Transcript

Joseph Alotta
Why is it slow to write on the Transcript.  I thought with a powerful computer like this, it would be fast.  Is it really doing that much or is there something in the code sleeping to a clock?

Sincerely,

Joe.

RE: Transcript

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Joe,

It's probably not the transcript but everything else that is happening on
your image.  I'm not sure at what priority the transcript runs but if you
have threads at higher priority running they have to finish first and then
yield so that a lower priority thread can take over.  That's when your
transcript messages will show up.

The transcript can also get you in trouble with threading, having multiple
threads trying to write to the transcript.  Make sure you are controlling
access to the transcript if you are using it with multiple threads.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Transcript

Tobias Pape
Hi Joseph

On 18.07.2016, at 18:48, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> It's probably not the transcript but everything else that is happening on
> your image.  I'm not sure at what priority the transcript runs but if you
> have threads at higher priority running they have to finish first and then
> yield so that a lower priority thread can take over.  That's when your
> transcript messages will show up.
>
> The transcript can also get you in trouble with threading, having multiple
> threads trying to write to the transcript.  Make sure you are controlling
> access to the transcript if you are using it with multiple threads.

Also, Writing to the Transcript is I/O. You'll have a similar effect if you
use a low-level language like C and write to stdout. You should use
the message Tally and look at what actually is slow. I bet it is the
transcript writing; getting characters on screen is typically expensive, in
most environments.

Best regards
        -Tobias