Universe Video .sar to FileIn

Kirk Fraser
I tried Squeak Universe, Uncategorized Video and Image Processing but it failed to load.
I attempted to contact Maintainer Lex Spoon asking for an update but no response so far.
I downloaded the .sar file indicated but it's not a fileOut so I can't read and learn to fix it.
What do I do with the .sar file so I can read and install the Smalltalk code class by class?

Thanks,
Kirk Fraser

Re: Universe Video .sar to FileIn

Ken G. Brown
The archives with all the old release are at <ftp://ftp.squeak.org/>
All in one distros are relatively recent, so you most likely will need to find appropriate sources and VM's to go with the images and changes files you find there, however often later VM's would work with older images.

Ken G. Brown

At 9:27 AM -0700 9/5/11, Overcomer Man apparently wrote:

>Is there a set of old Squeak all-in-one versions to download and try to get the Video tool in Universe to download into the image it was made for?  Thanks.
>

>On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Overcomer Man <<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>I tried Squeak Universe, Uncategorized Video and Image Processing but it failed to load.
>I attempted to contact Maintainer Lex Spoon asking for an update but no response so far.
>I downloaded the .sar file indicated but it's not a fileOut so I can't read and learn to fix it.
>What do I do with the .sar file so I can read and install the Smalltalk code class by class?
>
>Thanks,
>Kirk Fraser

Re: Universe Video .sar to FileIn

Ralph Johnson
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Overcomer Man <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried Squeak Universe, Uncategorized Video and Image Processing but it
> failed to load.

"Universe" is a funny name for this system, because it is NOT
everything in the world, but very much a closed system.   There are
supposed to be many Universes, each for one version of Squeak.  The
first Universe was for 3.9.   The one you are using is probably the
one for 3.10, which was part of the standard release.  (Universe was
just an add-on for 3.9).   The problem is that later releases of
Squeak have continued to include Universe, but they are still pointing
to the old 3.10 database.   The 3.10 Universe should NOT be changed to
work with later versions of Squeak.  Instead, the idea is that a new
Universe should be created for each version.  That has not happened,
so Universe is not really useful for later versions of Squeak.

if you want to use the 3.10 Universe, get a 3.10 image.   Then it
should work fine.  You can play with the code and see how it works,
export it, and try to get it to work in the current version of Squeak.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Universe Video .sar to FileIn

Göran Krampe
On 09/05/2011 04:57 PM, Overcomer Man wrote:
> I tried Squeak Universe, Uncategorized Video and Image Processing but it
> failed to load.
> I attempted to contact Maintainer Lex Spoon asking for an update but no
> response so far.
> I downloaded the .sar file indicated but it's not a fileOut so I can't
> read and learn to fix it.
> What do I do with the .sar file so I can read and install the Smalltalk
> code class by class?

As Karl mentioned a .sar file is just a zip file. BUT... IIRC the file
tool in Squeak can install a sar file, at least it could do that
earlier. Try selecting the file and see if there is a button called
"Install" to use.

regards, Göran