Trunk Status

Chris Muller-3
Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.

The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.

How can we fix this?

Re: Trunk Status

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
>
> The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
>
> How can we fix this?

I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
config maps? If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
config map that loads in this order:

Kernel-fbs.791
Morphic-dtl.688
Files-fbs.125
System-fbs.569

What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
help these past few days!

I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.

frank

Re: Trunk Status

Chris Muller-4
>> How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps? If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is

Here is how to delete config maps.

edit-configs.png (76K) Download Attachment

Re: Trunk Status

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 July 2013 20:02, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
>> Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
>> dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
>>
>> The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
>> latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
>> from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
>> PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
>>
>> How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps? If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.

update-nice.238 looks like a last-known-good mcm.

> frank

Re: Trunk Status

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 July 2013 20:19, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> How can we fix this?
>>
>> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
>> config maps? If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
>
> Here is how to delete config maps.

Mm, I meant "is it a _good idea_?" or "will this work?"

frank

Re: Trunk Status

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 July 2013 20:19, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 July 2013 20:02, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
>>> Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
>>> dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
>>>
>>> The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
>>> latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
>>> from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
>>> PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
>>>
>>> How can we fix this?
>>
>> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
>> config maps? If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
>> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
>> config map that loads in this order:
>>
>> Kernel-fbs.791
>> Morphic-dtl.688
>> Files-fbs.125
>> System-fbs.569
>>
>> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
>> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
>> help these past few days!
>>
>> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> update-nice.238 looks like a last-known-good mcm.

I _think_ that update-fbs.243.mcm ought to work. How would I _test_ this?

>> frank

Re: Trunk Status

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:02:18PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> > Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> > dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
> >
> > The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> > latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> > from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> > PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
> >
> > How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps?

I'm no expert here, but I think that an existing configuration map can
be rewritten by editing it and saving it under its existing name. If so,
it may be possible to take a configuration map that is broken with respect
to updating from its predecessor, and fix it.

Dave

> If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> frank

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
Yes that works,you can edit an existing map and save it under same name.

2013/7/20 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:02:18PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> > Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> > dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
> >
> > The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> > latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> > from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> > PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
> >
> > How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps?

I'm no expert here, but I think that an existing configuration map can
be rewritten by editing it and saving it under its existing name. If so,
it may be possible to take a configuration map that is broken with respect
to updating from its predecessor, and fix it.

Dave

> If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> frank

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
So I tried my own fix:

1) create Kernel-nice.779 = fbs.779+ Class>>declare: fix
2) use this to replace Kernel-fbs.779 starting at updates-fbs.239 (I have overwritten the updates)
3) merge Kernel-fbs.791+Kernel-nice.779 -> Kernel-nice.792
4) use it in latest updates in place of Kernel-fbs.790 and 791

Stage 3) is a no-op except for ancestry: it avoids having a dead commit (those marked bold because not in ancestry)

Please report if problems...

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
Yes that works,you can edit an existing map and save it under same name.

2013/7/20 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:02:18PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> > Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> > dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
> >
> > The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> > latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> > from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> > PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
> >
> > How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps?

I'm no expert here, but I think that an existing configuration map can
be rewritten by editing it and saving it under its existing name. If so,
it may be possible to take a configuration map that is broken with respect
to updating from its predecessor, and fix it.

Dave

> If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> frank

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is undeclared

value: anObject
    (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only bindings')
        ifTrue: [value := anObject]

When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I presume because in midst of changing things...

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
So I tried my own fix:

1) create Kernel-nice.779 = fbs.779+ Class>>declare: fix
2) use this to replace Kernel-fbs.779 starting at updates-fbs.239 (I have overwritten the updates)
3) merge Kernel-fbs.791+Kernel-nice.779 -> Kernel-nice.792
4) use it in latest updates in place of Kernel-fbs.790 and 791

Stage 3) is a no-op except for ancestry: it avoids having a dead commit (those marked bold because not in ancestry)

Please report if problems...

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
Yes that works,you can edit an existing map and save it under same name.

2013/7/20 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:02:18PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> > Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> > dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
> >
> > The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> > latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> > from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> > PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
> >
> > How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps?

I'm no expert here, but I think that an existing configuration map can
be rewritten by editing it and saving it under its existing name. If so,
it may be possible to take a configuration map that is broken with respect
to updating from its predecessor, and fix it.

Dave

> If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> frank

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
I'm now trying this replacement Tools-fbs.484 -> 485 in update-fbs-241

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is undeclared

value: anObject
    (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only bindings')
        ifTrue: [value := anObject]

When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I presume because in midst of changing things...

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
So I tried my own fix:

1) create Kernel-nice.779 = fbs.779+ Class>>declare: fix
2) use this to replace Kernel-fbs.779 starting at updates-fbs.239 (I have overwritten the updates)
3) merge Kernel-fbs.791+Kernel-nice.779 -> Kernel-nice.792
4) use it in latest updates in place of Kernel-fbs.790 and 791

Stage 3) is a no-op except for ancestry: it avoids having a dead commit (those marked bold because not in ancestry)

Please report if problems...

2013/7/21 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
Yes that works,you can edit an existing map and save it under same name.

2013/7/20 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:02:18PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 20 July 2013 18:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey all, when the trunk is broken, the community is at a full stop.
> > Can we please all jump-in and make a push to just solve this?  I'm
> > dead in the water and it sounds like others are too.
> >
> > The status I'm seeing currently is -- when I simply download the
> > latest alpha image, Squeak4.5-12641.image, and then "Update Squeak"
> > from the menu, it blows up during Morphic-fbs.663 trying to declare:
> > PianoRollNoteMorph because it's environment is nil.
> >
> > How can we fix this?
>
> I don't know if this is feasible or possible, but can we _delete_
> config maps?

I'm no expert here, but I think that an existing configuration map can
be rewritten by editing it and saving it under its existing name. If so,
it may be possible to take a configuration map that is broken with respect
to updating from its predecessor, and fix it.

Dave

> If so, let's delete everything after NNN (where NNN is
> the latest map that doesn't load Morphic-fbs.663), and issue a new
> config map that loads in this order:
>
> Kernel-fbs.791
> Morphic-dtl.688
> Files-fbs.125
> System-fbs.569
>
> What's stopping me from simply _doing_ this is that I don't really
> understand the process around config maps. Hence my frequent calls for
> help these past few days!
>
> I'll go and see if I can figure out the value of NNN in the meantime.
>
> frank

Re: Trunk Status

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 04:29:58PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is undeclared
>
> value: anObject
>     (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only
> bindings')
>         ifTrue: [value := anObject]
>
> When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I
> presume because in midst of changing things...

The MorphicProject>>uiProcess: method was introduced as part of
this set of three related updates:

        System-dtl.564
        Morphic-dtl.668
        ST80-dtl.148

These three need to be loaded in a single update step, because
Project class>>resumeProcess: sends #uiProcess to the current
(Morphic) project.

Once these are in place, the next updates to System-dtl.564 and
Morphic-dtl.669 will remove the UIProcess global from Project.

Dave

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
OK, but if there is a UI action required in between, then we just have to force quitting the image.
I guess this was the problem with undeclared FileList2...

I now have succeeded in updating an image after my last update-fbs.241 change, but there is a UI action involved informing me that there is 'No changes' and asking me to acknowledge by pressing OK button (what if I were not OK?). Not sure what caused this, and not sure that it will be bot-friendly...

2013/7/21 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 04:29:58PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is undeclared
>
> value: anObject
>     (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only
> bindings')
>         ifTrue: [value := anObject]
>
> When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I
> presume because in midst of changing things...

The MorphicProject>>uiProcess: method was introduced as part of
this set of three related updates:

        System-dtl.564
        Morphic-dtl.668
        ST80-dtl.148

These three need to be loaded in a single update step, because
Project class>>resumeProcess: sends #uiProcess to the current
(Morphic) project.

Once these are in place, the next updates to System-dtl.564 and
Morphic-dtl.669 will remove the UIProcess global from Project.

Dave

Re: Trunk Status

David T. Lewis
I think that the uiProcess changes would be OK if there was a UI action
required, because the methods are only called when entering a project.
As long as the user does not do an image save in the middle of this,
I don't think that anything bad will happen.

I don't recall the details on FileList2, but I think it was removed and
then reintroduced. There is probably some specific load sequence required
to handle this.

Thanks a lot for fixing this stuff!

Dave

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 05:12:00PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> OK, but if there is a UI action required in between, then we just have to
> force quitting the image.
> I guess this was the problem with undeclared FileList2...
>
> I now have succeeded in updating an image after my last update-fbs.241
> change, but there is a UI action involved informing me that there is 'No
> changes' and asking me to acknowledge by pressing OK button (what if I were
> not OK?). Not sure what caused this, and not sure that it will be
> bot-friendly...
>

> 2013/7/21 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 04:29:58PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> > > Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is
> > undeclared
> > >
> > > value: anObject
> > >     (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only
> > > bindings')
> > >         ifTrue: [value := anObject]
> > >
> > > When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I
> > > presume because in midst of changing things...
> > >

> > The MorphicProject>>uiProcess: method was introduced as part of
> > this set of three related updates:
> >
> >         System-dtl.564
> >         Morphic-dtl.668
> >         ST80-dtl.148
> >
> > These three need to be loaded in a single update step, because
> > Project class>>resumeProcess: sends #uiProcess to the current
> > (Morphic) project.
> >
> > Once these are in place, the next updates to System-dtl.564 and
> > Morphic-dtl.669 will remove the UIProcess global from Project.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Trunk Status

Nicolas Cellier
Frank's job is great but a bit dangerous with current tools support...
So it's a duty to provide support that tools don't if we can.
BTW, the 'No changes' was caused by trying to merge Kernel-fbs.791 into Kernel-nice.792.
This is because I forgot to change one occurrence in update-dtl.242.
I'm retrying now with a fixed update...

2013/7/21 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
I think that the uiProcess changes would be OK if there was a UI action
required, because the methods are only called when entering a project.
As long as the user does not do an image save in the middle of this,
I don't think that anything bad will happen.

I don't recall the details on FileList2, but I think it was removed and
then reintroduced. There is probably some specific load sequence required
to handle this.

Thanks a lot for fixing this stuff!

Dave

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 05:12:00PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> OK, but if there is a UI action required in between, then we just have to
> force quitting the image.
> I guess this was the problem with undeclared FileList2...
>
> I now have succeeded in updating an image after my last update-fbs.241
> change, but there is a UI action involved informing me that there is 'No
> changes' and asking me to acknowledge by pressing OK button (what if I were
> not OK?). Not sure what caused this, and not sure that it will be
> bot-friendly...
>

> 2013/7/21 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
>
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 04:29:58PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> > > Hmm, I know have a problem in update-dlt.242 because FileList2 is
> > undeclared
> > >
> > > value: anObject
> > >     (AttemptToWriteReadOnlyGlobal signal: 'Cannot store into read-only
> > > bindings')
> > >         ifTrue: [value := anObject]
> > >
> > > When I try to proceed, I have a not understood message #uiProcess: I
> > > presume because in midst of changing things...
> > >

> > The MorphicProject>>uiProcess: method was introduced as part of
> > this set of three related updates:
> >
> >         System-dtl.564
> >         Morphic-dtl.668
> >         ST80-dtl.148
> >
> > These three need to be loaded in a single update step, because
> > Project class>>resumeProcess: sends #uiProcess to the current
> > (Morphic) project.
> >
> > Once these are in place, the next updates to System-dtl.564 and
> > Morphic-dtl.669 will remove the UIProcess global from Project.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Trunk Status

Frank Shearar-3
Hah, I was about to ask about that. So other than the "No changes"
dialog, and the request to merge something in Debugger, I could update
the image.

Thanks very much, Nicolas!

frank