UTF support in Linux?

smith02243
Hi all,

In the Linux VM, when I try to input, via paste or the right alt combination, non-ascii characters, like 'ö' or 'é' for example, Squeak merely shows 'o?' or 'e?' I researched into this and accordingly chose a font that supports UTF-8 and set the locale and VM command line options appropriately:

export LC_CTYPE="en_IE.UTF-8"
locale-gen en_IE.UTF-8
(...which claims that locale is upto date...)
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
(...which outputs en_IE.UTF-8... done among other things....)
squeak -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 -pathenc UTF-8 Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image

Now when I try to input the aforementioned characters I encounter a debug message: "Error subscript is out of bound."

However, I have set Squeak's language to Spanish and then German, and the characters display perfectly well in the menus. Although, the same cannot be said for the any files with non-ascii characters in the file dialogue. So, it seems it's an input problem.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

Re: UTF support in Linux?

Bert Freudenberg

Am 08.07.2008 um 23:09 schrieb smith02243:

> Hi all,
>
> In the Linux VM, when I try to input, via paste or the right alt
> combination, non-ascii characters, like 'ö' or 'é' for example, Squeak
> merely shows 'o?' or 'e?' I researched into this and accordingly
> chose a
> font that supports UTF-8 and set the locale and VM command line
> options
> appropriately:
>
> export LC_CTYPE="en_IE.UTF-8"
> locale-gen en_IE.UTF-8
> (...which claims that locale is upto date...)
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
> (...which outputs en_IE.UTF-8... done among other things....)
> squeak -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 -pathenc UTF-8
> Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image
>
> Now when I try to input the aforementioned characters I encounter a
> debug
> message: "Error subscript is out of bound."
>
> However, I have set Squeak's language to Spanish and then German,
> and the
> characters display perfectly well in the menus. Although, the same
> cannot be
> said for the any files with non-ascii characters in the file
> dialogue. So,
> it seems it's an input problem.
>
> Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

This has only been addressed recently, and may not have found its way
into a release yet.

You need the very latest Squeak VM (3.10-1 at least). It supports
Unicode keyboard events (which are passed to the image as UTF32).

To make use of these events your image needs to be using
UTF32InputInterpreter. Evaluate

ActiveHand keyboardInterpreter

to see the currently used one. It can be changed by patching
Latin1Environment class>>inputInterpreterClass.

I don't know if this is in any official release yet, or scheduled for
one.

Some relevant change sets from the Etoys image seem to be

http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/1713UnicodeInput1-yo.cs
http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/1714UnicodeInput2-yo.cs
http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/1925unixLatin1Input-yo.cs
http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/1935unicodeFallback-bf.cs

- Bert -

Re: UTF support in Linux?

smith02243
I loaded those change sets in and then restarted and unicode input worked perfectly. Strangely, the EToys-3.0 dev image, claims to[1], but doesn't support unicode input from my experience.

Thanks for your help. If it weren't for the change sets and projects that people link to on this messageboard I would have given up on Squeak ages ago.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/126727.html

Bert Freudenberg wrote

Am 09.07.2008 um 02:31 schrieb smith02243:

> I loaded those change sets in and then restarted and unicode input
> worked
> perfectly.

Great!

> Strangely, the EToys-3.0 dev image, claims to[1], but doesn't
> support unicode input from my experience.

Did you load the updates in the Etoys dev image? We keep the image a
"blank slate", so all the change sets after #1900 are missing. And
#1925 is crucial for this to work.

> Thanks for your help. If it weren't for the change sets and projects
> that
> people link to on this messageboard I would have given up on Squeak
> ages
> ago.

The best way to express your thanks would be by recording this problem
and proposed solution at

        http://bugs.squeak.org/

so it can get into a release :)

- Bert -