UTF-8 status of VMs?

Andreas.Raab

Folks -

Just a quick check on the status of UTF-8 support in the VMs. Do we by
now have agreement that all strings coming into the VM and out of the VM
should be in UTF-8 by default? Including, but not limited to file and
directory names, clipboard contents, etc?

I'd really like to simplify some of the code to not have to deal with
all of these conversions and simply assume that on any path into the VM
we perform a UTF-8 conversion and get over with it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: UTF-8 status of VMs?

johnmci

mac is utf8 for file api, drag drop,  and clipboard.

On 2010-02-12, at 10:58 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> Just a quick check on the status of UTF-8 support in the VMs. Do we by now have agreement that all strings coming into the VM and out of the VM should be in UTF-8 by default? Including, but not limited to file and directory names, clipboard contents, etc?
>
> I'd really like to simplify some of the code to not have to deal with all of these conversions and simply assume that on any path into the VM we perform a UTF-8 conversion and get over with it.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: UTF-8 status of VMs?

Andreas.Raab

Thanks John, that's *great* news!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

John M McIntosh wrote:

> mac is utf8 for file api, drag drop,  and clipboard.
>
> On 2010-02-12, at 10:58 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Folks -
>>
>> Just a quick check on the status of UTF-8 support in the VMs. Do we by now have agreement that all strings coming into the VM and out of the VM should be in UTF-8 by default? Including, but not limited to file and directory names, clipboard contents, etc?
>>
>> I'd really like to simplify some of the code to not have to deal with all of these conversions and simply assume that on any path into the VM we perform a UTF-8 conversion and get over with it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: UTF-8 status of VMs?

Bert Freudenberg

IIRC Ian's VM still defaults to MacRoman. For Etoys we explicitly set the encoding to UTF-8 in the launch script.

How about we require a "4.x" VM to use only utf-8?

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> IIRC Ian's VM still defaults to MacRoman. For Etoys we explicitly set the encoding to UTF-8 in the launch script.
>
> How about we require a "4.x" VM to use only utf-8?

That would be just wonderful :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas