Unable to type up arrow (ASCII 24) in 4.1, so can't do examples in Squeak by Example.

Unable to type up arrow (ASCII 24) in 4.1, so can't do examples in Squeak by Example.

Winter Laite
Unable to type up arrow (ASCII 24) in 4.1, so can't do examples in Squeak by Example.

Hello, I am an utter beginner at Squeak and just had an extremely frustrating experience with 4.1.
I have been going through the first few pages of "Squeak by Example". When I got to the "shout" method, I was unable to get any farther, because I cannot type an up arrow in 4.1.
By up arrow I mean '↑'.
It works fine in 3.9 by typing a '^'.
What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to type up arrow (ASCII 24) in 4.1, so can't do examples in Squeak by Example.

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.05.2010, at 02:15, Winter Laite wrote:

Hello, I am an utter beginner at Squeak and just had an extremely frustrating experience with 4.1.
I have been going through the first few pages of "Squeak by Example". When I got to the "shout" method, I was unable to get any farther, because I cannot type an up arrow in 4.1.
By up arrow I mean '↑'.
It works fine in 3.9 by typing a '^'.
What gives?

Thanks in advance.

Which operating system and which VM version do you use?

- Bert -

Re: Unable to type up arrow (ASCII 24) in 4.1, so can't do examples in Squeak by Example.

David Mitchell-10
Do you mean that you don't see an up arrow character? Or that it doesn't work if you use a ^?

The up arrow shows as an arrow if the font has been rewritten for squeak.

The caret shows up if you are using a normal font. Should work just as well (but not match the book visually).