Trunk broken?

Bert Freudenberg
It looks like Edgar's latest packages broke the system. I see only removals in the diffs, was this intentional?

- Bert -

Re: Trunk broken?

Nicolas Cellier
Didn't the missing methods migrate into the GetText package ?
If it was the case, then we could make the update work with a proper MCconfiguration with proper load order...

Using the diffs reported in the mailing list, it's impossible to tell, since they are against a version which was not added or not reported...

Let's ask Edgar...

Nicolas

Le 14 mars 2012 18:08, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
It looks like Edgar's latest packages broke the system. I see only removals in the diffs, was this intentional?

- Bert -

Use last image 11925 please (was Re: [squeak-dev] Trunk broken?)

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/14/12 4:42 PM, "Nicolas Cellier" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Didn't the missing methods migrate into the GetText package ?
If it was the case, then we could make the update work with a proper MCconfiguration with proper load order...

Using the diffs reported in the mailing list, it's impossible to tell, since they are against a version which was not added or not reported...

Let's ask Edgar...

Nicolas

Well I use the Squeak4.4-11920.image and update to 11925 without any troubles.
Delete the 11920 and put this into ftp

I copy the ancestors from my repository to trunk for see if this help you.

Anyway as I said , like to start from last 4.3 and do all updates with non Cog and have two images clearly labeled.
One as Cog and one as non Cog

Re: Use last image 11925 please (was Re: [squeak-dev] Trunk broken?)

Nicolas Cellier

Le 14 mars 2012 22:27, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 3/14/12 4:42 PM, "Nicolas Cellier" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Didn't the missing methods migrate into the GetText package ?
If it was the case, then we could make the update work with a proper MCconfiguration with proper load order...

Using the diffs reported in the mailing list, it's impossible to tell, since they are against a version which was not added or not reported...

Let's ask Edgar...

Nicolas

Well I use the Squeak4.4-11920.image and update to 11925 without any troubles.
Delete the 11920 and put this into ftp

Probably you loaded GetText package manually before proceeding with update, that would explain that it worked for you...
But we should not have to perform manual operations to update, the update process should do it automagically, see below.

I copy the ancestors from my repository to trunk for see if this help you.
Anyway as I said , like to start from last 4.3 and do all updates with non Cog and have two images clearly labeled.
One as Cog and one as non Cog

This won't work automagically until you add  GetText package in the update configuration.
Here is how you should do it (from your latest clean trunk image with GetText package loaded) :

1) open MC repository browser on http://source.squeak.org/trunk
2) select update then latest update-bf-205.mcm
3) click 'Browse' button
4) in the MCConfigurationBrowser that opens, click Add and select GetText
5) at the bottom of the package list, select GetText and click up until GetText be placed above System
6) click update (update from image) to update the version number of each package
7) click store, select a name like update-edc-106, and choose to publish it in http://source.squeak.org/trunk

That should do the trick.

Nicolas

Re: Trunk broken?

Bert Freudenberg
Am 14.03.2012 um 19:42 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

Didn't the missing methods migrate into the GetText package ?
If it was the case, then we could make the update work with a proper MCconfiguration with proper load order...

But I see no reason to move those methods into the GetText package. That seems to be an artifact from earlier development.

Edgar: we can't just copy the Etoys packages. If it was as simple, we would have done it a long time ago :) You need to use proper judgement what would work best in trunk, not just use what's in Etoys.

E.g., in Etoys we always have the GetText package loaded. But for Squeak, it should be optional, because we have the goal of making the core image smaller. That means, e.g. String>>translated should be in the System package, not in GetText.

Using the diffs reported in the mailing list, it's impossible to tell, since they are against a version which was not added or not reported...

The diffs are generated by our squeak source server. So they are meaningful, because they are always reported against an ancestor that is in trunk.

- Bert -

Let's ask Edgar...

Nicolas

Le 14 mars 2012 18:08, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
It looks like Edgar's latest packages broke the system. I see only removals in the diffs, was this intentional?

- Bert -

Re: Trunk broken?

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Trunk broken?

On 3/15/12 1:33 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes , I know and believe me I trying to get same functional in 4.4 with different packages.
I copy the ancestors from my repo for test to trunk and follow Nico advice for configuration.
And for having a smaller Core, well, I asking for it for long time.
Also we need a Kernel and IMHO the SOB should send a nice mail to Pavel , sure he helps us.

Edgar

On 3/14/12 8:53 PM, "Nicolas Cellier" <[hidden email]> wrote:

1) open MC repository browser on http://source.squeak.org/trunk
2) select update then latest update-bf-205.mcm
3) click 'Browse' button
4) in the MCConfigurationBrowser that opens, click Add and select GetText
5) at the bottom of the package list, select GetText and click up until GetText be placed above System
6) click update (update from image) to update the version number of each package
7) click store, select a name like update-edc-106, and choose to publish it in http://source.squeak.org/trunk

That should do the trick.

Nicolas

Follow your advice later today.

Very thanks !!!!

Edgar

Re: Use last image 11925 please (was Re: [squeak-dev] Trunk broken?)

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Edgar, can you upload another version of GetText with _'s replaced by :='s please?  Squeak trunk now uses := and updates can fail with the right preferences set if _'s are used.

AdvThanksance

--
best,
Eliot

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Edgar, can you upload another version of GetText with _'s replaced by :='s please?  Squeak trunk now uses := and updates can fail with the right preferences set if _'s are used.

also note that the following are Undeclared in Squeask trunk after the update:

    SugarLauncher RomePluginCanvas language generics

All in GetText.  See "Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys; inspect" on the "do..." submenu of the main screen menu.

cheers!
Eliot

On 15.03.2012, at 08:28, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

[...]

What Pavel has done is great, but not immediately usable for us. We want to keep things working, while untangling the packages to arrive at a minimal image.

- Bert -