Today's Server Outage

Ken Causey-3
I would like to apologize for the server outage which has resulted in
quiet lists and pretty much zero response for website requests for the
services hosted on the community server.  A lack of communication
resulted in a stack of backed up backup processes which ate up the
usage.  I was finally able to clean up and things should be more or less
back to normal.  For now the daily backup schedule has been suspended
until we work out a replacement setup.

Ken

Re: Today's Server Outage

karl-8
Ken Causey skrev:

> I would like to apologize for the server outage which has resulted in
> quiet lists and pretty much zero response for website requests for the
> services hosted on the community server.  A lack of communication
> resulted in a stack of backed up backup processes which ate up the
> usage.  I was finally able to clean up and things should be more or less
> back to normal.  For now the daily backup schedule has been suspended
> until we work out a replacement setup.
>
> Ken

I think there is a backup thing running for www.squeak.org but that does
not work and just uses up space on the server.

Karl

Re: Today's Server Outage

Ken Causey-3
On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 22:07 +0100, karl wrote:

> Ken Causey skrev:
> > I would like to apologize for the server outage which has resulted in
> > quiet lists and pretty much zero response for website requests for the
> > services hosted on the community server.  A lack of communication
> > resulted in a stack of backed up backup processes which ate up the
> > usage.  I was finally able to clean up and things should be more or less
> > back to normal.  For now the daily backup schedule has been suspended
> > until we work out a replacement setup.
> >
> > Ken

> I think there is a backup thing running for www.squeak.org but that does
> not work and just uses up space on the server.
That's unrelated.  The problem was with the backup of the entire system
to a remote server which no longer responded to such requests and the
backup process which was not content to give up.

As far as space goes, while I certainly don't encourage wasting drive
space, we have plenty for the time being.

Ken