UUID new crashes 64bit vm

Philippe Marschall

Hi

I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin because
I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
that was a cUrl plugin?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

Andreas.Raab

If you're in a hurry, just disable the primitive. John had some fallback
code in there which will make a UUID if the prim isn't there.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
> VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
> reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
> plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin because
> I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
> way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
> that was a cUrl plugin?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

John M McIntosh-2

Yes, well however I'd suggest one peers at that smalltalk code and
adjust things to pull a chunk of bits from /dev/urandom in a single read
and mask off the number of bits needed, versus the loop that is there
making bits. This would be safer and likely faster since the fallback
code
is based on squeak smalltalk based random number generator which  has
numerous cryptographic flaws and there exists a probability that
UUID generated from the existing code *could* repeat given just the
right circumstances.

On Oct 5, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> If you're in a hurry, just disable the primitive. John had some
> fallback code in there which will make a UUID if the prim isn't there.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> Hi
>> I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
>> VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
>> reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
>> plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin
>> because
>> I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
>> way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
>> that was a cUrl plugin?
>> Cheers
>> Philippe

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

David T. Lewis

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 04:07:12PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
> VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
> reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
> plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin because
> I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
> way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
> that was a cUrl plugin?

Some plugins have not been updated for 64bit platforms. The CurlPlugin
may be one of them.

Dave

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

Philippe Marschall

2008/10/5, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 04:07:12PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
>> VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
>> reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
>> plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin because
>> I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
>> way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
>> that was a cUrl plugin?
>
> Some plugins have not been updated for 64bit platforms. The CurlPlugin
> may be one of them.

The CurlPlugin runs fine. It's the UUIDPlugin I have trouble with.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

David T. Lewis

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 09:05:29PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2008/10/5, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 04:07:12PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> >>
> >> I built a 64bit VM (for 32bit images) from SVN trunk and
> >> VMMaker-dtl.102. UUID new causes the VM to segmentation fault. The
> >> reason I did this is because I need to have a Unix VM with the cUrl
> >> plugin and my system is 64 bit. I need to have the cUrl plugin because
> >> I need an https client. If I'm doing it wrong what would be the right
> >> way of doing it? Or is there even a recent 64bit Unix VM available
> >> that was a cUrl plugin?
> >
> > Some plugins have not been updated for 64bit platforms. The CurlPlugin
> > may be one of them.
>
> The CurlPlugin runs fine. It's the UUIDPlugin I have trouble with.

I just tried building the UUIDPlugin on 64bit AMD and it works fine.
I ran it under gdb and stepped through the primitive just to be sure
it was running, and there were no problems.

Perhaps there is a problem with your libuuid installation? I installed
only the 64bit uuid library (usr/lib64/libuuid.so) when I tried this.
Perhaps if the 32bit library is also installed, it could cause confusion.

Dave

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

Philippe Marschall

2008/10/6, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 09:05:29PM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> > Some plugins have not been updated for 64bit platforms. The CurlPlugin
>> > may be one of them.
>>
>> The CurlPlugin runs fine. It's the UUIDPlugin I have trouble with.
>
> I just tried building the UUIDPlugin on 64bit AMD and it works fine.
> I ran it under gdb and stepped through the primitive just to be sure
> it was running, and there were no problems.
>
> Perhaps there is a problem with your libuuid installation? I installed
> only the 64bit uuid library (usr/lib64/libuuid.so) when I tried this.

Same here.

> Perhaps if the 32bit library is also installed, it could cause confusion.

Indeed there is usr/lib32/libuuid.so as well. How should I proceed?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

David T. Lewis

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 06:39:07AM +0200, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2008/10/6, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

> >> The CurlPlugin runs fine. It's the UUIDPlugin I have trouble with.
> >
> > I just tried building the UUIDPlugin on 64bit AMD and it works fine.
> > I ran it under gdb and stepped through the primitive just to be sure
> > it was running, and there were no problems.
> >
> > Perhaps there is a problem with your libuuid installation? I installed
> > only the 64bit uuid library (usr/lib64/libuuid.so) when I tried this.
>
> Same here.
>
> > Perhaps if the 32bit library is also installed, it could cause confusion.
>
> Indeed there is usr/lib32/libuuid.so as well. How should I proceed?

Actually, I have no experience with this. My guess would be that you
just need a way to tell Linux what the search path is for the linker.
I think that you can probably do this by adding "-L/usr/lib64" to the
Makefile for the plugin and/or the VM. This is probably a Linux FAX,
and Google may know more about it than I do ;-)

I'm really just guessing here, all I can say for sure is that it compiled
and ran on my Linux laptop. FWIW, this is a SuSE Linux 64bit OS.

Dave

Re: UUID new crashes 64bit vm

Göran Krampe

Hey!

Just wanted to mention that you can do https client side using stunnel.
I did a scraper using Todd Blanchards very nice parser and HttpClient
package on SM + stunnel. Works just fine - if you are only going to
access a specific site of course. Otherwise I guess it gets tricky to
control stunnel.

regards, Göran