Two Questions Search and ORM

flebber

First question, where is the best place to search this mailing list. I know the question I am about to ask has been asked before but I can't seem to find a link in the mailing list to use search from?

How much of this article from 2006 still rings true. http://onsmalltalk.com/squeak-smalltalk-and-databases
"Relational Databases

So, on to relational databases. Squeak has ODBC support, but it's single threaded and blocks the VM when querying, so while it works for demos and low traffic apps against pretty much any database, I wouldn't try anything too big with it; it just can't scale. Blocking the whole VM, every time you run a query, just leaves me feeling a bit dirty and not too proud of whatever I just wrote."

I assume GLORP is dead http://www.glorp.org/ . Obviously the main result retrieved was seaside and gemstone. I thought Pharo was like seaside until I read the website tonight http://pharo-project.org/home

Cheers

Re: Two Questions Search and ORM

Herbert König
Hi Sayth,

SR> First question, where is the best place to search this mailing list. I know
SR> the question I am about to ask has been asked before but I can't seem to
SR> find a link in the mailing list to use search from?

gmane or your favourite search engine. Don't forget to search
the other Squeak related lists.

SR> How much of this article from 2006 still rings true.
SR> http://onsmalltalk.com/squeak-smalltalk-and-databases
SR> "Relational Databases

That was before SqueakDBX [hidden email]

SR> So, on to relational databases. Squeak has ODBC support, but it's single

which as far as I understand is happily used in commercial settings,
search Squeak dev.

SR> threaded and blocks the VM when querying, so while it works for demos and
SR> low traffic apps against pretty much any database, I wouldn't try anything
SR> too big with it; it just can't scale.

I use the native mysql driver in a 3.8 image and instead of cooking
pages long sql queries, I do the clever things in Smalltlk. Depends on
your application if scaling is an issue.

SR> I assume GLORP is dead http://www.glorp.org/ .

Never used it but it's mentioned too often on Squeak dev and SqueakDBX
list to be dead.

Oh and then there's Magma and work done on couchDB which might be
alternatives to ORM.

Maybe you tell us what you want to achieve so we get a more positive
discussion :-))

Herbert

Re: Two Questions Search and ORM

Amir Ansari
Pharo is a fork of Squeak, so it's really just an implementation of Smalltalk.

Conversely, Seaside is a web application framework (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application_framework) built on Pharo/Squeak.

Then there are the two major 'object databases': GemStone and Magma, plus several others that you read about in Ramon Leon's blog.  Magma is a normal Smalltalk package that you can install in Pharo to run either standalone, or alongside Seaside if you need a database for your web application.  GemStone is an implementation of Smalltalk that combines both the language AND the database, so it's rather unique.

So, there are three different things here: the language (Smalltalk) and its implementations, a framework built with the language (Seaside), and databases (Magma, GemStone, Glorp, etc.).

I hope that makes things clearer...

Amir

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:23:54 +1100
Sayth Renshaw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First question, where is the best place to search this mailing list. I know
> the question I am about to ask has been asked before but I can't seem to
> find a link in the mailing list to use search from?
>
> How much of this article from 2006 still rings true.
> http://onsmalltalk.com/squeak-smalltalk-and-databases

sean@clipperadams.com

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
flebber1 wrote
where is the best place to search this mailing list
Check out http://forum.world.st
You can read, post, and search all the Squeak, Pharo, and other St lists from one place.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean