Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

Steve Thomas
So, with some squeak help from Bert, I created a tool (in QuickGuide version and Flap version) you can use to export image(s) from your project.  Here is the Blog Post and the video.

For a really cool way to view the blog (and I hope eventually to view Etoys Projects) check out this view.  Click on the Date, Label, and Author boxes at the top and I think you will get the idea.  So my idea is that when kids "post" their Etoys projects they can post a blog entry (we have a "Squeakland" Blog) and it not only posts the project (.pr file) to the squeakland Web Server, but also gives them a draft Blog post they can edit which has image(s) from the Blog and selected Text they can enter in Etoys. First step is to be able to post to Blogger from Etoys (then facebook, ....).

So the CHALLENGES TO THE COMMUNITY - help me make this happen, here is what I think we need:
  1. squeak code to support using the Google Data API for Blogger and Picasa
  2. Help incorporating that squeak code into Etoys Projects so we can publish directly to Blogger and Picasa
  3. Brain storming on how to design this properly
Some things I believe we should support:
  1. Ability to post to my Blog or my Blog and the Squeakland site
  2. We need a way to aggregate all the Blog posts
    1. one idea is to modify launcher to include some google analytics so we can find and incorporate people's public posts in one spot and select certain public posts to "feature".
    2. we may also want to put the embedded Etoy in an iframe (this would also make incorporating into OERGlue and similar tools to come (a good idea breads copiers).
  3. We need a way classes and Schools can have their own "private spaces" and also share select projects publicly.

Note: The name on Books may not work, I found a bug, then fixed it, but the fix version is not yet showing up on the squeakland site. It will still save all the pages of the book, but it will use the name "Book" all the time (or whatever is the ExternalName for your Book object).

Stephen

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01.04.2011, at 08:52, Steve Thomas wrote:

> How can I (easily, a script would be fine ;) export an image of each page in a book in Etoys? (ideally with the image names being the projectName<Number of page>)

Put this in a textual script for the book:

self costume pages withIndexDo: [:page :i | PNGReadWriter putForm: page imageForm onFileNamed: Project current name , i asString , '.png']

Some requests are easy to satisfy ;)

> I want to try using this to create flikr stream of lessons and to post in blog posts.

Even this could be automated. But it's not going to be a one-liner.

- Bert -

Re: Tools to Export Images from Etoys (eventually directly to a Blog Post)

dcorking
This is a great concept and great news! (I often felt that books were
trapped in Etoys, only visible to readers who bothered to download
Etoys.)

2 thoughts:

(1) What blogging API(s) do Pier and Storymill support?

(2) The VisualWorks Smalltalk program BottomFeeder is open source (
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0 ) and has
quite comprehensive support for four blogging APIs.

# Blogger API
# MetaWebLog API
# Movable Type API
# CST API

BottomFeeder source code might be a good guide to develop similar
capabilities for Etoys.

Hope that helps.
David