Third and final installment of the Quick and Dirty Guide to Creating a Croquet World now available

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Third and final installment of the Quick and Dirty Guide to Creating a Croquet World now available

Matthew Schmidt-2
Folks,

I've completed the third and final installment of the Quick and  Dirty Guide to Creating a Croquet World.

http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-part-iii-adding.html

I would really appreciate any and all feedback from the community about whether these guides are helpful and how they can be improved. My next endeavor will be outlining how to create a customized world. I will definitely need your help for this, as I am by no means a Croquet guru.

My belief is that these guides are long overdue, and in the sense of Free and Open Source Software, I would like to offer them to the community under the GNU Free Documentation License. I decided not to go with the Creative Commons license, as there is some confusion regarding this license. Many are not aware that it has a number of variations, so when they see something with a Creative Commons license, they equate it with, "I can do whatever I want with it for free." I want to have any changes submitted back to me so that I can improve the documentation. Hence the choice to go with GFDL.

In a more general sense, I believe this contribution is in line with the documentation section of the Croquet project roadmap, specifically the "Cookbook" section (see below). David, if you're tuned in, please feel free to use these tutorials to this end.

CroquetDocumentation

Description The documentation for Croquet needs to include a number of documents.

1. User's Guide – this document introduces new users to Croquet, how to set it up, how to connect to other users, and how to extend the system via a scripting engine.
  2. Programmer's Guide – Describes how to develop Croquet applications, and gives an overview of the philosophy and architecture.
  3. Programmer's Reference – The components of the architecture are described in detail, such that the programmer can easily reference functional capabilities by name or by description.
  4. Cookbook – Describes how to construct numerous example applications.

Status Preliminary documents have been developed, though these will have to be mostly rewritten.

Priority Critical

-Matt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third and final installment of the Quick and Dirty Guide to Creating a Croquet World now available

Matthew Schmidt-2
Um... P.S., could someone be so kind to post these tutorials to the Croquet wiki? It looks like open editing is not enabled.

-Matt

On 10/14/07, Matthew Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,

I've completed the third and final installment of the Quick and  Dirty Guide to Creating a Croquet World.

<a href="http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-part-iii-adding.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2007/10/quick-and-dirty-guide-part-iii-adding.html

I would really appreciate any and all feedback from the community about whether these guides are helpful and how they can be improved. My next endeavor will be outlining how to create a customized world. I will definitely need your help for this, as I am by no means a Croquet guru.

My belief is that these guides are long overdue, and in the sense of Free and Open Source Software, I would like to offer them to the community under the GNU Free Documentation License. I decided not to go with the Creative Commons license, as there is some confusion regarding this license. Many are not aware that it has a number of variations, so when they see something with a Creative Commons license, they equate it with, "I can do whatever I want with it for free." I want to have any changes submitted back to me so that I can improve the documentation. Hence the choice to go with GFDL.

In a more general sense, I believe this contribution is in line with the documentation section of the Croquet project roadmap, specifically the "Cookbook" section (see below). David, if you're tuned in, please feel free to use these tutorials to this end.

CroquetDocumentation

Description The documentation for Croquet needs to include a number of documents.

1. User's Guide – this document introduces new users to Croquet, how to set it up, how to connect to other users, and how to extend the system via a scripting engine.
  2. Programmer's Guide – Describes how to develop Croquet applications, and gives an overview of the philosophy and architecture.
  3. Programmer's Reference – The components of the architecture are described in detail, such that the programmer can easily reference functional capabilities by name or by description.
  4. Cookbook – Describes how to construct numerous example applications.

Status Preliminary documents have been developed, though these will have to be mostly rewritten.

Priority Critical

-Matt