>> FTP isn't really a lot of use these days but surely somebody would enjoy
>>> making it sftp (or similar) capable?
>>
>> careful,sftp is ssh-based and a different beast.
>> ftps (ie, ftp over ssl/tls) is seldom used and way slower.
>>
>> FTP is still used in a _lot_ of places…
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>>

>>> Alternatively, dump that code as useless.
>>>

>>> tim

FileSaver_default_width_for_directory_display_Screenshot_2019-09-17.png (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

marcel.taeumel
Hi Hannes,

there are grips to change size manually:

I think it is too big for a dialog. At the moment, the implementation falls back to Model >> #initialExtent, which does already consider the current screen real-estate.

Also, there seems to be something odd with the list of files' width. It's too wide.

A horizontal scrollbar in the directory tree might also help. :-)

Best,
Marcel

On 9/17/19, H. Hirzel wrote:

> The question is what can still be done for 5.3 and what has to wait for
> 5.4.
>
> --Hannes

>>> Other file list related improvements might involve fixing the remote
>>> directories stuff; a couple of years ago I pointed out that the
>>> ServerDirectory & FTP classes weren't in good operating condition, not
>>> mention that the exemplar server was the very dead st.cs.uiuc.edu.
>>>
>>> FTP isn't really a lot of use these days but surely somebody would enjoy
>>> making it sftp (or similar) capable?
>>
>> careful,sftp is ssh-based and a different beast.
>> ftps (ie, ftp over ssl/tls) is seldom used and way slower.
>>
>> FTP is still used in a _lot_ of places…
>>
>> Best regards
>> -Tobias
>>

>>> Alternatively, dump that code as useless.
>>>

>>> tim

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Marcel and Edgar.

Thank you Marcel for the updates to the File save dialog.

An update to Squeak5.3alpha-18937 is necessary to see the result.

@Edgar: What do you think?

Regards
Hannes

On 9/18/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> there are grips to change size manually:
>

> I think it is too big for a dialog. At the moment, the implementation falls
> back to Model >> #initialExtent, which does already consider the current
> screen real-estate.
>
> Also, there seems to be something odd with the list of files' width. It's
> too wide.
>
> A horizontal scrollbar in the directory tree might also help. :-)
>
> Best,
> Marcel
> Am 17.09.2019 20:00:18 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> Maybe a larger default width for the directory display?
> As a preference? Or dependant on the screen size?
>
> On 9/17/19, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> The question is what can still be done for 5.3 and what has to wait for
>> 5.4.
>>
>> --Hannes

>>> careful,sftp is ssh-based and a different beast.
>>> ftps (ie, ftp over ssl/tls) is seldom used and way slower.
>>>
>>> FTP is still used in a _lot_ of places…
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> -Tobias

Re: Things to improve in 5.3

marcel.taeumel
I think Edgar was referring to FileList:

Best,
Marcel