Uncommon keyboard shortcuts on Windows

Jan Blizničenko
Hello

First of all, I don't use much keyboard shortcuts on linux or mac, so all I write is just from point of Windows-only user.
I would like to ask what is the reason of very uncommon keyboard shortcuts on Windows.

Best example is redo/do again/invert undo... undo is ctrl+Z (which is right), but redo/do again is alt+J, which is something I have never seen anywhere, because it is mostly ctrl+Y (microsoft products), ctrl+shift+Z (photoshop for windows) or both (google and mozilla products on windows).
Also, for select all, I have never seen any other shortcut than ctrl+A, but it is alt+A in Pharo... ctrl+A works only in playground.

Is it a workaround because of a bug? Is it the bug itself? Or is it just a "feature", like using the same as some other OS does?

Jan

Re: Uncommon keyboard shortcuts on Windows

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

there is currently ongoing discussion about shortcuts since there is a bit Ctrl vs Alt chaos in both Linux and Windows.
Note for example that in many cases (undo, copy, paste, ...) you can use both ctrl and alt.
Unfortunately there are many different tools (Nautilus, TextEditor, Rubic, Playground) and each specifies shortcuts by itself and slightly differently.

In any case the "default" for Windows is at the moment Alt.

Peter

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Jan B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

laura
Hi Jan ,

(Under Windows...)
For redoing ctrl+shif+z works fine on Workspace and Class Browser and in any other place i can remember.
Copy, cut, paste, find, text selecting, moving to previous/next word (not exactly the same semantics) shortcuts convey Windows ones. Which other keyboard shortcuts, besides select-all, contradict Windows ones?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Jan B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi

You're right, ctrl+shift+z works, thanks for showing me.

Except of select all (which is, however, pretty important to me), there is just a little more of ctrl/alt chaos mentioned by Peter. In code editor part of class browser works both alt and ctrl (like ctrl+b for browse it or ctrl+d for do it), but not in list of packages/classes/protocols/methods, where only alt does, like alt+x,p for remove package. Of course, there isn't any native Windows shortcut for remove package, but it would be nice to be able to use ctrl there, too, to unify it. Another reason for using ctrl is that is is much easily keeping pressed for me, but it may be just me :)

And last thing are means of selecting multiple items in class browser. It is standard in Windows to be able to select everything between currently selected element and clicked one when holding shift (which works just fine everywhere), but adding single item to selection also works only with alt, but not ctrl (like in Windows).
And this adding single items with ctrl (I mean alt here) does not work at all with classes/protocols/methods, only with packages, but shift-selecting works fine there. This one, however, might not be related to shortcuts.

Jan

laura wrote
Hi Jan ,

(Under Windows...)
For redoing ctrl+shif+z works fine on Workspace and Class Browser and in
any other place i can remember.
Copy, cut, paste, find, text selecting, moving to previous/next word (not
exactly the same semantics) shortcuts convey Windows ones. Which other
keyboard shortcuts, besides select-all, contradict Windows ones?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Jan B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Best example is redo/do again/invert undo... undo is ctrl+Z (which is
> right), but redo/do again is alt+J, which is something I have never seen
> anywhere, because it is mostly ctrl+Y (microsoft products), ctrl+shift+Z
> (photoshop for windows) or both (google and mozilla products on windows).
> Also, for select all, I have never seen any other shortcut than ctrl+A, but
> it is alt+A in Pharo... ctrl+A works only in playground.

Re: Uncommon keyboard shortcuts on Windows

laura
I forget to mention close-tab shortcut (ctrl+w) which is common to Windows.

I agree (in case you tacitly said so) keyboard shortcuts are really important for usability and i agree select-all is really important. Related to this, there is a select-word shortcut (alt+space) which selects the word the caret is at, afaik Windows lacks natively this useful shortcut.

I didn't know you that multiple selecting items on class browsers works pressing Alt Gr (for me left and right alt keys work differently), it's nice you mentioned it   :).