Thinking about my next machine.

Alan Grimes-2
Due to my _L_I_N_U_X_ computer's utter and complete inability to render
 3D graphics, I'm pondering my first upgrade in four years. The machine
was built in the fall of 2003. While it remains _GROSSLY EXCESSIVE_ for
all my daily needs, wants, desires, and plans, it can't do Croquet in
it's current state. =(

My first idea was a Sun workstation. It supports OpenGL 1.5 without
Windows (HURRAY), and is not a pukey x86. -- I think I can save up the
$10,000 in about a year's time.

Another idea is to fill one (or both!) of my 64 bit PCI slots with a
Clear Speed board. The point being to maximize the machine's ability to
support realtime raytracing. Let the owners of rasterization engines
wallow in obsolescence. ;) Still, it's 8,000 and I'd take the risk that
I wouldn't be able to convert OpenCroquet to use realtime RT...

Or, I could suck it up and get the new many x86 (ugh) Apple workstation
for about as much as the Sun. =\

However, the future of personal computing is looking brighter than it
has in a decade. The nascant backlash against Vista will surely ruin
Microsoft. If you look at Microsoft's balance sheets, you will see that
their core (and only) profit center in Windows and Office, are holding
the rest of their loss-making empire together. As this customer-driven
revolution picks up steam, who knows how quickly the status quo will
crumble? I can only hope that Microsoft won't be able to get it's act
together! =P

Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Brad Fuller-3
Alan Grimes wrote:

> Due to my _L_I_N_U_X_ computer's utter and complete inability to render
>  3D graphics, I'm pondering my first upgrade in four years. The machine
> was built in the fall of 2003. While it remains _GROSSLY EXCESSIVE_ for
> all my daily needs, wants, desires, and plans, it can't do Croquet in
> it's current state. =(
>
> My first idea was a Sun workstation. It supports OpenGL 1.5 without
> Windows (HURRAY), and is not a pukey x86. -- I think I can save up the
> $10,000 in about a year's time.
>
> Another idea is to fill one (or both!) of my 64 bit PCI slots with a
> Clear Speed board. The point being to maximize the machine's ability to
> support realtime raytracing. Let the owners of rasterization engines
> wallow in obsolescence. ;) Still, it's 8,000 and I'd take the risk that
> I wouldn't be able to convert OpenCroquet to use realtime RT...
>
> Or, I could suck it up and get the new many x86 (ugh) Apple workstation
> for about as much as the Sun. =\
>
> However, the future of personal computing is looking brighter than it
> has in a decade. The nascant backlash against Vista will surely ruin
> Microsoft. If you look at Microsoft's balance sheets, you will see that
> their core (and only) profit center in Windows and Office, are holding
> the rest of their loss-making empire together. As this customer-driven
> revolution picks up steam, who knows how quickly the status quo will
> crumble? I can only hope that Microsoft won't be able to get it's act
> together! =P

What's the speed of your CPU? It can't be that slow if built in 2003.
Why not get an Nvidia 5200 based card? That's where you really need the
speed for Croquet. And, it'll only cost you about $40 from newegg.

brad

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com
+1 (408) 799-6124

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Joshua Gargus-2
Whoa, you're having trouble getting Croquet running on Linux, and
you're considering buying a Sun workstation.  That's C-R-A-Z-Y, my
friend.  I don't recall hearing anyone trying to run Croquet on a Sun
(let alone succeeding).

Just buy a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro (or even a MacBook, although I find
the graphics card to be pretty wimpy) and be happy.

Josh

On Apr 5, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> Due to my _L_I_N_U_X_ computer's utter and complete inability to
> render
>  3D graphics, I'm pondering my first upgrade in four years. The
> machine
> was built in the fall of 2003. While it remains _GROSSLY EXCESSIVE_
> for
> all my daily needs, wants, desires, and plans, it can't do Croquet in
> it's current state. =(
>
> My first idea was a Sun workstation. It supports OpenGL 1.5 without
> Windows (HURRAY), and is not a pukey x86. -- I think I can save up the
> $10,000 in about a year's time.
>
> Another idea is to fill one (or both!) of my 64 bit PCI slots with a
> Clear Speed board. The point being to maximize the machine's
> ability to
> support realtime raytracing. Let the owners of rasterization engines
> wallow in obsolescence. ;) Still, it's 8,000 and I'd take the risk
> that
> I wouldn't be able to convert OpenCroquet to use realtime RT...
>
> Or, I could suck it up and get the new many x86 (ugh) Apple
> workstation
> for about as much as the Sun. =\
>
> However, the future of personal computing is looking brighter than it
> has in a decade. The nascant backlash against Vista will surely ruin
> Microsoft. If you look at Microsoft's balance sheets, you will see
> that
> their core (and only) profit center in Windows and Office, are holding
> the rest of their loss-making empire together. As this customer-driven
> revolution picks up steam, who knows how quickly the status quo will
> crumble? I can only hope that Microsoft won't be able to get it's act
> together! =P

> Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Alan Grimes-2
> What's the speed of your CPU? It can't be that slow if built in 2003.
> Why not get an Nvidia 5200 based card? That's where you really need the
> speed for Croquet. And, it'll only cost you about $40 from newegg.

That's because I bought my current card for the exact same reason after
doing extensive research, sucessfully experamenting with a vastly
inferior card, and paying a goodly chunk of change. It worked -- briefly.

WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!!!

Opera: Sing it loud! :o(  )>-<

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Mark P. McCahill
buy a MacBook Pro

it just works.

On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:37 PM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Whoa, you're having trouble getting Croquet running on Linux, and
> you're considering buying a Sun workstation.  That's C-R-A-Z-Y, my
> friend.  I don't recall hearing anyone trying to run Croquet on a
> Sun (let alone succeeding).
>
> Just buy a Mac Pro or MacBook Pro (or even a MacBook, although I
> find the graphics card to be pretty wimpy) and be happy.
>
> Josh

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Ric Moore
On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 21:28 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> Due to my _L_I_N_U_X_ computer's utter and complete inability to render
>  3D graphics, I'm pondering my first upgrade in four years. The machine
> was built in the fall of 2003. While it remains _GROSSLY EXCESSIVE_ for
> all my daily needs, wants, desires, and plans, it can't do Croquet in
> it's current state. =(

Alan, I have literally had to wail on my machine to get croquet to run
under FC6 and an nVidia 5200 video card. The problem, as I have managed
to resolve it so far, is to install the mesa-libGL packages. I've had
little luck using the libGL that is on the card. I dunno why, except
that it provides only version 1.4 and using the software I can get
openGL version 2.0. Write me directly and we'll work on getting your's
running, if at all possible. I've been all around the block and may have
acquired something <taps noggin> that might be of use to you. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Bill Allen-4
Alan Grimes wrote:

>> What's the speed of your CPU? It can't be that slow if built in 2003.
>> Why not get an Nvidia 5200 based card? That's where you really need the
>> speed for Croquet. And, it'll only cost you about $40 from newegg.
>>

> That's because I bought my current card for the exact same reason after
> doing extensive research, sucessfully experamenting with a vastly
> inferior card, and paying a goodly chunk of change. It worked -- briefly.
>
> WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!!!

For what it's worth, my 2004 era desktop with an Nvidia 5200 based card,
running ubuntu edgy runs croquet out of the box.

Re: Thinking about my next machine.

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2007 April 6 01:01, Alan Grimes wrote:
> > What's the speed of your CPU? It can't be that slow if built in 2003.
> > Why not get an Nvidia 5200 based card? That's where you really need the
> > speed for Croquet. And, it'll only cost you about $40 from newegg.
>
> That's because I bought my current card for the exact same reason after
> doing extensive research, sucessfully experamenting with a vastly
> inferior card, and paying a goodly chunk of change. It worked -- briefly.

What video card do you now have?

I use
        - NVidia 5200
        - OpenSuse 10.2
        - This process works:
                - Go to Online Update
                - Select "Installable and installed software"
                - click on "NVidia proprietary drive" (ok I know)
                - restart X
                - OpenGL works

I realize there are annoyingly too many admin programs in various Linux
versions, but at least one works (actually I know others do too, but have not
recently used it)

In the past I had a problem something kept symlinking /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
to /usr/lib/libMesaGL.so instead of /usr/lib/libNVidia.....so

You may want to check 'ls -l /usr/lib/*GL*' and send it here...

Milan