Unix VM crash on MacOSX

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     On MacOS 10.4.9 (PPC), when I build the Unix VM from the sources at
squeakvm.org (3.9-8), and try to run Squeak3.9-final-7067, I get:

***

     Segmentation fault

     53273604 SystemDictionary>lowSpaceWatcher
     Bus error

***

     When I run the same image with the pre-built PPC MacOS 3.9-8 VM on
squeakvm.org, things are normal. When I run that image on Linux with a
VM built from the same sources, things are normal.

     Any ideas?

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Unix VM crash on MacOSX

Andreas.Raab
 From the way you describe it, it sounds like a GCC problem. Have you
tried compiling with -O0 to see if this works?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      On MacOS 10.4.9 (PPC), when I build the Unix VM from the sources at
> squeakvm.org (3.9-8), and try to run Squeak3.9-final-7067, I get:
>
> ***
>
>      Segmentation fault
>
>      53273604 SystemDictionary>lowSpaceWatcher
>      Bus error
>
> ***
>
>      When I run the same image with the pre-built PPC MacOS 3.9-8 VM on
> squeakvm.org, things are normal. When I run that image on Linux with a
> VM built from the same sources, things are normal.
>
>      Any ideas?
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C

re: Unix VM crash on MacOSX

ccrraaiigg

Hi Andreas--

> From the way you describe it, it sounds like a GCC problem. Have you
> tried compiling with -O0 to see if this works?

     Aha, that works. Thanks! I'd love to hear details about why
optimization messes things up in this situation (I haven't been paying
attention to that issue so far).

     thanks again,

-C

Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi Andreas--
>
>> From the way you describe it, it sounds like a GCC problem. Have you
>> tried compiling with -O0 to see if this works?
>
>      Aha, that works. Thanks! I'd love to hear details about why
> optimization messes things up in this situation (I haven't been paying
> attention to that issue so far).

I can't say what exactly the problem is but since the VM uses generated
code it often utilizes patterns that nobody would ever use in
hand-written code. At times, this exposes edge-cases in the optimizer
(global CSE is a good candidate) and it's neither the first nor the last
time we've seen such effects (Ian has reported various bugs to the GCC
people). I would also expect that the PPC backend has seen much less
attention recently ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Unix VM crash on MacOSX

johnmci
If you use register keyworks via the gunify on intel it will crash

On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Craig Latta wrote:
>> Hi Andreas--
>>> From the way you describe it, it sounds like a GCC problem. Have you
>>> tried compiling with -O0 to see if this works?
>>      Aha, that works. Thanks! I'd love to hear details about why
>> optimization messes things up in this situation (I haven't been
>> paying
>> attention to that issue so far).
>
> I can't say what exactly the problem is but since the VM uses
> generated code it often utilizes patterns that nobody would ever
> use in hand-written code. At times, this exposes edge-cases in the
> optimizer (global CSE is a good candidate) and it's neither the
> first nor the last time we've seen such effects (Ian has reported
> various bugs to the GCC people). I would also expect that the PPC
> backend has seen much less attention recently ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>