Trouble updating to Sista

Jakob Reschke
Hello,

I'd like to share my experience updating a Trunk image from
just-before-the-release to today's version. Maybe some of the points are
important outside of my box.

First, the setting of the primary bytecode encoder was thwarted by one
single method in the Scorch tests. I had Scorch loaded because it was
my test subject for Tonel repositories. The setter method therefore
complained that both encoders were already in use (I don't remember the
exact message).

So I tried to unload Scorch (package "Scorching" and associated). That
removed some important methods from my image, which left many of the
tools broken, including the debugger. The reason is that Scorching put
some method overrides in Context, but they were not in the category
*Scorcing-override, but just *Scorching. That's why they were removed
on unload. So I went to my loaded Kernel Monticello version and
restored the overridden methods from there, then unloaded Scorch. That
worked.

After that, the Squeak update succeeded.

But now I get a SubclassResponsiblity exception when #selector is sent
to a CompiledBlock in MorphicDebugger(Debugger)>>messageIconAt:. Now
going on to try debug this... It's hard because the image freezes
rather quickly, and needs much time until the user interrupt appers.
Move the pointer over a wrong spot and you get a hand full of new
debugger windows or the next freeze... First step: disabling the Show
message icons preference.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Re: Trouble updating to Sista

Jakob Reschke
For some reason CompiledBlock>>selector was not installed during the
update. When I browsed the changes between my image and
Kernel-eem.1319, it sat right there.

Am Sa., 28. März 2020 um 10:54 Uhr schrieb Jakob Reschke
<[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to share my experience updating a Trunk image from
> just-before-the-release to today's version. Maybe some of the points are
> important outside of my box.
>
> First, the setting of the primary bytecode encoder was thwarted by one
> single method in the Scorch tests. I had Scorch loaded because it was
> my test subject for Tonel repositories. The setter method therefore
> complained that both encoders were already in use (I don't remember the
> exact message).
>
> So I tried to unload Scorch (package "Scorching" and associated). That
> removed some important methods from my image, which left many of the
> tools broken, including the debugger. The reason is that Scorching put
> some method overrides in Context, but they were not in the category
> *Scorcing-override, but just *Scorching. That's why they were removed
> on unload. So I went to my loaded Kernel Monticello version and
> restored the overridden methods from there, then unloaded Scorch. That
> worked.
>
> After that, the Squeak update succeeded.
>
> But now I get a SubclassResponsiblity exception when #selector is sent
> to a CompiledBlock in MorphicDebugger(Debugger)>>messageIconAt:. Now
> going on to try debug this... It's hard because the image freezes
> rather quickly, and needs much time until the user interrupt appers.
> Move the pointer over a wrong spot and you get a hand full of new
> debugger windows or the next freeze... First step: disabling the Show
> message icons preference.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob

Re: Trouble updating to Sista

Jakob Reschke
Turns out CompiledBlock>>selector was another method that Scorching
shadowed. So the method was deleted when I unloaded Scorching, and
remained missing throughout the Squeak update because it has not
changed.

Also note that my working copy of Scorch was from March 2019, based on
the then-most-recent master version from March 2018. Maybe the
categories have been fixed in the meantime?