Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

12

Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

François Tanguy
Hello,

try this in a workspace (image 10319) :

"First open a Transcript via the world menu"
Transcript clear.
5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]

Behavior is bad.

Now, try the following:

Transcript clear.
Transcript open.
5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]

It is always working.

Is it a known problem ? Should we open an issue ?

François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

Stéphane Ducasse
francois

on squeaksource there is a threadsafeTranscript
can you try it?
The idea is to get it to replace the non thread safe (= defult one).

Stef
On May 28, 2009, at 10:49 PM, François Tanguy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> try this in a workspace (image 10319) :
>
> "First open a Transcript via the world menu"
> Transcript clear.
> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>
> Behavior is bad.
>

> Now, try the following:
>
> Transcript clear.
> Transcript open.
> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>
> It is always working.
>

> Is it a known problem ? Should we open an issue ?
>
> François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

François Tanguy
Yes I already tried but a DNU showed up when trying to execute
"STranscript clear".
The method reset does not exist. See the implementation below.

clear
        "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"

        accessSemaphore critical:
                                [ self changed: #clearText.
                                self reset ]

François

Le 28 mai 09 à 22:56, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> francois
>
> on squeaksource there is a threadsafeTranscript
> can you try it?
> The idea is to get it to replace the non thread safe (= defult one).
>
> Stef
> On May 28, 2009, at 10:49 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> try this in a workspace (image 10319) :
>>
>> "First open a Transcript via the world menu"
>> Transcript clear.
>> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>>
>> Behavior is bad.
>>

>> Now, try the following:
>>
>> Transcript clear.
>> Transcript open.
>> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>>
>> It is always working.
>>

>> Is it a known problem ? Should we open an issue ?
>>
>> François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

Stéphane Ducasse
Which version of threadSafeTrasncruipt do you have

I have

clear
        "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"

        self changed: #clearText.
        accessSemaphore
                critical: [ stream reset ]

Stef

On May 28, 2009, at 11:06 PM, François Tanguy wrote:

> Yes I already tried but a DNU showed up when trying to execute
> "STranscript clear".
> The method reset does not exist. See the implementation below.
>
> clear
> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>
> accessSemaphore critical:
> [ self changed: #clearText.
> self reset ]
>
> François
>
> Le 28 mai 09 à 22:56, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>
>> francois
>>
>> on squeaksource there is a threadsafeTranscript
>> can you try it?
>> The idea is to get it to replace the non thread safe (= defult one).
>>
>> Stef
>> On May 28, 2009, at 10:49 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> try this in a workspace (image 10319) :
>>>
>>> "First open a Transcript via the world menu"
>>> Transcript clear.
>>> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>>>
>>> Behavior is bad.
>>>

>>> Now, try the following:
>>>
>>> Transcript clear.
>>> Transcript open.
>>> 5 timesRepeat: [ [Transcript show: 'Hello'] fork ]
>>>
>>> It is always working.
>>>

>>> Is it a known problem ? Should we open an issue ?
>>>
>>> François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

François Tanguy
Name: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.101
Author: damiencassou
Time: 17 February 2009, 6:29:21 pm
UUID: c84dacab-8c7e-48b4-b9ff-31f712051122
Ancestors: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.99, Nile-Clients-damiencassou.100

François

Le 28 mai 09 à 23:19, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Which version of threadSafeTrasncruipt do you have
>
> I have
>

> clear
> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>
> self changed: #clearText.
> accessSemaphore
> critical: [ stream reset ]
>
> Stef
>

> On May 28, 2009, at 11:06 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>
>> Yes I already tried but a DNU showed up when trying to execute
>> "STranscript clear".
>> The method reset does not exist. See the implementation below.
>>
>> clear
>> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>>
>> accessSemaphore critical:
>> [ self changed: #clearText.
>> self reset ]
>>
>> François
>>
>> Le 28 mai 09 à 22:56, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>>> francois
>>>
>>> on squeaksource there is a threadsafeTranscript
>>> can you try it?
>>> The idea is to get it to replace the non thread safe (= defult one).
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

Stéphane Ducasse
Not this one.
  ThreadSafeTranscript is on squeaksource same name.
Now I just check and I do not know why is shown
Argh

Stef

On May 28, 2009, at 11:27 PM, François Tanguy wrote:

> Name: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.101
> Author: damiencassou
> Time: 17 February 2009, 6:29:21 pm
> UUID: c84dacab-8c7e-48b4-b9ff-31f712051122
> Ancestors: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.99, Nile-Clients-damiencassou.100
>
> François
>
> Le 28 mai 09 à 23:19, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>
>> Which version of threadSafeTrasncruipt do you have
>>
>> I have
>>

>> clear
>> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>>
>> self changed: #clearText.
>> accessSemaphore
>> critical: [ stream reset ]
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On May 28, 2009, at 11:06 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>>
>>> Yes I already tried but a DNU showed up when trying to execute
>>> "STranscript clear".
>>> The method reset does not exist. See the implementation below.
>>>
>>> clear
>>> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>>>
>>> accessSemaphore critical:
>>> [ self changed: #clearText.
>>> self reset ]
>>>
>>> François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

François Tanguy
Stef,

I loaded the ThreadSafeTranscript package from squeaksource and found
out one problem.

The stream is not correctly reset after each access.
Original code uses "stream reset" but using "stream resetContents"
works much better.

Cheers.

François

Le 28 mai 09 à 23:52, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Not this one.
>  ThreadSafeTranscript is on squeaksource same name.
> Now I just check and I do not know why is shown
> Argh
>
> Stef
>

> On May 28, 2009, at 11:27 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>
>> Name: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.101
>> Author: damiencassou
>> Time: 17 February 2009, 6:29:21 pm
>> UUID: c84dacab-8c7e-48b4-b9ff-31f712051122
>> Ancestors: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.99, Nile-Clients-damiencassou.
>> 100
>>
>> François
>>
>> Le 28 mai 09 à 23:19, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>>> Which version of threadSafeTrasncruipt do you have
>>>
>>> I have
>>>

>>> clear
>>> "Clear all characters and redisplay the view"
>>>
>>> self changed: #clearText.
>>> accessSemaphore
>>> critical: [ stream reset ]
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks francois.

On May 29, 2009, at 11:55 AM, François Tanguy wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I loaded the ThreadSafeTranscript package from squeaksource and found
> out one problem.
>
> The stream is not correctly reset after each access.

why should it be reset after each access?

> Original code uses "stream reset" but using "stream resetContents"
> works much better.

ok I will check
I published a new version with << (= show: to be compatible with the
other streams)  support

stef

> Cheers.
>
> François
>
> Le 28 mai 09 à 23:52, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>
>> Not this one.
>> ThreadSafeTranscript is on squeaksource same name.
>> Now I just check and I do not know why is shown
>> Argh
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> On May 28, 2009, at 11:27 PM, François Tanguy wrote:
>>
>>> Name: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.101
>>> Author: damiencassou
>>> Time: 17 February 2009, 6:29:21 pm
>>> UUID: c84dacab-8c7e-48b4-b9ff-31f712051122
>>> Ancestors: Nile-Clients-damiencassou.99, Nile-Clients-damiencassou.
>>> 100
>>>
>>> François

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

François Tanguy
See below my answer.

Le 29 mai 09 à 17:34, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Thanks francois.
>

> On May 29, 2009, at 11:55 AM, François Tanguy wrote:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>> I loaded the ThreadSafeTranscript package from squeaksource and found
>> out one problem.
>>
>> The stream is not correctly reset after each access.
>
> why should it be reset after each access?

If you do something like this
STranscript show: 'a very longggggggggggg message'.
STranscript show: 'a normal message'

The result in the transcript will be : a very longggggggggggg messagea
normal messageggggg message

The reason is because the readLimit instance variable from
PositionableStream is not reset to 0 after the first message.

>> Original code uses "stream reset" but using "stream resetContents"
>> works much better.

resetContents makes the same job than reset but it also set readLimit
to 0.

> ok I will check
> I published a new version with << (= show: to be compatible with the
> other streams)  support
>
> stef
>

>> Cheers.
>>
>> François
>>
>> Le 28 mai 09 à 23:52, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>>> Not this one.
>>> ThreadSafeTranscript is on squeaksource same name.
>>> Now I just check and I do not know why is shown
>>> Argh
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Transcript does not handle multiple thread access

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok but normally cr does this job.

Stef

On May 29, 2009, at 5:44 PM, François Tanguy wrote:

> See below my answer.
>
> Le 29 mai 09 à 17:34, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>
>> Thanks francois.
>>

>> On May 29, 2009, at 11:55 AM, François Tanguy wrote:
>>
>>> Stef,
>>>
>>> I loaded the ThreadSafeTranscript package from squeaksource and
>>> found
>>> out one problem.
>>>
>>> The stream is not correctly reset after each access.
>>
>> why should it be reset after each access?
>
> If you do something like this
> STranscript show: 'a very longggggggggggg message'.
> STranscript show: 'a normal message'
>
> The result in the transcript will be : a very longggggggggggg messagea
> normal messageggggg message
>
> The reason is because the readLimit instance variable from
> PositionableStream is not reset to 0 after the first message.
>

>>> Original code uses "stream reset" but using "stream resetContents"
>>> works much better.
>
> resetContents makes the same job than reset but it also set readLimit
> to 0.
>

>> ok I will check
>> I published a new version with << (= show: to be compatible with the
>> other streams)  support
>>
>> stef
>>

>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> François

FreeType?

Carlos Crosetti-4
Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then quit.
"FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is that?

Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Stéphane Ducasse
no idea. :)

On Jun 1, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Carlos Crosetti wrote:

> Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then
> quit.
> "FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is
> that?
>
> Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Adrian Lienhard
The free type progress bar indicates the scanning of your system for
available fonts.

Adrian

On Jun 2, 2009, at 11:28 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> no idea. :)
>
> On Jun 1, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Carlos Crosetti wrote:
>
>> Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then
>> quit.
>> "FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is
>> that?
>>
>> Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Steve Wirts
If the font reloading is taking longer than you would like for startup, you can disable it from PreferencesBrowser>>FreeType>>UpdateFontsAtImageStartup

On Jun 2, 2009, at 15:00 , Steve Wirts wrote:

> If the font reloading is taking longer than you would like for
> startup, you
> can disable it from
> PreferencesBrowser>>FreeType>>UpdateFontsAtImageStartup

Has anybody looked into whether the reloading is actually needed on
each startup? Couldn't that be done only when the font browser is
opened?

Adrian

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Carlos Crosetti
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then
>> quit.
>> "FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is
>> that?
>>
>> Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Rob Rothwell
A while ago I added an update button to the font browser so you could just load on demand when you knew you installed a new font...

Rob

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 2, 2009, at 15:00 , Steve Wirts wrote:

> If the font reloading is taking longer than you would like for
> startup, you
> can disable it from
> PreferencesBrowser>>FreeType>>UpdateFontsAtImageStartup

Has anybody looked into whether the reloading is actually needed on
each startup? Couldn't that be done only when the font browser is
opened?

Adrian

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Carlos Crosetti
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then
>> quit.
>> "FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is
>> that?
>>
>> Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 2, 2009, at 15:00 , Steve Wirts wrote:

> If the font reloading is taking longer than you would like for
> startup, you
> can disable it from
> PreferencesBrowser>>FreeType>>UpdateFontsAtImageStartup

Has anybody looked into whether the reloading is actually needed on
each startup? Couldn't that be done only when the font browser is
opened?

That's exactly why I asked. It seems not necessary for me to be uploaded each time the image starts. How frequently your fonts change?

IMHO this preference must be disable by default.

Cheers,

Mariano

Adrian

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Carlos Crosetti
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi, i loaded pharo, did "software update" and saved the image then
>> quit.
>> "FreeType" progress bar, showing and dissapearing twice... what is
>> that?
>>
>> Regards, Carlos

Re: FreeType?

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Rob,

I purged the font cache with

FreeTypeFontProvider current initialize

and then opened the font browser (in which I only see Accuny as
expected). When I hit update the progress bar appears, but the list of
fonts does not get updated. If I close the browser and open it again,
I see all fonts.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jun 2, 2009, at 15:19 , Rob Rothwell wrote:

> A while ago I added an update button to the font browser so you
> could just
> load on demand when you knew you installed a new font...
>
> Rob
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 2, 2009, at 15:00 , Steve Wirts wrote:
>>
>>> If the font reloading is taking longer than you would like for
>>> startup, you
>>> can disable it from
>>> PreferencesBrowser>>FreeType>>UpdateFontsAtImageStartup
>>
>> Has anybody looked into whether the reloading is actually needed on
>> each startup? Couldn't that be done only when the font browser is
>> opened?
>>
>> Adrian

12