TravisCI integration

Albert Vonpupp
Hello,

I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would like to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that will be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against us.

Thanks a lot!

Re: TravisCI integration

abergel
Hi Albert,

You can simply use Metacello to say which packages have to be loaded. This is no big deal, really

Cheers,
Alexandre

On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:33 AM, Albert Vonpupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would like to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that will be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against us.
>
> Thanks a lot!

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: TravisCI integration

Dale Henrichs
Albert,

Technically, you don't have to create a baseline to use travisCI with a github Smalltalk project. If you don't use Metacello then you need to write an st file to do the following three things:

  1. Install your project into the squeak image on travis
  2. Arrange to run your SUnit tests
  3. Collect test results and create the appropriate status files
     so builderCI can report success or failure

All three of these things can be achieved. You can customize the tests/travisCI.st file by doing something like the following:

-------------
| gitPath diskRepo|
Transcript cr; show: 'travis---->travisCI.st'.
gitPath := (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'git_cache') fullName.

"Load code from github project"
diskRepo := MCFileTreeRepository new directory: gitPath, '/<path to .package dir>'
Gofer new
  package: 'blah';
  repository: diskRepo;
  load.

"Run the tests"
"create test suite, run tests, collect results"

"Produce results files"

"Create 'TravisCISuccess.txt' file with contents you want to see when tests pass"
"Create 'TravisCIFailure.txt'file with contents you want to see when tests fail"

-------------

For inspiration, you can poke around in the MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st file[1].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/blob/master/scripts/MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project
| (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really
| confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there
| any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would like
| to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that will
| be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against us.
|
| Thanks a lot!

Re: TravisCI integration

Albert Vonpupp
Thanks a lot for your kind answer Dale,

If we use Metacello, do you think those three items would be easier to achieve? If so, could you please suggest me some sort of roadmap on how to do this? I'm totally lost on how to start.

Thanks again!

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:39:27 PM UTC-3, Dale wrote:
Albert,

Technically, you don't have to create a baseline to use travisCI with a github Smalltalk project. If you don't use Metacello then you need to write an st file to do the following three things:

  1. Install your project into the squeak image on travis
  2. Arrange to run your SUnit tests
  3. Collect test results and create the appropriate status files
     so builderCI can report success or failure

All three of these things can be achieved. You can customize the tests/travisCI.st file by doing something like the following:

-------------
| gitPath diskRepo|
Transcript cr; show: 'travis---->travisCI.st'.
gitPath := (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'git_cache') fullName.

"Load code from github project"
diskRepo := MCFileTreeRepository new directory: gitPath, '/<path to .package dir>'
Gofer new
  package: 'blah';
  repository: diskRepo;
  load.

"Run the tests"
"create test suite, run tests, collect results"

"Produce results files"

"Create 'TravisCISuccess.txt' file with contents you want to see when tests pass"
"Create 'TravisCIFailure.txt'file with contents you want to see when tests fail"

-------------

For inspiration, you can poke around in the MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st file[1].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/blob/master/scripts/MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project
| (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really
| confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there
| any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would like
| to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that will
| be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against us.
|
| Thanks a lot!

Re: TravisCI integration

Dale Henrichs
Albert,

To learn more about Metacello, I think the first step would be to take run the tutorial. You can get to the tutorial From the World Menu > Help > ProfStef Tutorials....There are three Metacello tutorials.

There's a video on using Monticello and Metacello[2] and there is a chapter on Metacello[1] available from the Pharo By Example, which covers Metacello in bit more detail.

This should get you started.

Dale

[1] https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgforge.inria.fr%2Ffrs%2Fdownload.php%2F28462%2FMetacello.pdf&ei=cFp8UYmPGYO0iQKR7YHoAw&usg=AFQjCNHZiVfzNIYhBH-iHh2bItLtdXjE5Q&sig2=H8Hhuy4mo7zSd7edlbh6Jg&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE
[2] http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/07/monticello-and-metacello-introduction.html
| If we use Metacello, do you think those three items would be easier to
| achieve? If so, could you please suggest me some sort of roadmap on how to
| do this? I'm totally lost on how to start.
|
| Thanks again!
|
| On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:39:27 PM UTC-3, Dale wrote:
| >
| > Albert,
| >
| > Technically, you don't have to create a baseline to use travisCI with a
| > github Smalltalk project. If you don't use Metacello then you need to write
| > an st file to do the following three things:
| >
| >   1. Install your project into the squeak image on travis
| >   2. Arrange to run your SUnit tests
| >   3. Collect test results and create the appropriate status files
| >      so builderCI can report success or failure
| >
| > All three of these things can be achieved. You can customize the
| > tests/travisCI.st file by doing something like the following:
| >
| > -------------
| > | gitPath diskRepo|
| > Transcript cr; show: 'travis---->travisCI.st'.
| > gitPath := (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'git_cache') fullName.
| >

| > "Load code from github project"
| > diskRepo := MCFileTreeRepository new directory: gitPath, '/<path to
| > .package dir>'
| > Gofer new
| >   package: 'blah';
| >   repository: diskRepo;
| >   load.
| >
| > "Run the tests"
| > "create test suite, run tests, collect results"
| >
| > "Produce results files"
| >
| > "Create 'TravisCISuccess.txt' file with contents you want to see when
| > tests pass"
| > "Create 'TravisCIFailure.txt'file with contents you want to see when tests
| > fail"
| >
| > -------------
| >
| > For inspiration, you can poke around in the MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| > file[1].
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1]
| > https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/blob/master/scripts/MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| > |
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project
| > | (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really
| > | confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there
| > | any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would
| > like
| > | to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that
| > will
| > | be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against
| > us.
| > |
| > | Thanks a lot!
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > |
| > |

Re: TravisCI integration

Albert Vonpupp
Thanks a lot Dale.

I will follow your advices!

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Albert,

To learn more about Metacello, I think the first step would be to take run the tutorial. You can get to the tutorial From the World Menu > Help > ProfStef Tutorials....There are three Metacello tutorials.

There's a video on using Monticello and Metacello[2] and there is a chapter on Metacello[1] available from the Pharo By Example, which covers Metacello in bit more detail.

This should get you started.

Dale

[1] https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgforge.inria.fr%2Ffrs%2Fdownload.php%2F28462%2FMetacello.pdf&ei=cFp8UYmPGYO0iQKR7YHoAw&usg=AFQjCNHZiVfzNIYhBH-iHh2bItLtdXjE5Q&sig2=H8Hhuy4mo7zSd7edlbh6Jg&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE
[2] http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/07/monticello-and-metacello-introduction.html
| If we use Metacello, do you think those three items would be easier to
| achieve? If so, could you please suggest me some sort of roadmap on how to
| do this? I'm totally lost on how to start.
|
| Thanks again!
|
| On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:39:27 PM UTC-3, Dale wrote:
| >
| > Albert,
| >
| > Technically, you don't have to create a baseline to use travisCI with a
| > github Smalltalk project. If you don't use Metacello then you need to write
| > an st file to do the following three things:
| >
| >   1. Install your project into the squeak image on travis
| >   2. Arrange to run your SUnit tests
| >   3. Collect test results and create the appropriate status files
| >      so builderCI can report success or failure
| >
| > All three of these things can be achieved. You can customize the
| > tests/travisCI.st file by doing something like the following:
| >
| > -------------
| > | gitPath diskRepo|
| > Transcript cr; show: 'travis---->travisCI.st'.
| > gitPath := (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'git_cache') fullName.
| >

| > "Load code from github project"
| > diskRepo := MCFileTreeRepository new directory: gitPath, '/<path to
| > .package dir>'
| > Gofer new
| >   package: 'blah';
| >   repository: diskRepo;
| >   load.
| >
| > "Run the tests"
| > "create test suite, run tests, collect results"
| >
| > "Produce results files"
| >
| > "Create 'TravisCISuccess.txt' file with contents you want to see when
| > tests pass"
| > "Create 'TravisCIFailure.txt'file with contents you want to see when tests
| > fail"
| >
| > -------------
| >
| > For inspiration, you can poke around in the MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| > file[1].
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1]
| > https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI/blob/master/scripts/MetacelloBuilderTravisCI.st
| > |
| > | I would like to setup Travis CI with a github project
| > | (https://github.com/poo2013pos/FLOdactic) using Squeak, but I'm really
| > | confused on how to get started, specially the baseline stuff... Is there
| > | any way to achieve this without using baselines / Metacello. I would
| > like
| > | to keep setup as simple as possible since is an academic project that
| > will
| > | be evaluated and if the setup is very complicated it could turn against
| > us.
| > |
| > | Thanks a lot!
| > |