Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Steve Cline
I am unable to reach "Assuming you already have a PostgreSQL database installed and configured for normal access" as specified in the SourceCodeMgmtGuide.pdf on page 9-2.  I have VW 7.9 and installed PostgreSQL 8.4 from the PostgreSQL web site (picked 8.4 because of posts mentioning complications with 9.x, while 8.x "just worked"), installing to my Win7 laptop.  At the end of the PostgreSQL install process, I am looking at the pgAdmin III tool, but have no idea what to do with it, as it does not seem to be mentioned in the install hints I have seen on this mailing list.  Do I need to create a separate Windows user for some purpose?  How do I create the BERN database?  Where do I type the commands mentioned on page 9-2? I found a link to a wiki page at uiuc.edu but it seems to be dead.  Help?

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Mark Roberts
Hi Steve,

It sounds like you have the database installed and set up for normal
use, and it's the steps for Store on Windows that aren't clear.

The documentation shows an example for Linux, but you can perform the
same commands with the pgAdmin GUI. I haven't done this myself, so I
can't suggest the exact menu picks (sorry), but hopefully somebody with
more experience will chime in.

There is improved documentation for setup and configuration with release
7.10, but it still doesn't address the particular steps you're looking
for. If somebody who understands this could post the exact steps, I can
amend the documentation.

HTH,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

On 2/22/2013 12:42 PM, Steve Cline wrote:

> I am unable to reach "Assuming you already have a PostgreSQL database
> installed and configured for normal access" as specified in the
> SourceCodeMgmtGuide.pdf on page 9-2.  I have VW 7.9 and installed PostgreSQL
> 8.4 from the PostgreSQL web site (picked 8.4 because of posts mentioning
> complications with 9.x, while 8.x "just worked"), installing to my Win7
> laptop.  At the end of the PostgreSQL install process, I am looking at the
> pgAdmin III tool, but have no idea what to do with it, as it does not seem
> to be mentioned in the install hints I have seen on this mailing list.  Do I
> need to create a separate Windows user for some purpose?  How do I create
> the BERN database?  Where do I type the commands mentioned on page 9-2? I
> found a link to a wiki page at uiuc.edu but it seems to be dead.  Help?

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Janos
Hi,

this is what I did:

I suppose you installed already PostgreSQL (I have 9.2, but it does not
really matter)

The first phase is to create an empty database under the user BERN:
in pgAdminIII

Create a user BERN
Login Roles, New, BERN, pw bern,
Role Privileges: can create databases:

then

for a local LocalPostGreSQL repository:
Create database in PostGreSQL
with pgAdminIII
Superuser (postgres) pw: postgres
Databases, right click, New Database
LocalPostGreSQL
owner BERN

then in VisualWorks:
Parcel Manager, Version Control, StoreForPostgreSQL, Load the Parcel
create a profile in Store, Connect to Repository:
Profile: LocalPostGreSQL
Interface: PostGreSQLEXDI
Environment: localhost_LocalPostGreSQL
BERN/bern.
Table owner: BERN.
and
create the Oracle table spaces, by evaluating (Do It) this expression in
a workspace:
Store.DbRegistry installDatabaseTables.

I hope this helps,
Janos Kazsoki
www.cincom.com

It sounds like you have the database installed and set up for normal
use, and it's the steps for Store on Windows that aren't clear.

The documentation shows an example for Linux, but you can perform the
same commands with the pgAdmin GUI. I haven't done this myself, so I
can't suggest the exact menu picks (sorry), but hopefully somebody with
more experience will chime in.

There is improved documentation for setup and configuration with release
7.10, but it still doesn't address the particular steps you're looking
for. If somebody who understands this could post the exact steps, I can
amend the documentation.

HTH,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

On 2/22/2013 12:42 PM, Steve Cline wrote:

> I am unable to reach "Assuming you already have a PostgreSQL database
> installed and configured for normal access" as specified in the
> SourceCodeMgmtGuide.pdf on page 9-2.  I have VW 7.9 and installed
> PostgreSQL
> 8.4 from the PostgreSQL web site (picked 8.4 because of posts
> mentioning complications with 9.x, while 8.x "just worked"),
> installing to my Win7 laptop.  At the end of the PostgreSQL install
> process, I am looking at the pgAdmin III tool, but have no idea what
> to do with it, as it does not seem to be mentioned in the install
> hints I have seen on this mailing list.  Do I need to create a
> separate Windows user for some purpose?  How do I create the BERN
> database?  Where do I type the commands mentioned on page 9-2? I found
a link to a wiki page at uiuc.edu but it seems to be dead.  Help?

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Janos
Just one correction:

of course not Oracle table spaces below, just table spaces

[...]

create the table spaces, by evaluating (Do It) this expression in a
workspace:
Store.DbRegistry installDatabaseTables.

I hope this helps,
Janos Kazsoki
www.cincom.com

It sounds like you have the database installed and set up for normal
use, and it's the steps for Store on Windows that aren't clear.

The documentation shows an example for Linux, but you can perform the
same commands with the pgAdmin GUI. I haven't done this myself, so I
can't suggest the exact menu picks (sorry), but hopefully somebody with
more experience will chime in.

There is improved documentation for setup and configuration with release
7.10, but it still doesn't address the particular steps you're looking
for. If somebody who understands this could post the exact steps, I can
amend the documentation.

HTH,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

On 2/22/2013 12:42 PM, Steve Cline wrote:

> I am unable to reach "Assuming you already have a PostgreSQL database
> installed and configured for normal access" as specified in the
> SourceCodeMgmtGuide.pdf on page 9-2.  I have VW 7.9 and installed
> PostgreSQL
> 8.4 from the PostgreSQL web site (picked 8.4 because of posts
> mentioning complications with 9.x, while 8.x "just worked"),
> installing to my Win7 laptop.  At the end of the PostgreSQL install
> process, I am looking at the pgAdmin III tool, but have no idea what
> to do with it, as it does not seem to be mentioned in the install
> hints I have seen on this mailing list.  Do I need to create a
> separate Windows user for some purpose?  How do I create the BERN
> database?  Where do I type the commands mentioned on page 9-2? I found
a link to a wiki page at uiuc.edu but it seems to be dead.  Help?

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Steve Cline
Thanks Janos for your very detailed explanation, but I am still at a loss at the first step, creating the BERN user.  In pgAmin, in the left hand column labeled "Object Browser", I select the "PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost:5432)" line - which has a red X, seems bad, not sure why.

I can find no menu item like "Create User" - what am I looking for?  With specific menu / submenu guidance would be great.

Thanks, Steve

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Janos
Hi Steve,

it means only that it is not connected.

SO select PostgreSQL 8.4 (localhost:5432), right click on it and select
connect from the popup menu.

Then you'll see Databases, Tablespaces Group Roles and Login Roles.

You can create BERN by right clicking to Login Roles, New Login Role...

After that you'll be able to create the empty database in the same way:
Right click on Databases, New Database...

Best regards,
Janos Kazsoki
www.cincom.com

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4671527/pgAdmin1.png>

I can find no menu item like "Create User" - what am I looking for?
With specific menu / submenu guidance would be great.

Thanks, Steve

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Steve Cline
That "Connect" to the PostGreSQL database step did the trick - I was able to follow the rest of your instructions, with one detour - when I had completed filling out the Store dialog, and hit the Connect button, I was prompted that the Store tables seemed to be missing and did I want to create them?  I said Yes, followed the prompts, and now seem to be working, without having to execute "Store.DbRegistry installDatabaseTables." manually.

Thanks again, Steve

Re: Tutorial for setting up PostgreSQL on Windows?

Niall Ross
Dear Steve,
    it looks like you have everything working sufficiently for you.
This email just mentions a couple of FYIs in case you need them later.

1) If you will be using multiple logins on your database, not just the
BERN login, either apply patch 101675, or else use 7.9.1 instead of 7.9,
to set the permissions automatically.  (You can use 7.9.1 post-hoc by
generating an install script instead of running the db creation code
from the image, then selecting the permissions-setting SQL - it is
grouped together neer the end of the script - and applying it via
pgAdmin or by opening the Ad-Hoc SQL tool from the VisualWorks
launcher.)  This need only be done for Store databases created from 7.8
through 7.9 images.

2) As you noted from earlier posts, PostgreSQL 8.* and earlier
installations set default values for configuration parameters that match
what past versions of VisualWorks expect, whereas to use Store (in VW
7.9.1 and earlier images) with the most recent PostgreSQL 9.* can
require changing the values of the useStandardConformingStrings and/or
bytea_output parameters from the defaults that those versions of
postgres install.  (Our latest version of
PostgreSQLEXDI/PostgreSQLDriver reads the config parameters, permitting
more automatic handling - thanks to Bruce Badger, and to staff at Heeg,
who both looked at this.)

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross