Upcoming elections: process, instructions and timeline

Upcoming elections: process, instructions and timeline

Brent Vukmer
We are about to have the first-ever elections in the Squeak community.  (Sweet!)  This is a long email; I want to make sure that the steps and timing for the voting process are clearly explained.

Here's the process we'll follow:

i) Voters from the 'squeak-dev' community must register on SqP and get
ranked as Apprentice or higher by 2/17 midnight UTC (if you're not ranked at least Apprentice, contact other SqP folks and ask them to rank you)

ii) We will contact the Squeak stakeholder organisations listed at <a href="http://swiki.krampe.se/castaways/9" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://swiki.krampe.se/castaways/9 and asked to pass over
email addresses of any voters they wish to include in the election.  Each organization has until 2/17 midnight UTC to provide their list.

iii) Candidates who are willing to stand and meet the criteria described at

The current list of candidates is:

Noury Bouraqadi
Ken Causey
Peter Crowther
Cees de Groot
Marcus Denker
Stephane Ducasse
Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge

iv) The lists of email addresses from i) and ii) will be combined into a list of voters

v) I will create a private election on the CIVS web application (<a href="http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html) using the voter list from iv) and the candidate list from iii).  The election will be run using Condorcet voting with
the CIVS Ranked Pairs completion rule.  The election will run from February 20th through Febuary 23rd.

vi) The CIVS application will send each voter an e-mail informing them that the election is open, reminding them of the date when the election will end, and giving them a URL where they can rank their choices.

vii) I will email an announcement that the election has started to squeak-dev and all stakeholder lists.

viii) At midnight 2/23 UTC, the vote will be closed.

ix) I will send an email declaring the result to squeak-dev and all stakeholder lists, and will ask for feedback.

This puts the election a week after the current Board has stepped down.  This is due **only** to my negligence as Election Team leader.  I have not put in the time needed to get the election done before the current Board steps on 2/16.

Here's the timeline in compact form:

2/10-2/17 sign up by voters; list-gathering by admins; last chance for additional candidates (ends midnight 2/17 UTC)
2/18-2/19 set up CIVS for election (ends midnight 2/19 UTC)
2/20-2/23 vote (ends midnight 2/23 UTC)

Thanks,
Brent

Re: Upcoming elections: process, instructions and timeline

Brent Vukmer
Just to be clear, every voter does need to have email and web access in order to vote, due to how the CIVS application works.