Trunk stable?

Michael van der Gulik-2

Hi.

Is there a policy of keeping trunk in usable condition?

I've found this problem with the Linux VM:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7419

I was going to build a new VM to see if I could fix this problem and I'd like to know if the source from trunk is the best place to start.

Gulik.

http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Trunk stable?

Andreas.Raab

I think I know this one. Are you by any chance running headless and
interact using VNC? If so, it's the attempt to use the X clipboard which
causes the segfault. In our images, we have the clipboard prims disabled
on Unix by default because of that particular problem.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is there a policy of keeping trunk in usable condition?
>
> I've found this problem with the Linux VM:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7419
>
> I was going to build a new VM to see if I could fix this problem and I'd
> like to know if the source from trunk is the best place to start.
>
> Gulik.

> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Trunk stable?

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Andreas Raab wrote:

> I think I know this one. Are you by any chance running headless and interact
> using VNC? If so, it's the attempt to use the X clipboard which causes the
> segfault. In our images, we have the clipboard prims disabled on Unix by
> default because of that particular problem.

We are using -vm-display-null and didn't experience such problem.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>

> Michael van der Gulik wrote:

>> Hi.
>>
>> Is there a policy of keeping trunk in usable condition?
>>
>> I've found this problem with the Linux VM:
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7419
>>
>> I was going to build a new VM to see if I could fix this problem and I'd
>> like to know if the source from trunk is the best place to start.
>>
>> Gulik.

>> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Trunk stable?

Michael van der Gulik-2

> Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is there a policy of keeping trunk in usable condition?
>>
>> I've found this problem with the Linux VM:
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7419
>>
>> I was going to build a new VM to see if I could fix this problem and I'd
>> like to know if the source from trunk is the best place to start.
>
>>On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I know this one. Are you by any chance running headless and interact
> using VNC? If so, it's the attempt to use the X clipboard which causes the
> segfault. In our images, we have the clipboard prims disabled on Unix by
> default because of that particular problem.

No, just bog-standard Squeak running bog-standard images on X11. Both
a 3.10 image and the latest Pharo image do it.

Another problem is that killing the VM violently will prevent the rest
of X processing events well. The XTerm that I'm returned to after
killing Squeak won't accept any keyboard events. I consider this a bug
in X though: by that stage, Squeak is dead and shouldn't affect the
rest of the windowing system.

In other news, trunk doesn't build:

gcc -O3 -mtune=core2 -DLSB_FIRST=1 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/bld
-I/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/vm
-I/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/Cross/vm
-I/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/src/vm -c
/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/vm-sound-pulse/sqUnixSoundPulseAudio.c
 -fPIC -DPIC -DPIC -o sqUnixSoundPulseAudio.o
/home/mikevdg/src/squeakvm-trunk/squeak-svn/platforms/unix/vm-sound-pulse/sqUnixSoundPulseAudio.c:51:26:
error: pulse/simple.h: No such file or directory

Easily fixed, but this should pick up the lack of PulseAudio and not
try to build that plugin.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/