- Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
cbc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

- Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...

cbc
Hi. Just trying to update to latest, and ran into:
Inline image 1
while updating package Multilingual-pre.220.mcz.

-cbc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: - Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...

Levente Uzonyi
Yep, that's a bug, but you can safely ignore it by returning self from the
debugger.
Actually ByteTextConverter class >> #initialize should not try to send
those messages to itself.

Levente

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Chris Cunningham wrote:

> Hi. Just trying to update to latest, and ran into:Inline image 1
> while updating package Multilingual-pre.220.mcz.
>
> -cbc
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
So what's the resolution? This badly breaks the update stream.  And don't we also want to have the subclasses initialized?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yep, that's a bug, but you can safely ignore it by returning self from the debugger.
Actually ByteTextConverter class >> #initialize should not try to send those messages to itself.

Levente

Hi. Just trying to update to latest, and ran into:Inline image 1

-cbc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick R.

Sorry for messing this up. :/ I re-committed the changes with a fix (thanks to Eliot!). I learned that I have to be more careful with changes to class-side #initialize :)

From: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> on behalf of Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 03:35
To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] - Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...

So what's the resolution? This badly breaks the update stream.  And don't we also want to have the subclasses initialized?

Yep, that's a bug, but you can safely ignore it by returning self from the debugger.
Actually ByteTextConverter class >> #initialize should not try to send those messages to itself.

Levente

-cbc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

What to do if the update stream is broken? [was Multilingual changes...

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Patrick,

no need to apologize (at least to me).  We all make mistakes.  I think the information to share is what to do when one breaks the update stream.  My understandings my of what to do may be incorrect but is the following:

1. inform people on Squeak-dev asap (which may not be possible because others may have found out before you :-) )

2. if the version can be done without then take it off of source.squeak.org.  If you're not a maintainer, ask a maintainer to delete it, otherwise delete it yourself

3. Move your version to some save directory out of your package cache so it doesn't reappear

4. Roll back your image and try and produce a new version that does not crash update

5. Upload the new version

Marks are obtained for producing a version that doesn't include the British Ken version in its history.

What do more sage members of the community think the right approach is?

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On Apr 20, 2017, at 11:44 PM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for messing this up. :/ I re-committed the changes with a fix (thanks to Eliot!). I learned that I have to be more careful with changes to class-side #initialize :)

From: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> on behalf of Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 03:35
To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] - Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...

Levente

-cbc

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What to do if the update stream is broken? [was Multilingual changes...

Levente Uzonyi
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
>     no need to apologize (at least to me).  We all make mistakes.  I think the information to share is what to do when one breaks the update stream.  My understandings my of what to do may be incorrect but is
> the following:
>
> 1. inform people on Squeak-dev asap (which may not be possible because others may have found out before you :-) )
>
> 2. if the version can be done without then take it off of source.squeak.org.  If you're not a maintainer, ask a maintainer to delete it, otherwise delete it yourself

IMO this is a last resort solution for the cases when posting a new
version would not help.

Levente

>
> 3. Move your version to some save directory out of your package cache so it doesn't reappear
>
> 4. Roll back your image and try and produce a new version that does not crash update
>
> 5. Upload the new version
>
> Marks are obtained for producing a version that doesn't include the British Ken version in its history.
>
> What do more sage members of the community think the right approach is?
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>
> On Apr 20, 2017, at 11:44 PM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>       Sorry for messing this up. :/ I re-committed the changes with a fix (thanks to Eliot!). I learned that I have to be more careful with changes to class-side #initialize :)
>
> ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>       From: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> on behalf of Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
>       Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 03:35
>       To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
>       Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] - Update stream broken? Multilingual changes...  
> So what's the resolution? This badly breaks the update stream.  And don't we also want to have the subclasses initialized?
>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Yep, that's a bug, but you can safely ignore it by returning self from the debugger.
>       Actually ByteTextConverter class >> #initialize should not try to send those messages to itself.
>
>       Levente
>
>       On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Chris Cunningham wrote:
>
>             Hi. Just trying to update to latest, and ran into:Inline image 1
>             while updating package Multilingual-pre.220.mcz.
>
>             -cbc
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> _,,,^..^,,,_
> best, Eliot
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What to do if the update stream is broken? [was Multilingual changes...

Bert Freudenberg
On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Hi Patrick,

no need to apologize (at least to me).  We all make mistakes.  I think the information to share is what to do when one breaks the update stream.  My understandings my of what to do may be incorrect but is
the following:

1. inform people on Squeak-dev asap (which may not be possible because others may have found out before you :-) )

2. if the version can be done without then take it off of source.squeak.org.  If you're not a maintainer, ask a maintainer to delete it, otherwise delete it yourself

IMO this is a last resort solution for the cases when posting a new version would not help.

Right. Because unless a version is explicitly mentioned in an update map, the updater will only try to load/merge the latest version. Hence the bad version is simply skipped. This is a lot simpler than having to delete the previous version.

Just be sure when testing the fix to roll back before the bad version, then load the newest one.

- Bert -