Tweak in Squeak4.5

Nicolas Cellier
I wanted to test if my new handling (handleSignal:) was Tweak compatible.
But, http://www.squeaksource.com/TweakCore is not currently loading in Squeak4.5 due to several uncompatible changes:

- Tweak requires 'allow block argument assignement' preference to be true, that's the first thing which should be mentionned on the squeaksource page loading instructions.
- Tweak is subclassing Compiler, but the Compiler changed (Introduction of CompilationCue by Colin)
- Tweak is extending MultiDisplayScanner, but this class vanished (It should now be BltDisplayScanner).
- Tweak is using this weird literal syntax that has been retracted: (self flag: #1). should be (self flag: 1) instead.

Is there any interest in upgrading Tweak to latest trunk?
If yes, see attachments for a quick fix of last 3 points (Tweak-Compiler and Tweak-Costume)

I also noticed that I get many packages marked dirty because the fields changed.
Is it normal?

BitBltDisplayScanner-privatePort.st (328 bytes) Download Attachment
CCompiler-evaluatenotifyingin.st (1K) Download Attachment
WindowFont class-initialize.st (472 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Chris Cunnington-4

On Jun 9, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

I wanted to test if my new handling (handleSignal:) was Tweak compatible.
But, http://www.squeaksource.com/TweakCore is not currently loading in Squeak4.5 due to several uncompatible changes:

- Tweak requires 'allow block argument assignement' preference to be true, that's the first thing which should be mentionned on the squeaksource page loading instructions.
- Tweak is subclassing Compiler, but the Compiler changed (Introduction of CompilationCue by Colin)
- Tweak is extending MultiDisplayScanner, but this class vanished (It should now be BltDisplayScanner).
- Tweak is using this weird literal syntax that has been retracted: (self flag: #1). should be (self flag: 1) instead.

Is there any interest in upgrading Tweak to latest trunk?
I'm interested, but I cannot justify it in any real way. There used to be a site, I believe, called tweak.com, with some basic documentation.
I suppose Tweak is used in Croquet/Qwaq still.

Chris

If yes, see attachments for a quick fix of last 3 points (Tweak-Compiler and Tweak-Costume)

I also noticed that I get many packages marked dirty because the fields changed.
Is it normal?

<BitBltDisplayScanner-privatePort.st><CCompiler-evaluatenotifyingin.st><WindowFont class-initialize.st>

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Ken G. Brown
Here are all the links from my Croquet/Tweak bookmarks folder that I saved over time. Perhaps they might be of use for anyone interested in looking for Tweak info in the wayback machine for example.

I think Tweak would be very valuable to be kept alive. It was the obvious choice and used for the Sophie project for example.

http://languagegame.org:8080/ggame/15
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions/
http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquetdevelopment/index.html
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/@PPS94ueiseNPANn_/WjyUCKK9
http://www.reed.com/tealand/lightsmith/04.01.01%20CroquetUIPaperV3.pdf
http://murl.microsoft.com/LectureDetails.asp?1019
http://croquet.doit.wisc.edu/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=CroquetRoadmap
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/croquet
http://www.reed.com/TeaLand/Manual/Croquet.html
http://www.dmu.com/croquet/
http://www.croquetproject.org/
http://developer.creative.com/landing.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38
http://orionelenzil.blogspot.com/
http://squeak.joyful.com/planetsqueak/
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/gcorriga/diary.html?start=8
http://vpri.org/html/writings.htm
http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/event-loop.html
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.tweak
http://source.impara.de/@vTgignXRSvHJNsjz/haJNMtyE
http://www.croquetproject.org/index.php/Road_Map#Two_Dimension_Infrastructure
http://squeak.pbwiki.com/interview
http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Documentation/
http://ttweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Whitepapers/Projects
http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Tutorials/
http://tweakproject.org/
http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Whitepapers/TweakEventDebugging
http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Whitepapers/
http://tweakingcroquet.blogspot.com/2008/08/simple-example-2d-tweak-embedded-app-in.html
http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/
http://source.impara.de/Tweak.html
http://tweak.impara.de/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/
http://tweak.impara.de/
http://croquetproject.org/Croquet_Technologies/downloads.html#

Ken G. Brown

On Jun 9, 2014, at 9:31, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

tty

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

tty
---- On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 09:04:58 -0700 Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote ----

I am too busy learning the low level stuff, but one of the things on my "Squeak Stuff I want to do" list is just this..

* Squeak Stuff I Want To Do
+ [ ] multi-processor squeak ala roarvm
+ [ ] Kernel space squeak
+ [ ] Squeak As Dia with zoom/pan capability
+ [ ] Seaside Desktop with RenderOn: idiom
+ [ ] REPL
+ [ ] REPL with Emacs
+ [ ] FFI's or Plugins to GL
+ [ ] Tweak/Croquet stuff   <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------see!
+ [ ] Squeak as X server
+ [ ] X Interface tools to Squeak as X Server.
+ [ ] Squeak Image File System

I cannot contribute now. I just want to convey that I am interested.

Ken, I have your links saved away for the future. thx.

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Chris Cunnington-4
Thanks for the list. This will be useful.
I remembered I do have a copy of Sophie. I'd like to salvage a lot of the multimedia stuff in there someday.

Chris

On Jun 9, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

timrowledge

On 09-06-2014, at 10:12 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the list. This will be useful.
> I remembered I do have a copy of Sophie. I'd like to salvage a lot of the multimedia stuff in there someday.

Good grief. That was a while ago… I’d hazard a guess that some of the old team might be able to find you a set of MC files, maybe even the entire thing.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? = Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Chris Cunnington-4

On Jun 9, 2014, at 1:25 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 09-06-2014, at 10:12 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the list. This will be useful.
I remembered I do have a copy of Sophie. I'd like to salvage a lot of the multimedia stuff in there someday.

Good grief. That was a while ago… I’d hazard a guess that some of the old team might be able to find you a set of MC files, maybe even the entire thing.

I imagine I have the whole thing.
Is there a repo with Sophie code somewhere? I thought this material was exceedingly rare.

Chris

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? = Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Chris Muller-3
Hi Nicolas, while poking around, I stumbled on this:

http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/tweak45.html/Overview?_s=7-aF8GVskxtQcScU&_k=FZavOXZk5JD8SmBl

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to test if my new handling (handleSignal:) was Tweak compatible.
> But, http://www.squeaksource.com/TweakCore is not currently loading in
> Squeak4.5 due to several uncompatible changes:
>
> - Tweak requires 'allow block argument assignement' preference to be true,
> that's the first thing which should be mentionned on the squeaksource page
> - Tweak is subclassing Compiler, but the Compiler changed (Introduction of
> CompilationCue by Colin)
> - Tweak is extending MultiDisplayScanner, but this class vanished (It should
> now be BltDisplayScanner).
> - Tweak is using this weird literal syntax that has been retracted: (self
> flag: #1). should be (self flag: 1) instead.
>
> Is there any interest in upgrading Tweak to latest trunk?
> If yes, see attachments for a quick fix of last 3 points (Tweak-Compiler and
> Tweak-Costume)
>
> I also noticed that I get many packages marked dirty because the fields
> changed.
> Is it normal?

Re: Tweak in Squeak4.5

Nicolas Cellier
Thanks all, I have quite some material to digest...
Situation is a bit messy, because as I understand it, beside the www.squeaksource.com/TweakCore, there is also code from OpenCobalt and OpenQwaq branches, all with different versions (and different licenses...).
The version of Nicolay seems to aggregate work from several sources, but apparently is not using #rearmHandlerDuring:.
For my purpose of understanding whether my Exception handling modification will impact Tweak negatively or not, #rearmHandlerDuring: seems mainly used in squeaksource branch. I will try and stick with this version as a first stage.

The usage is in Islands, so as to ensure that exception handler block is evaluated in correct island, even for exception thrown inside handlers...
It gonna be some time before I understand how to test that, I'll see if I have enough brain cells available to deal with it...