Two suggestions for the new pharo website

kmo

Two suggestions for the new pharo website

kmo
I think the new pharo website could be improved by the addition of two new pages.

Firstly, the site badly needs a "Success Stories" page. The old web site had one of these so presumably that can be added easily. You have to show newcomers that pharo can be used for something real. Look at the meteor website https://www.meteor.com/main. Meteor isn't even at version 1.0 yet but already boasts a impressive gallery of applications.

Secondly, a list of all the packages in the Configuration Browser with a proper description of what they do would be helpful. It would give newcomers the idea that pharo is a comprehensive solution to their development needs. it also would provide newcomers with some kind of guide to the pharo ecosystem - how is anybody supposed to know what Aconacqua or Chalten is meant to do? Pharo has quite an impressive list of add-ons in the configuration browser but what's the point if no one knows what they do?

Re: Two suggestions for the new pharo website

Arturo Zambrano
Stef sent me this url
I think it cover part of your second point.

regards

art

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stepharo

On 26/5/14 12:52, kmo wrote:
> I think the new pharo website could be improved by the addition of two new
> pages.
>
> Firstly, the site badly needs a "Success Stories" page. The old web site had
> one of these so presumably that can be added easily. You have to show
> newcomers that pharo can be used for something real. Look at the/ meteor/
> website https://www.meteor.com/main. Meteor isn't even at version 1.0 yet
> but already boasts a impressive gallery of applications.

100% agreed.

The first steps would be to harvest a list of success stories
One visual + one paragraph

> Secondly, a list of all the packages in the Configuration Browser with a
> proper description of what they do would be helpful. It would give newcomers
> the idea that pharo is a comprehensive solution to their development needs.
We started to build that
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoProjectCatalog/HTML_Report/?

Now we requested fundings for building it and we did not get it.
> it also would provide newcomers with some kind of guide to the pharo
> ecosystem - how is anybody supposed to know what Aconacqua or Chalten is
> meant to do? Pharo has quite an impressive list of add-ons in the
> configuration browser but what's the point if no one knows what they do?
Now ask yourself how you can help Pharo because we are really busy.