Ubuntu Linux

Richard Eng
I¹m trying to install Squeak on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu Linux 7.04
(Feisty Fawn) using...

Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

...from Squeak.org. But it complains...

³No binaries/libraries found for i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.²

I am completely baffled by how this can fail, unless no one on this planet
has ever installed Squeak on Feisty Fawn. Can somebody give me a clue?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Enno Schwass
Hi

> I’m trying to install Squeak on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu
> Linux 7.04
> (Feisty Fawn) using...
> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> ...from Squeak.org. But it complains...
> “No binaries/libraries found for i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.”
> I am completely baffled by how this can fail, unless no one on this
> planet
> has ever installed Squeak on Feisty Fawn. Can somebody give me a clue?

Squeak runs on Ubuntu 7.04 without problems here.
You download a tar.gz, so you want to install from source?
Try a pre-compiled Synaptic package instead. (Could be difficult on a
64bit Linux)

If you want to build from source, dont forget to install all the
development tools before.
Go to synaptic and install the "build-essential" package.

Hope that helps
Enno_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Richard Eng
No, not install from source. As I said, I tried to install

Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

...which is the binary download from Squeak.org. And I¹m using 32-bit Linux
(Ubuntu).

The Synaptic package is out of date--the latest version it has is 3.8. I
need 3.9 (because I have development images of Seaside based on 3.9).

This is really goofy. What can possibly be wrong with my fresh Feisty Fawn
installation???

Regards,
Richard

-------------
Hi

> I¹m trying to install Squeak on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu
> Linux 7.04
> (Feisty Fawn) using...
> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> ...from Squeak.org. But it complains...
> ³No binaries/libraries found for i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.²
> I am completely baffled by how this can fail, unless no one on this
> planet
> has ever installed Squeak on Feisty Fawn. Can somebody give me a clue?

Squeak runs on Ubuntu 7.04 without problems here.
You download a tar.gz, so you want to install from source?
Try a pre-compiled Synaptic package instead. (Could be difficult on a
64bit Linux)

If you want to build from source, dont forget to install all the
development tools before.
Go to synaptic and install the "build-essential" package.

Hope that helps
Enno

Re: Ubuntu Linux

David Mitchell-10
I downloaded Sophie this weekend on Linux. That ran without a hitch on
Feisty. I then grabbed a dev image from:

http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/

And that worked great as well.

On 8/13/07, Enno Schwass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I'm trying to install Squeak on a *fresh* installation of Ubuntu
> > Linux 7.04
> > (Feisty Fawn) using...
> > Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> > ...from Squeak.org. But it complains...
> > "No binaries/libraries found for i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1."
> > I am completely baffled by how this can fail, unless no one on this
> > planet
> > has ever installed Squeak on Feisty Fawn. Can somebody give me a clue?
>
> Squeak runs on Ubuntu 7.04 without problems here.
> You download a tar.gz, so you want to install from source?
> Try a pre-compiled Synaptic package instead. (Could be difficult on a
> 64bit Linux)
>
> If you want to build from source, dont forget to install all the
> development tools before.
> Go to synaptic and install the "build-essential" package.
>
> Hope that helps
> Enno_______________________________________________
> Beginners mailing list

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Enno Schwass
Hi

> No, not install from source. As I said, I tried to install
> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> ...which is the binary download from Squeak.org. And I’m using 32-
> bit Linux
> (Ubuntu).

Ok. I see.

> The Synaptic package is out of date--the latest version it has is
> 3.8. I
> need 3.9 (because I have development images of Seaside based on 3.9).

I guess, this vm works with never images, too

> This is really goofy. What can possibly be wrong with my fresh
> Feisty Fawn
> installation???

Just do an installation from source. Download the source of the vm
and follow the instructions in the package to install.
It works without problems here.

Good luck
Enno_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Richard Eng
I¹m having no luck at all. I¹m trying to build from sources but the system
keeps complaining that gcc can¹t create executables. I tried doing it as
root but it made no difference.

This is ridiculous. Everything is fighting against me. I don't want to have
to debug my C development environment. I just want to run Squeak!

Why is it that everyone else has no problem running Squeak 3.9 under Feisty
Fawn??? This is driving me crazy.

What binaries/libraries are the Squeak VM installation looking for?

Richard

----------
Hi

> No, not install from source. As I said, I tried to install
> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> ...which is the binary download from Squeak.org. And I¹m using 32-
> bit Linux
> (Ubuntu).

Ok. I see.

> The Synaptic package is out of date--the latest version it has is
> 3.8. I
> need 3.9 (because I have development images of Seaside based on 3.9).

I guess, this vm works with never images, too

> This is really goofy. What can possibly be wrong with my fresh
> Feisty Fawn
> installation???

Just do an installation from source. Download the source of the vm
and follow the instructions in the package to install.
It works without problems here.

Good luck
Enno

Re: Ubuntu Linux

John Almberg
You probably don't have the c compiler set up. Try running:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

On Aug 13, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Richard Eng wrote:

> i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marketing for On-line Collectible Dealers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
[hidden email]
www.identry.com

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Bert Freudenberg
After unpacking the tarball, just rename i686-pc-linux-gnu to i686-pc-
linux-gnulibc1 before installing. Apparently Ubuntu uses a non-
canonical system designation, which confuses the installer.

- Bert -

On Aug 13, 2007, at 8:54 , Richard Eng wrote:

> I’m having no luck at all. I’m trying to build from sources but the
> system
> keeps complaining that gcc can’t create executables. I tried doing
> it as
> root but it made no difference.
>
> This is ridiculous. Everything is fighting against me. I don't want
> to have
> to debug my C development environment. I just want to run Squeak!
>
> Why is it that everyone else has no problem running Squeak 3.9
> under Feisty
> Fawn??? This is driving me crazy.
>
> What binaries/libraries are the Squeak VM installation looking for?
>
> Richard
>
> ----------
> Hi
>
>> No, not install from source. As I said, I tried to install
>> Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz
>> ...which is the binary download from Squeak.org. And I’m using 32-
>> bit Linux
>> (Ubuntu).
>
> Ok. I see.
>
>> The Synaptic package is out of date--the latest version it has is
>> 3.8. I
>> need 3.9 (because I have development images of Seaside based on 3.9).
>
> I guess, this vm works with never images, too
>
>> This is really goofy. What can possibly be wrong with my fresh
>> Feisty Fawn
>> installation???
>
> Just do an installation from source. Download the source of the vm
> and follow the instructions in the package to install.
> It works without problems here.
>
> Good luck
> Enno

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Richard Eng
Finally, a reasonable answer! This works.

No one thought to document this somewhere obvious? Like in a README or on
the Ubuntu forum?

Thanks, Bert.

Regards,
Richard

---------------------------
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

After unpacking the tarball, just rename i686-pc-linux-gnu to i686-pc-
linux-gnulibc1 before installing. Apparently Ubuntu uses a non-
canonical system designation, which confuses the installer.

- Bert -

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Blake-5
Do I take from this that the Synapse Package Installer Squeak options
don't work?

(I'm just about to do a Squeak install on Ubuntu.)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:31:49 -0700, Richard Eng <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Finally, a reasonable answer! This works.
>
> No one thought to document this somewhere obvious? Like in a README or on
> the Ubuntu forum?
>
> Thanks, Bert.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>

> ---------------------------
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> After unpacking the tarball, just rename i686-pc-linux-gnu to i686-pc-
> linux-gnulibc1 before installing. Apparently Ubuntu uses a non-
> canonical system designation, which confuses the installer.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Ubuntu Linux

John Warner-3
Dear Blake,

I installed it with no problem onto Ubuntu and Xubuntu - the issue is
that it comes with an old image so to do what Richard did and not to
have to make it all from scratch you can do the following:

Install the synaptic package which installs the 3.8 image as well.

I ran it once and it places the image in ~/squeak - on your home folder.

I then downloaded the image I wanted from the squeak website - this is
the image NOT the whole virtual machine etc.

This is held at:

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/Squeak3.9-final-7067.zip

So you can even wget if you want.

I then expanded it and moved the following all the files bar
the .DC_Store (stuff for Macs) folder in the ~/squeak folder.

When I loaded squeak again I got the option of 3.9 and 3.8xxx.

It is easier than you might have thought.

Best wishes,

John Warner

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 20:13 -0700, Blake wrote:

> Do I take from this that the Synapse Package Installer Squeak options
> don't work?
>
> (I'm just about to do a Squeak install on Ubuntu.)
>
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:31:49 -0700, Richard Eng <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Finally, a reasonable answer! This works.
> >
> > No one thought to document this somewhere obvious? Like in a README or on
> > the Ubuntu forum?
> >
> > Thanks, Bert.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Richard
> >

> > ---------------------------
> > Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >
> > After unpacking the tarball, just rename i686-pc-linux-gnu to i686-pc-
> > linux-gnulibc1 before installing. Apparently Ubuntu uses a non-
> > canonical system designation, which confuses the installer.
> >
> > - Bert -

Re: Ubuntu Linux

Blake-5
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:52:12 -0700, John Warner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When I loaded squeak again I got the option of 3.9 and 3.8xxx.
>
> It is easier than you might have thought.

Much appreciated, John. I could use some "easy" about now.