Unix VM configure question

Andreas.Raab
Hi Guys -

I'm trying to build a unix VM that doesn't have to live in an absolute
location (so we can install it in a user's directory instead of
/usr/local/mumble). It looked like configure --prefix=. would be the way
to go, but it complains about

configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix: .

How does one convince configure to use a relative location?

Thanks,
   - Andreas

Re: Unix VM configure question

Bert Freudenberg

On Feb 22, 2007, at 21:24 , Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi Guys -
>
> I'm trying to build a unix VM that doesn't have to live in an
> absolute location (so we can install it in a user's directory
> instead of /usr/local/mumble). It looked like configure --prefix=.
> would be the way to go, but it complains about
>
> configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix: .
>
> How does one convince configure to use a relative location?

No go. Use an absolute path for building, then just copy the files
wherever you want.

You need to give a command line argument where the plugins are found
when running. My Croquet.sh script takes care of doing that, I'm sure
you have that somewhere on your disk ;)

- Bert -

Re: Unix VM configure question

Andreas.Raab
Ah! So *that* is what that's good for ;-) Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2007, at 21:24 , Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys -
>>
>> I'm trying to build a unix VM that doesn't have to live in an absolute
>> location (so we can install it in a user's directory instead of
>> /usr/local/mumble). It looked like configure --prefix=. would be the
>> way to go, but it complains about
>>
>> configure: error: expected an absolute directory name for --prefix: .
>>
>> How does one convince configure to use a relative location?
>
> No go. Use an absolute path for building, then just copy the files
> wherever you want.
>
> You need to give a command line argument where the plugins are found
> when running. My Croquet.sh script takes care of doing that, I'm sure
> you have that somewhere on your disk ;)
>
> - Bert -

Re: Unix VM configure question

timrowledge
Don't forget that there is a hierarchy of places to look for plugins
encoded in ioLoadModule() -
   if ((   handle= tryLoading(    "./", pluginName))
       || (handle= tryLoadingPath("SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH", pluginName))
       || (handle= tryLoading(    VM_LIBDIR"/", pluginName))
       || (handle= tryLoadingPath("LD_LIBRARY_PATH", pluginName))
       || (handle= tryLoading(    "", pluginName))
#    if defined(VM_X11DIR)
       || (handle= tryLoading(VM_X11DIR"/", pluginName))
#    endif

so there shouldn't be much need for compile-time specifying locations.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PIC: Permute Instruction Codes

Re: Unix VM configure question

Bert Freudenberg
yes ;-)

You should remove the .so linking nonsense though, nobody wants that.

- Bert -