Trouble setting up Seaside daemon

muraiki
Hi all, I'm having some trouble setting up a Seaside daemon on a Linode Ubuntu 12.04 host. I've run into two separate problems:

First, and I might just be doing something completely wrong here, but if I try to run squeak with multiple command line arguments it fails. For instance:

squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null Seaside.image
found gettext in path
/home/(username)/st/Seaside.app/Contents/Resources
Could not open the Squeak image file `-vm-display-null'.

If I run "squeak -vm-display-null Seaside.image", though, it launches ok.

The other problem that I have is that when I try to use the supplied script from the Seaside book, I get an error message. The script is on this page: http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm

sudo ./run.sh
found gettext in path
/srv/goldengate
chmod: changing permissions of `/home/(username)/.npsqueak/secure': Operation not permitted

It seems like the problem lies with setuidgid, so this might not be the right place to ask this question. I even tried running the command as root, but I get the following error: "mkdir: cannot create directory `/root': Permission denied" and I have no idea why a /root directory is trying to be created.

I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone here can offer. Thank you!

Re: Trouble setting up Seaside daemon

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

On 26 Apr 2013, at 17:25, muraiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm having some trouble setting up a Seaside daemon on a Linode
> Ubuntu 12.04 host. I've run into two separate problems:
>
> First, and I might just be doing something completely wrong here, but if I
> try to run squeak with multiple command line arguments it fails. For
> instance:
>
> squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null Seaside.image
> found gettext in path
> /home/(username)/st/Seaside.app/Contents/Resources
> Could not open the Squeak image file `-vm-display-null'.
>
> If I run "squeak -vm-display-null Seaside.image", though, it launches ok.
>
> The other problem that I have is that when I try to use the supplied script
> from the Seaside book, I get an error message. The script is on this page:
> http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm
>
> sudo ./run.sh
> found gettext in path
> /srv/goldengate
> chmod: changing permissions of `/home/(username)/.npsqueak/secure':
> Operation not permitted
>
> It seems like the problem lies with setuidgid, so this might not be the
> right place to ask this question. I even tried running the command as root,
> but I get the following error: "mkdir: cannot create directory `/root':
> Permission denied" and I have no idea why a /root directory is trying to be
> created.
>
> I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone here can offer. Thank you!

/usr/bin/squeak is actually a script that tries to do some fancy stuff, but it is often more an obstacle, IMHO. You could try to use the actually binary (read the script).

Since you are on Ubuntu, you could try installing the pharo VM using apt-get.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/stable
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install pharo-vm

Ask on the Pharo mailing lists if you have any problems.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo

Re: Trouble setting up Seaside daemon

muraiki
Thanks Sven! I'll try using Pharo. I had used /usr/bin/squeak because /usr/bin/squeakvm does not exist.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 26 Apr 2013, at 17:25, muraiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm having some trouble setting up a Seaside daemon on a Linode
> Ubuntu 12.04 host. I've run into two separate problems:
>
> First, and I might just be doing something completely wrong here, but if I
> try to run squeak with multiple command line arguments it fails. For
> instance:
>
> squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null Seaside.image
> found gettext in path
> /home/(username)/st/Seaside.app/Contents/Resources
> Could not open the Squeak image file `-vm-display-null'.
>
> If I run "squeak -vm-display-null Seaside.image", though, it launches ok.
>
> The other problem that I have is that when I try to use the supplied script
> from the Seaside book, I get an error message. The script is on this page:
> http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm
>
> sudo ./run.sh
> found gettext in path
> /srv/goldengate
> chmod: changing permissions of `/home/(username)/.npsqueak/secure':
> Operation not permitted
>
> It seems like the problem lies with setuidgid, so this might not be the
> right place to ask this question. I even tried running the command as root,
> but I get the following error: "mkdir: cannot create directory `/root':
> Permission denied" and I have no idea why a /root directory is trying to be
> created.
>
> I would sincerely appreciate any help that anyone here can offer. Thank you!

/usr/bin/squeak is actually a script that tries to do some fancy stuff, but it is often more an obstacle, IMHO. You could try to use the actually binary (read the script).

Since you are on Ubuntu, you could try installing the pharo VM using apt-get.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/stable
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install pharo-vm

Ask on the Pharo mailing lists if you have any problems.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo
http://pharo.org
http://association.pharo.org
http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: Trouble setting up Seaside daemon

Pierce Ng-2
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 05:48:04PM -0400, Erik Ferguson wrote:
> Thanks Sven! I'll try using Pharo. I had used /usr/bin/squeak because
> /usr/bin/squeakvm does not exist.

Note that both Pharo and Squeak come bundled with the Cog VM these days,
and Cog's file name is "squeak". On my Debian 6, the script to start my
server looks like this:

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/setuidgid app1 \
        /pkg/coglinux/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null app1.image

/pkg/coglinux contains my Cog installation, based on direct download.
(Not sure whether Cog is packaged on Debian.)

It looks like your setup has some problem, so good to take Sven's
suggestion to install the packaged VM:

> > Since you are on Ubuntu, you could try installing the pharo VM using
> > apt-get.
> >
> > $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/stable
> > $ sudo apt-get update
> > $ sudo apt-get install pharo-vm

HTH.

--
Pierce Ng
http://samadhiweb.com/blog/

Re: Trouble setting up Seaside daemon

muraiki
Thanks for the help! I hadn't had time to look into this again until today; I used the Squeak 4.4 All in One from the main site and didn't run into any of the weird errors I was getting before. Maybe it had to do with the Ubuntu Squeak package?