Ubuntu and Squeak

Rob Rothwell
Ok...so we sort of got Ubuntu running on a server...which VM should I go get?

(Yes, I am so NOT "Linux-enabled" at this particular time...)

Thanks!

Rob

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok...so we sort of got Ubuntu running on a server...which VM should I go get?

(Yes, I am so NOT "Linux-enabled" at this particular time...)

Hi Rob.

It depends on your architecture. If you're just running on 32-bit x86, you can just use the latest Linux VM from http://www.squeak.org/Download. Here's a direct link, because I'm such a nice guy and my browser is open on it anyway:

http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/unix-linux/Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

IIRC there may be a VM that is installable from Ubuntu's package manager. That would work as well.

If you installed the AMD64 bit version of Ubuntu, then things are a bit trickier. Then you'll need to look at http://www.squeakvm.org/.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 18:07 -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Ok...so we sort of got Ubuntu running on a server...which VM should I
> go get?
>
> (Yes, I am so NOT "Linux-enabled" at this particular time...)

Easiest is to use the one in ubuntus multiverse. If you have
enabled "multiverse" in your software sources an

aptitude install squeak-vm

should do.

Norbert

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Rob Rothwell
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Easiest is to use the one in ubuntus multiverse. If you have
enabled "multiverse" in your software sources an

aptitude install squeak-vm

should do.

Thanks...I can tell I am about to need "Ubuntu for Dummies!"

Rob

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Rob Rothwell
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Easiest is to use the one in ubuntus multiverse. If you have
enabled "multiverse" in your software sources an

aptitude install squeak-vm

should do.

This worked very well once we got a terminal up and running and so on...thanks!  I was able to move my development image from a Windows laptop right onto a dual processor 64 bit Ubuntu box and have my Aida website running just as advertised!  Very impressive!

Now we just have to finish our application...

Rob

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Hanita Bte Abd Hamid
Im sorry,but this mail belongs to my work. I can't handle too much emails. How do I unsubscibe and change the subscribe mailing address.

Pls advice.
Thanks

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Hanita Bte Abd Hamid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Im sorry,but this mail belongs to my work. I can't handle too much emails. How do I unsubscibe and change the subscribe mailing address.

First, you look at the signature at the bottom of this email. It looks like this:

Then you make a GMail account and subscribe yourself there :-).

Gulik

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Stan Shepherd
Rob Rothwell-2 wrote
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Rob Rothwell <r.j.rothwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Norbert Hartl <norbert@hartl.name> wrote:
>
>> Easiest is to use the one in ubuntus multiverse. If you have
>> enabled "multiverse" in your software sources an
>>
>> aptitude install squeak-vm
>>
>> should do.

This worked very well once we got a terminal up and running and so
on...thanks!  I was able to move my development image from a Windows laptop
right onto a dual processor 64 bit Ubuntu box and have my Aida website
running just as advertised!  Very impressive!

Now we just have to finish our application...

Rob

Hi Rob,

What do you get for SmalltalkImage current vmVersion please? When I use apt-get or Synaptics I seem to get the 3.7 vm.

Thanks, ...Stan

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Rob Rothwell
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:50 AM, stan shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rob,

What do you get for SmalltalkImage current vmVersion please? When I use
apt-get or Synaptics I seem to get the 3.7 vm.

It says:

'Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]'.

If it matters, I am running the Desktop version of Ubuntu, 8.04 LTS, 64 bit version...

Rob

Re: Ubuntu and Squeak

Stan Shepherd

Rob Rothwell-2 wrote
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:50 AM, stan shepherd <squeak414@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> What do you get for SmalltalkImage current vmVersion please? When I use
> apt-get or Synaptics I seem to get the 3.7 vm.

It says:

'Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]'.

If it matters, I am running the Desktop version of Ubuntu, 8.04 LTS, 64 bit
version...

Rob
Interesting, I moved to the version on the Squeak downloads site; it is  'Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159]'.

Upgrading the VM got rid of a nasty bug where closing the Squeak window exited immediately, even if you had unsaved changes or were in the middle of saving.

I suppose it's time to upgrade Ubuntu as well.

...Stan