Tutorial videos

timrowledge
I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to explain to a curious new-user how to open the Score Player and use it to play a midi file. It took probably ten times as long as a suitable video tutorial would run for.

Has anybody done some videos? Would anyone like to? I'm thinking 2/3/4 minute snippets on different themes to introduce newcomers to the wild list of stuff we can do. Make a nice big batch of them, stick'em on youtube and become a star!

Hang on a mo'. Looks like Lawson English has done a pretty decent list already - good for you Lawson. And a few other contributors; excellent start. We could do with a good list of them for the website as introductions. I only found one very short sound related vid though.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LOW: Launch on Warning

Re: Tutorial videos

garduino
Yes, I agree that videos are a very good way for introduce newcomers
and the work of Lawson is superb.

The con is that take a lot of time to make decent vids.

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino
about.me/garduino

RE: Tutorial videos

Ron Teitelbaum
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:squeak-dev-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Germán Arduino
>
> Yes, I agree that videos are a very good way for introduce newcomers and
the
> work of Lawson is superb.
>
> The con is that take a lot of time to make decent vids.

And they tend to get out of date quickly so while getting some videos done
is great, keeping them up to date is important too.

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Tutorial videos

garduino
Yes, I agree, is as with the tutorials and software itself, all seems
to get outdated quickly.

This is one of the things that I love more in Smalltalk, the concepts
from near 40 years ago are not outdated in our days, are absolutely
valid.

2013/2/2 Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

>> From: [hidden email] [mailto:squeak-dev-
>> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of Germán Arduino
>>
>> Yes, I agree that videos are a very good way for introduce newcomers and
> the
>> work of Lawson is superb.
>>
>> The con is that take a lot of time to make decent vids.
>
> And they tend to get out of date quickly so while getting some videos done
> is great, keeping them up to date is important too.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Tutorial videos

openslateproj
Lawson English has a bunch on YouTube. I can't vouch for their veracity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sparaig?feature=watch

Now what we need is a video player for Squeak. We used to have one. Seems lame to have to venture outside of Squeak just to watch a video, or for that matter visit a web site. Proprietary CODECs don't help.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to explain to a curious new-user how to open the Score Player and use it to play a midi file. It took probably ten times as long as a suitable video tutorial would run for.

Has anybody done some videos? Would anyone like to? I'm thinking 2/3/4 minute snippets on different themes to introduce newcomers to the wild list of stuff we can do. Make a nice big batch of them, stick'em on youtube and become a star!

Hang on a mo'. Looks like Lawson English has done a pretty decent list already - good for you Lawson. And a few other contributors; excellent start. We could do with a good list of them for the website as introductions. I only found one very short sound related vid though.

tim
Strange OpCodes: LOW: Launch on Warning

--
Gary Dunn