UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

123

Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

Rob Withers

From: "Rob Withers" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:18 PM
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

>> Are there any senders of knownEnvironments and removeKey: et al?  Do you
>> have changes to Dictionary grow code which causes a bug on rehash?
>> etc...
>>

> No, there is only one sender of knownEnvironments and that is localeID:.
>
> No, but I force rehashing when one of my ERefs becomes another ERef.  I am
> testing this.  I do not think I have any ERef references to an Environment
> or that dictionary.

My rehashing  code is turned off by preference and is not getting called.

Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

Rob Withers
I found the problem!

Of course, it was my code causing this.  I was doing the equivalent of:

    Object new becomeForward: nil.

and this was nilling out the contents of that KnownEnvironments dictionary.  I tested with the above code, without my code, and indeed it caused the problem.  I am now avoiding both SmallIntegers and nil when using #becomeForward:

Thanks for everyone's help in this matter!

Rob

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:03 PM

Re: Cog on linux

Frank Shearar
On 2010/07/13 23:04, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>
>> Thanks Levente. Unfortunately it did not work:
>>
>> ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not
>> found (required by ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak)
>
> Seems like you have to build it yourself. Fortunately it's very easy,
> since Eliot commits the generated sources to the svn repo. So you can
> build a CogVM/StackVM without VMMaker. Here is how:
>
> "How to build the Cog Croquet VM on Unix
> -------------------------------
> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
> source))
> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
> you're
> reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
> ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1
> -DCOGMTVM=0" LIBS=-lpthread
> make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"

Are there any additional requirements like gcc version, for instance?

I ask because I get errors on the above instructions, on FreeBSD 6.4,
running gcc 3.4.6. I can attach configure's output and whatnot, if
you're interested.

frank

> Levente
>

>> Rob
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

Chris Muller-3
I'm not sure if this is the same context of the issue you had, but..
this seems like a good time to reflect on #becomeForward:.

Until 5 or 6 years ago, we only had Object>>#becomeForward: (and not
#becomeForward:copyHash:).  #becomeForward: would mutate the
identityHash of the argument to be that of the receiver, causing any
identity-hashed collections it might be residing in to need to be
rehashed.

Unfortunately, mutating the identityHash of important objects such as
an important Symbol in the SymbolTable (like, #at: !!); there was no
time to rehash the SymbolTable or anything else before the system
needed it, couldn't find it, and locked up.

So we added Object >> #becomeForward:copyHash: so that false could be
passed as the second argument, causing it not to mutate the
identityHash of the target.

 - Chris

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Rob Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found the problem!
>
> Of course, it was my code causing this.  I was doing the equivalent of:
>
>     Object new becomeForward: nil.
>
> and this was nilling out the contents of that KnownEnvironments dictionary.
> I tested with the above code, without my code, and indeed it caused the
> problem.  I am now avoiding both SmallIntegers and nil when using
> #becomeForward:
>
> Thanks for everyone's help in this matter!
>
> Rob

I followed these instructions to the letter, and get the same result I
got a few weeks ago.  I posted a question then, but no responses.  May
I try again?

Everything seems to go just fine throughout these build instructions.
For the final step, I put it in /usr/local/lib.

    make install prefix=/usr/local/lib/squeak

and I made sure /usr/local/lib/squeak exists before doing the make install.

The make install appears to work fine, and I am able to see squeak -version:

$ squeak -version
3.9-7 #1 Wed Jul 14 12:07:56 CDT 2010 gcc 4.3.3
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.20]
Linux chrisT60p 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59
UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default:
/opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]

However, when I try to launch an image:

  squeak my.image

The image does not launch and I get the following:

    could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
      - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
      - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
      - remove DISPLAY from your environment.

notice the double-slash in reference to the plugins location.  Perhaps
that's the problem, but what's the correct solution?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

 - Chris

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>
>> Thanks Levente.  Unfortunately it did not work:
>>
>> ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found
>> (required by ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak)
>
> Seems like you have to build it yourself. Fortunately it's very easy, since
> Eliot commits the generated sources to the svn repo. So you can build a
> CogVM/StackVM without VMMaker. Here is how:
>
> "How to build the Cog Croquet VM on Unix
> -------------------------------
> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
> source))
> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
> you're
>   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0"
> LIBS=-lpthread
>     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"
>

> Levente
>

>> Rob
>>

>> ________________________________

Just to avoid any confusion:

> $ squeak -version
> 3.9-7 #1 Wed Jul 14 12:07:56 CDT 2010 gcc 4.3.3
> Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.20]
> Linux chrisT60p 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59
> UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> plugin path: /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default:
> /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]

In my attempt to keep the discussion generic, I said I had put it in
/usr/local/lib/squeak, but I actually did put it in
/opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak.

But this does not change the discussion in terms of the problem I'm having..

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I followed these instructions to the letter, and get the same result I
> got a few weeks ago.  I posted a question then, but no responses.  May
> I try again?
>
> Everything seems to go just fine throughout these build instructions.
> For the final step, I put it in /usr/local/lib.
>
>    make install prefix=/usr/local/lib/squeak
>
> and I made sure /usr/local/lib/squeak exists before doing the make install.
>
> The make install appears to work fine, and I am able to see squeak -version:
>
> $ squeak -version
> 3.9-7 #1 Wed Jul 14 12:07:56 CDT 2010 gcc 4.3.3
> Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.20]
> Linux chrisT60p 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59
> UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> plugin path: /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default:
> /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]
>
> However, when I try to launch an image:
>
>  squeak my.image
>
> The image does not launch and I get the following:
>
>    could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>      - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so
> exists, or
>      - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>      - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
>
> notice the double-slash in reference to the plugins location.  Perhaps
> that's the problem, but what's the correct solution?
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated..
>
>  - Chris
>

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Levente.  Unfortunately it did not work:
>>>
>>> ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found
>>> (required by ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak)
>>
>> Seems like you have to build it yourself. Fortunately it's very easy, since
>> Eliot commits the generated sources to the svn repo. So you can build a
>> CogVM/StackVM without VMMaker. Here is how:
>>
>> "How to build the Cog Croquet VM on Unix
>> -------------------------------
>> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>> source))
>> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>> you're
>>   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>>     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0"
>> LIBS=-lpthread
>>     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Rob
>>>

>>> ________________________________

More information, I cannot launch even if I specify with -plugins
argument, with or without a trailing slash:

(without)

$ squeak -plugins /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7 deluxe.image
could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
Aborted (core dumped)

(with)

$ squeak -plugins /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ deluxe.image
could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
Aborted (core dumped)

Make sure it exists:

$ ls -l /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11.so
ls: cannot access
/opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11.so: No
such file or directory

What?!  Oh, mine doesn't have ".so" on the end:

$ ls -l /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cmm ae 242110 2010-07-14 12:08
/opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11

Ok, so it's looking for it with a ".so" extension?  Copy to it to .so:

(in /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7):

$ cp -a vm-display-X11 vm-display-X11.so

Same problem..  :-(

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> -------------------------------
>>> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>>> source))
>>> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>>> you're
>>>   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>>>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>>> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>>>     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>>> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0"
>>> LIBS=-lpthread
>>>     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>>> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"

| |

Re: Cog on linux

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Frank,

   what errors do you get?  I use 4.1.x on linux and 3.4.4 under cygwin on win32 and have used gcc 4.2 on Mac.  The basic requirement is support for sse2 instructions.

BTW, this really should be on vm-dev...

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
I followed these instructions to the letter, and get the same result I
got a few weeks ago.  I posted a question then, but no responses.  May
I try again?

Chris, I believe I replied suggesting you step though the dynamic loading code to get more information.
I think everything starts from loadModules in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.
I suggest you rerun the configure command to eliminate all optimization (including deleting any -fomit-frame-pointer) and then step from loadModules and see why you don't get to a functional dlopen call in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixExternalPrims.c.

HTH
Eliot

Everything seems to go just fine throughout these build instructions.
For the final step, I put it in /usr/local/lib.

   make install prefix=/usr/local/lib/squeak

and I made sure /usr/local/lib/squeak exists before doing the make install.

The make install appears to work fine, and I am able to see squeak -version:

$ squeak -version
3.9-7 #1 Wed Jul 14 12:07:56 CDT 2010 gcc 4.3.3
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.20]
Linux chrisT60p 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59
UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default:
/opt/4dst/thirdparty/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]

However, when I try to launch an image:

 squeak my.image

The image does not launch and I get the following:

   could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
     - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so
exists, or
     - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
     - remove DISPLAY from your environment.

notice the double-slash in reference to the plugins location.  Perhaps
that's the problem, but what's the correct solution?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

 - Chris

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>
>> Thanks Levente.  Unfortunately it did not work:
>>
>> ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found
>> (required by ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak)
>
> Seems like you have to build it yourself. Fortunately it's very easy, since
> Eliot commits the generated sources to the svn repo. So you can build a
> CogVM/StackVM without VMMaker. Here is how:
>
> "How to build the Cog Croquet VM on Unix
> -------------------------------
> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
> source))
> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
> you're
>   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0"
> LIBS=-lpthread
>     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"
>

> Levente
>

>> Rob
>>

>> ________________________________

Hi Eliot, if you replied to my original post under a different
subject, I must have missed it:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151522.html

I do not have adequate C or C++ experience to even run the debugger.
I really just want to _get_ a Cog VM so I can be more productive in
getting my work done so I can then work on things like learning new
langauges and tools...   :)

I had hoped, given that the problem seems to be exposed (the
double-slash) that the cause and solution would be obvious to
someone..

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>> > source))
>> > 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>> > you're
>> >   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>> > 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>> >     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>> > -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1
>> > -DCOGMTVM=0"
>> > LIBS=-lpthread
>> >     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>> > 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via

Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

Rob Withers
> I'm not sure if this is the same context of the issue you had, but..
> this seems like a good time to reflect on #becomeForward:.
>
> Until 5 or 6 years ago, we only had Object>>#becomeForward: (and not
> #becomeForward:copyHash:).  #becomeForward: would mutate the
> identityHash of the argument to be that of the receiver, causing any
> identity-hashed collections it might be residing in to need to be
> rehashed.
>
> Unfortunately, mutating the identityHash of important objects such as
> an important Symbol in the SymbolTable (like, #at: !!); there was no
> time to rehash the SymbolTable or anything else before the system
> needed it, couldn't find it, and locked up.
>
> So we added Object >> #becomeForward:copyHash: so that false could be
> passed as the second argument, causing it not to mutate the
> identityHash of the target.

Chris,

I am using both #becomeForward: and #becomeForward:copyHash:.  One thing I
noted you said: "#becomeForward: would mutate the identityHash of the
argument to be that of the receiver, causing any identity-hashed collections
it might be residing in to need to be rehashed."

The first time I read it as if you were causing the rehashing to occur, but
on second reading you only said that Sets and Dictionaries are in need to be
rehashed.  I.e. it is up to the application programmer to cause the rehash.

Mine is a slightly different situation, concerned with hashed locations
where the receiver WAS, which is now the target with a different hash.  Here
is the appropriate code snippet in my system:
        rehashables := self collectRehashableCollections.
        context isSmallInteger
                ifTrue: [self becomeForward: context copyHash: false]
                ifFalse: [self becomeForward: context].
        rehashables do: [:each | each rehash].

Therefore, I need to rehash collections holding the receiver.

collectRehashableCollections

        | level1 level2 sets level3 dictionaries |
        level1 := Utilities pointersTo: self except: #(Array with: self).
        level2 := level1
                inject: OrderedCollection new
                into: [:coll :elem |
                        coll addAll: (Utilities pointersTo: elem except: #(Array with: self with:
elem)).
                        coll].
        sets := level2 select: [:elem | elem isKindOf: Set].
        level3 := level2
                inject: OrderedCollection new
                into: [:coll :elem |
                        coll addAll: (Utilities pointersTo: elem except: #(Array with: self with:
elem)).
                        coll].
        dictionaries := level3 select: [:elem | elem isKindOf: Dictionary].

        ^ sets, dictionaries

Rob

> - Chris
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Rob Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I found the problem!
>>
>> Of course, it was my code causing this.  I was doing the equivalent of:
>>
>>     Object new becomeForward: nil.
>>
>> and this was nilling out the contents of that KnownEnvironments
>> dictionary.
>> I tested with the above code, without my code, and indeed it caused the
>> problem.  I am now avoiding both SmallIntegers and nil when using
>> #becomeForward:
>>
>> Thanks for everyone's help in this matter!
>>
>> Rob

Igor Stasenko
One thing why i don't like developing on linux is
overly complicated design around dynamic linkage.
With all those libraries, paths, compiler/linker options ...

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot, if you replied to my original post under a different
subject, I must have missed it:

 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151522.html

I do not have adequate C or C++ experience to even run the debugger.
I really just want to _get_ a Cog VM so I can be more productive in
getting my work done so I can then work on things like learning new
langauges and tools...   :)

If you can compile the VM you can surely learn to use gdb.  Its only a debugger.  break foo. step. etc. etc.  It would really help (yourself and others) if you'd take this next step.  You might be the only one trying too build and run on your particular distro.  So you might be the only one who can diagnose the problem.  Look on it as a learning experience.

BTW, I have work to do also.  I don't get paid to provide the open-source Cog.  I get paid to keep Teleplace working.  You're potentially going to benefit a lot by using a faster VM.  You might view putting in a little time now as payback.  It'd be appreciated.

best
Eliot

> [...]

>> > 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>> > source))
>> > 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>> > you're
>> >   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>> > 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>> >     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>> > -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1
>> > -DCOGMTVM=0"
>> > LIBS=-lpthread
>> >     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>> > 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via

Re: Cog on linux

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2010/07/13 23:04, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Levente. Unfortunately it did not work:
>>>
>>> ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not
>>> found (required by ./lib/squeak/3.9-7/squeak)
>>
>> Seems like you have to build it yourself. Fortunately it's very easy,
>> since Eliot commits the generated sources to the svn repo. So you can
>> build a CogVM/StackVM without VMMaker. Here is how:
>>
>> "How to build the Cog Croquet VM on Unix
>> -------------------------------
>> 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>> source))
>> 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>> you're
>> reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>> svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>> 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>> ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>> -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1
>> -DCOGMTVM=0" LIBS=-lpthread
>> make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>> 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via -prefix"
>
> Are there any additional requirements like gcc version, for instance?
>
> I ask because I get errors on the above instructions, on FreeBSD 6.4, running
> gcc 3.4.6. I can attach configure's output and whatnot, if you're interested.

If configure failed, then please attach the output and continue this
thread on the vm-dev list.

Levente

> frank
>
>> Levente
>>

>>> Rob
>>>

>>> ________________________________

Re: Cog on linux

Derek O'Connell-2
Hi Chris,

>>> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either: - check
>>> that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so exists, or

this is just a quick fly-by suggestion. I don't think the "//" matters
since I can do either of these...

ls -l /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-3/vm-display-X11
ls -l /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-3//vm-display-X11

So maybe you need (on one line)...

ln -s /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11
/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11.so

Notice I'm on a different version so I can't rule out a version specific
build problem.

HTH

-D

Cog bugs (was Re: Cog on linux (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1))

Casey Ransberger-2
Changing subject for sanity.

Is there a place to file bugs against the open source version of Cog? (*nudge*) It might improve signal:noise in any event.

I realize that OSCog is the community's responsibility! But if we're going to be responsible about shepherding it, we may as well add a category to Mantis (or something.) What do folks think about that?

FWIW, I had the same symptom running Ubuntu 10.4; Eliot was kind enough to suggest some things I might explore with the debugger, but I haven't had time to drill down into it (just took a new job, ramping up on a pile of software and relational tomfoolery.)

It seems like it's a distro-issue. I'm curious, and I understand that it might not be apropos to disclose, but on the off chance it is, what GNU/Linux distro has Cog seen the most testing on?

This thread seems to have wandered a bit, but I'll read the whole thing and then forward his suggestions if they still seem promising and haven't been reproduced here.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> > 1. Install the tools (gcc, X11-devel, etc (e.g. libpng, libX11 & libxt
>> > source))
>> > 2. Check out the following sources from svn (if you haven't already - if
>> > you're
>> >   reading this in unixbuild its likely you've already got the sources)
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/src
>> >     svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/unixbuild
>> > 3. Open a shell, cd into the unixbuild/bld directory and execute
>> >     ../../platforms/unix/config/configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -msse2
>> > -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1
>> > -DCOGMTVM=0"
>> > LIBS=-lpthread
>> >     make install prefix=WhereYouWantTheVmToGo
>> > 4. At the end of it you'll get a new VM in the path provided via

Re: Cog bugs (was Re: Cog on linux (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1))

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Changing subject for sanity.
>
> Is there a place to file bugs against the open source version of Cog? (*nudge*) It might improve signal:noise in any event.
>
> I realize that OSCog is the community's responsibility! But if we're going to be responsible about shepherding it, we may as well add a category to Mantis (or something.) What do folks think about that?
>
> FWIW, I had the same symptom running Ubuntu 10.4; Eliot was kind enough to suggest some things I might explore with the debugger, but I haven't had time to drill down into it (just took a new job, ramping up on a pile of software and relational tomfoolery.)
>
> It seems like it's a distro-issue. I'm curious, and I understand that it might not be apropos to disclose, but on the off chance it is, what GNU/Linux distro has Cog seen the most testing on?

That's really strange, because I succesfully built Cog on Ubuntu 10.4 and
it works fine. Today I even managed to compile the plugin for FFI and
Alien (thought none of them works :)) and the UUIDPlugin. I also fixed the
cryptography plugins, those work well (at least the tests pass).
Back to your problem: after compiling I only have vm-display-X11, but no
vm-display-X11.so. Are you sure you're not mixing the files/VMMaker of the
CogVM and the SqueakVM?

Levente

> This thread seems to have wandered a bit, but I'll read the whole thing and then forward his suggestions if they still seem promising and haven't been reproduced here.
>
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Eliot, if you replied to my original post under a different
>> subject, I must have missed it:
>>
>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151522.html
>>
>> I do not have adequate C or C++ experience to even run the debugger.
>> I really just want to _get_ a Cog VM so I can be more productive in
>> getting my work done so I can then work on things like learning new
>> langauges and tools...   :)
>>
>> If you can compile the VM you can surely learn to use gdb.  Its only a debugger.  break foo. step. etc. etc.  It would really help (yourself and others) if you'd take this next step.  You might be the only one trying too build and run on your particular distro.  So you might be the only one who can diagnose the problem.  Look on it as a learning experience.
>>
>> BTW, I have work to do also.  I don't get paid to provide the open-source Cog.  I get paid to keep Teleplace working.  You're potentially going to benefit a lot by using a faster VM.  You might view putting in a little time now as payback.  It'd be appreciated.
>>
>> best
>> Eliot
>>

>> I had hoped, given that the problem seems to be exposed (the
>> double-slash) that the cause and solution would be obvious to
>> someone..

>>> Chris, I believe I replied suggesting you step though the dynamic loading
>>> code to get more information.
>>> I think everything starts from loadModules in
>>> platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.
>>> I suggest you rerun the configure command to eliminate all optimization
>>> (including deleting any -fomit-frame-pointer) and then step from loadModules
>>> and see why you don't get to a functional dlopen call
>>> in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixExternalPrims.c.
>>> HTH
>>> Eliot

Chris Muller-4
Eliot, if I came across as having any expectations of you
specifically, then I do apologize.  My intent was to only to solicit
help from any willing party with my immediate problem.  It had looked
like it might have just a simple or obvious issue, but perhaps not..

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eliot, if you replied to my original post under a different
>> subject, I must have missed it:
>>

>>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-June/151522.html
>>
>> I do not have adequate C or C++ experience to even run the debugger.
>> I really just want to _get_ a Cog VM so I can be more productive in
>> getting my work done so I can then work on things like learning new
>> langauges and tools...   :)
>
> If you can compile the VM you can surely learn to use gdb.  Its only a
> debugger.  break foo. step. etc. etc.  It would really help (yourself and
> others) if you'd take this next step.  You might be the only one trying too
> build and run on your particular distro.  So you might be the only one who
> can diagnose the problem.  Look on it as a learning experience.
> BTW, I have work to do also.  I don't get paid to provide the open-source
> Cog.  I get paid to keep Teleplace working.  You're potentially going to
> benefit a lot by using a faster VM.  You might view putting in a little time
> now as payback.  It'd be appreciated.
> best
> Eliot
>>
>> I had hoped, given that the problem seems to be exposed (the
>> double-slash) that the cause and solution would be obvious to
>> someone..
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Chris, I believe I replied suggesting you step though the dynamic
>> > code to get more information.
>> > I think everything starts from loadModules in
>> > platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c.
>> > I suggest you rerun the configure command to eliminate all optimization
>> > (including deleting any -fomit-frame-pointer) and then step from
>> > loadModules
>> > and see why you don't get to a functional dlopen call
>> > in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixExternalPrims.c.
>> > HTH
>> > Eliot

Levente,

I suspected the same. I was running an older Ubuntu release. I thought maybe I had cruft left over from my old VM, (or from a couple of Cog builds that failed because I was missing dependencies,) and maybe that was causing my problem. So I paved the disk, installed 10.4, and built Cog w/o ever installing another VM. Same symptom, with the weird double slash in the error message.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 6:53 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> langauges and tools...   :)
>>>
>>> If you can compile the VM you can surely learn to use gdb.  Its only a debugger.  break foo. step. etc. etc.  It would really help (yourself and others) if you'd take this next step.  You might be the only one trying too build and run on your particular distro.  So you might be the only one who can diagnose the problem.  Look on it as a learning experience.
>>>
>>> BTW, I have work to do also.  I don't get paid to provide the open-source Cog.  I get paid to keep Teleplace working.  You're potentially going to benefit a lot by using a faster VM.  You might view putting in a little time now as payback.  It'd be appreciated.
>>>
>>> best
>>> Eliot
>>>

>>> I had hoped, given that the problem seems to be exposed (the
>>> double-slash) that the cause and solution would be obvious to

Re: Cog on linux

Casey Ransberger-2
Hmm. That's an interesting try. I tried renaming vm-display-X11 to vm-display-X11.so, and that didn't help; which confounds me. Is there a reason that using a symlink would have a different effect from my rename try?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either: - check
that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7//vm-display-X11.so exists, or

this is just a quick fly-by suggestion. I don't think the "//" matters
since I can do either of these...

ls -l /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-3/vm-display-X11
ls -l /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-3//vm-display-X11

So maybe you need (on one line)...

ln -s /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11 /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-7/vm-display-X11.so