To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    anybody know if there is a way to disable the automatic change of := for _ in squeak? I'm using 3.9 and every time I compile a method I get the code forced to _ where I take the job to write := and, additionally makes that code useless outside Squeak by a silly syntax reason unless postprocessed.

    Any clue appreciated,

    cheers,

Sebastian

Re: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Michael Davies-2
On 13/05/07, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>     anybody know if there is a way to disable the automatic change of := for
> _ in squeak? I'm using 3.9 and every time I compile a method I get the code
> forced to _ where I take the job to write := and, additionally makes that
> code useless outside Squeak by a silly syntax reason unless postprocessed.

Hi Sebastian,
open the preference browser and check syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment

Cheers,
Michael

RE: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Sebastian Sastre-2
Nice! I'll better have a deeper look into this preferences browser he he

        thanks a lot

Sebastian Sastre

Chris Muller-3
I look forward to when both of these options are removed from the
standard image.  Then it will do what it always should have, nothing.
Just keep what the user typed.  Until then, unchecking both of them
will do just that.

On 5/14/07, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice! I'll better have a deeper look into this preferences browser he he
>
>         thanks a lot
>
> Sebastian Sastre

Andrew Tween
Hi,
> I look forward to when both of these options are removed from the
> standard image.

Those options are not part of the standard image; they are added by Shout, and
Shout is not part of the standard image.

> Then it will do what it always should have, nothing.
> Just keep what the user typed.  Until then, unchecking both of them
> will do just that.

In recent releases of Shout, the default values for those preferences are both
unchecked (i.e. preserve what the user typed).
I wonder if the original poster is using an old version of Shout? (or perhaps an
image that has contained an older version of Shout in the past).

Does anyone know what the plan is for 3.10?
Is := to be the only allowable assignment operator, or will _ still be
supported?

Cheers,
Andy

RE: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Sebastian Sastre-2

Hi Andrew,

        I was the one who asked and is a 3.9 image and I do use Shout
looking in squeak map the * is in the 4 version. Is that old? Should I
better load it from squeaksource instead squeak map?

        It's OK to stop using _ for assignation for me (it'll make a little
easier that squeak code to be exported for whatever reason)

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

It is best to use the latest version from squeakMap (which is currently
Shout.3.15-tween.70)

Cheers,
Andy

Re: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Damien Cassou-3
2007/5/15, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Sebastian,
> > I was the one who asked and is a 3.9 image and I do use Shout
> > looking in squeak map the * is in the 4 version. Is that old? Should I
> > better load it from squeaksource instead squeak map?
>
> It is best to use the latest version from squeakMap (which is currently
> Shout.3.15-tween.70)

I would have said that it is best to use an image with everything
up-to-date :-) auto promotion: use a squeak-dev image:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev. They are made explicitly for
that.

Damien Cassou

RE: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Damien,

        yeah, that's the fast option. But how do you develop that "distro"
image? I mean, I would be more interested in automatic process of
customizing reliable images. For instance I download the stable squeak
release and use a script for that. Do you make it that way? Make it by hand?
50% 50%?

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

2007/5/15, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Damien,
>
>         yeah, that's the fast option. But how do you develop that "distro"
> image? I mean, I would be more interested in automatic process of
> customizing reliable images. For instance I download the stable squeak
> release and use a script for that. Do you make it that way? Make it by hand?
> 50% 50%?

Hi Sebastian,

everything is described here: http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers.

Basically:

1- Open a new image either 3.9 or 3.10.
2- If it's a 3.9 install Universe
3- Install the 'Squeak-dev image' package from the universe (category
Squeak Distributions)
4- Save and close

Nothing manual.

Damien Cassou

Re: To keep := instead of forcing automatically a _ for assingation

Lex Spoon-3
"Sebastian Sastre" <[hidden email]> writes:
> yeah, that's the fast option. But how do you develop that "distro"
> image? I mean, I would be more interested in automatic process of
> customizing reliable images. For instance I download the stable squeak
> release and use a script for that. Do you make it that way? Make it by hand?
> 50% 50%?

Stable images cannot be automated.  Somebody has to sort through all
of what is available, test the combination, and report what they found.

A package universe is great for recording a set of current,
believed-stable packages.  The definition of "believed-stable" varies
depending on the particular universe.

Lex