Unmerged trunk versions

Jakob Reschke
Hi,

I just noticed that Tools-ct.915 is in Trunk, but not part of the ancestry of the latest version:

image.png

Might want to double-check such things before the release.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Re: Unmerged trunk versions

Christoph Thiede

Possibly a similar issue?

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Unmerged trunk versions

Chris Muller-3
Hi Christoph,

Installer-cmm.436 replaces 435, which was a mistake I preferred to discard than permanently archive.  It's been treated it, if you simply Load 436 (instead of merge), it doesn't include 435 in its ancestry.

Not sure about Tools-ct.915, should it be merged or treated?

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 7:15 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Possibly a similar issue?

Best,

Christoph

Re: Unmerged trunk versions

Jakob Reschke
Hi Chris,

To not mislead the tools I suggest to move the ex-Trunk version Installer-cmm.435 to the treated inbox.

Does 436 note the skipped number 435 in its message? Otherwise some future historian might wonder whether or why something is missing from the repositories.

Happy new year!
Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Mi., 1. Jan. 2020 um 00:26 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
Hi Christoph,

Installer-cmm.436 replaces 435, which was a mistake I preferred to discard than permanently archive.  It's been treated it, if you simply Load 436 (instead of merge), it doesn't include 435 in its ancestry

Re: Unmerged trunk versions

Christoph Thiede

Hi all, Hi Chris,

I see, it is a bit confusing to read these unmerged versions in a Trunk repo. Don't we have any guidelines for this? Usual git approach would be to push a revert commit ...

Not sure about Tools-ct.915, should it be merged or treated?

At least I never requested to treat it :)

^ Year new beHappy :-)

Best,
Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Unmerged trunk versions

Chris Muller-4
Hi Christoph, Happy New Year to you!  :)

I see, it is a bit confusing to read these unmerged versions in a Trunk repo. Don't we have any guidelines for this? Usual git approach would be to push a revert commit ...

Seeing it in the trunk repo has to do with a bug in its cache-handling, which should be fixed by Monticello-cmm.707.

Yes, Squeak does things a little differently.  MC's ancestry is an integrated structure, with a resource demand similar to a public blockchain.  Therefore, especially for the base system packages, emphasis should be placed on keeping this permanently archived artifact as compact as possible.  Thanks for your understanding.   :)

Best,
  Chris