Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

12

Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

In accordance with the earlier discussions I've uploaded a new trunk
image with the version designator set to 3.11alpha and the new update
numbering scheme (now at 8482):

   http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip

Below the summary of changes.

Cheers,
   - Andreas
[------------------------- updated 12/12/09 ---------------------------]

Image Version
-------------
The new version scheme is now active. The image version number is the
sum of all package versions. A stub package "Squeak-Version" has been
added to define the "base" number for the version. This image is
designated as "Squeak3.11.alpha".

Morphic
-------
New window resizers better in tone with the general UI look. A new
UserDialogBoxMorph for simple modal inform/confirm dialogs.

Files
-----
StandardFilestream now performs read-buffering, dramatically speading up
some operations like "Object compileAll" (2x improvement) as well as
various other operations (scanning change lists etc).

Numbers
-------
Implementations for Float #predecessor, #successor etc. Update to the
compact class indexes of LargePositiveInteger and LargeNegativeInteger
for Cog. Additional tests for all of the new features.

Exceptions
----------
OutOfMemory has been added as a standard exception being signaled when
an allocation fails, replacing the previous signaling of the low space
semaphore. Improved #ensure: performance avoiding remote context
manipulation (via #tempAt:put:) in the default case.

SUnit
-----
Faster execution by speeding up some low level operations (like
allTestSelectors). Fixes for thumbnail creation which would leave open
morphs around after some tests.

Kernel
------
The default hash for all objects is now a scaled identity has to avoid
extreme degradations in speed when using large numbers of objects
without explicit hash implementation in Dictionary and Set.

[------------------------- updated 11/28/09 ---------------------------]

Menu Bar
--------
Squeak now has a standard menu bar to make it easier to discover its
contents for new users, replacing the World menu as the prime source for
launching tools and other activities.

Compiler
--------
Support for literal ByteArray syntax has been added. Byte arrays can now
be written as #[1 2 3 "..."] instead of #(1 2 3) asByteArray  avoiding
the need for conversion and a more compact default representation.

Numbers
-------
Some prime related changed: Integer>>isPrime is now a deterministic
test, Integer>>isProbablyPrime a probabilistic variant. Intger>>highBit
and Integer>>lowBit have been sped up significantly.

CRLF Handling
-------------
CR and LF are now treated interchangeably in rendering. Both cause a
line break and both are not displayed. Various line related methods have
been updated to deal with both CR and LF.

Collections
-----------
Dictionary is no longer a subclass of Set. HashedCollection is the new
superclass for both Set and Dictionary. Conversion of OrderedCollection
and SortedCollection to Arrays has been sped up significantly.

[------------------------- updated 11/14/09 ---------------------------]

Kernel
------
Support for isolation layers has been retired. "self-evaluation" as a
concept has been removed since every object can be forced to be
self-evaluating by asking for its storeString.

Projects
--------
Project refactoring are an ongoing process. Project itself has been
split into Project / MVCProject / MorphicProject such that Project
itself is abstract and various requests are handled properly in the
subclasses.

Collections
-----------
Several improvements have been added to Collections. Sets have become
faster, Arrays now print in brace form by default, Dictionary>>keys
return an array instead of a set.

Monticello
----------
Various load-order issues have been fixed within Monticello, making
sped up in several areas making browsing of large repositories
significantly faster.

Faster UTF-8 Conversions
------------------------
Generalize trick from ByteString>>#squeakToUtf8 to every converter using
class instance variables. Dramatically improves performance of file
operations.

FaceLift
--------
An adaptation of Newspeak's Facelift look has been added to Squeak under
the code name of "Botox" (meaning a small set of carefully chosen
injections to improve the out of the box look for Squeak).

Shout
-----
Shout (Syntax Hightlighting As You Type) has been added to this image.
As with all new additions, it can be easily unloaded for people wanting
smaller images.

ToolBuilder conversion
----------------------
All the tools have been given a make-over, removing pretty much all of
the interface construction code and replacing it by ToolBuilder specs.
This removes a huge amount of dependencies between the tools and
particular UI frameworks, and puts all the UIs on equal footing (there
were several tools that were either not all or only partially supported
in MVC before).

New Text Editors
----------------
A complete new set of text editors (Editor, TextEditor and
SmalltalkEditor) are available. They replace TextMorphEditor and break
one of the last hard links between Morphic and MVC. With the new editors
it will finally become possible to have Morphic be self-contained
without the need to rely on portions of MVC.

Morphic Text Improvements
-------------------------
Morphic has now regular blinking insertion point cursors instead of the
(virtually invisible) static cursor previously. In addition, various
problems with mixing fonts and the heights of text have been fixed.

Preference Pragmas
------------------
Preference pragmas simplify dealing with preferences by providing
automatic discovery for preferences defined in your classes. No more
littering Preferences; you can now define preferences local to your
class and store the values in regular class variables. The preference
gets automatically discovered by using the
<preference:category:description:type:> pragma.

Beautiful, Anti-Aliased Fonts
-----------------------------
We have a new set of beautiful anti-aliased Deja Vu bitmap fonts in this
image. The default sizes include 7pt (for handheld devices), 9pt
(generic text, list and menu fonts) as well as 12pt (window and title
fonts):
     Deja Vu 7pt: Regular, Bold, Italics
     Deja Vu 9pt: Regular, Bold, Italics
     Deja Vu 12pt: Regular, Bold, Italics

Russian Language Support
------------------------
To input text in Russian language, install a font supporting the
Cyrillic alphabet, then switch the locale accordingly:

     TTFileDescription installFamilyNamed: 'Arial'.
     Locale switchToID: (LocaleID isoLanguage: 'ru').

This will enable Russian text input, display and processing.

Improved Truetype Support
-------------------------
The new TTFileDescription works just like TTFontDescription but operates
on the files directly on disk. This helps greatly to support the m17n
efforts since we no longer load all the fonts into memory. To use the
available fonts on your platform, select some text, hit Cmd-k (Alt-k)
and select "More (non-portable) fonts".

Full Closure Support
--------------------
This is a closure converted image. With full closure support, you can
finally use recursive blocks like here:

     fac := [:n| n > 1 ifTrue:[n * (fac value: n-1)] ifFalse:[1]].
     fac value: 5.

and close over temps correctly, such as here:

     (1 to: 10) do:[:i| WorldState addDeferredUIMessage:[Transcript cr;
show: i]].

A new Development Model
-----------------------
This image is being developed using a new development model described at

     http://board.squeak.org/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

The image itself started as Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image. It was then
updated from http://source.squeak.org/trunk. In order to keep track of
ongoing development, simply hit the 'Load Code Updates' button.

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Edgar J. De Cleene
Andreas:

Too bad you don't listen and don't want I work.

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/FunSqueak/FunSqueak3.11-8472-alpha.zip

Here all could see Trunk +IRC + Games + Music + Seaside + Pier

Still waiting ...

Edgar

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> Too bad you don't listen and don't want I work.
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/FunSqueak/FunSqueak3.11-8472-alpha.zip
>
> Here all could see Trunk +IRC + Games + Music + Seaside + Pier
>
> Still waiting ...

I most definitely want you to work on Squeak! But I'm not sure what
you're waiting for ... so I'm confused. Did I miss something? I used the
3.11 denominator specifically because you asked for it, we got the image
version numbering specifically because you asked for it so I don't feel
like I'm not listening to you. If I missed something please let me know.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 12/13/09 5:43 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I most definitely want you to work on Squeak! But I'm not sure what
> you're waiting for ... so I'm confused. Did I miss something? I used the
> 3.11 denominator specifically because you asked for it, we got the image
> version numbering specifically because you asked for it so I don't feel
> like I'm not listening to you. If I missed something please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Yes , you take the number and the version, it's true.
Also is true without you we still don't advance.

My complaint is .

I think backward compatibility have pros and cons.
But should be evident to any a image without Closures run some things and
one without NO.

I sure many still feel .cs have some mileage to work before we declare they
obsolete forever.

Repeat my point.

> So, we should
> Use old beloved sftp://[hidden email]/home/updates/
> Put here some .cs for start the Trunk process
> I send some a few days ago.
> I beg you review, approve or change to your will
> Put the .cs in the folder
> When process  try to load Closures, this should be the end of 3.10.2 and the
> start of 3.11
> Here should be
> nnnnAdvanceToThreeDotTenAlpha

And we should have in some place all the .cs and all the logs.
Also we should run all the test, eventually.

By the way, like my image?
I volunteer to do this each time (monthly maybe ?) and start to add packages
which behave nicely, to Squeaker request.

Image should going smaller and modular, we agree on this

I also have
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/MinimalMorphic.7246.zip
And use in this image Pavel start and I help all the SqueakLightII
experiments.
See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6056
I have videos of experimental loading Etoys.

It's valuable to community we some day have a consensual "Core", "Minimal",
"kernel" image.
Also each newbie should have a image as big as we could build without too
much glue.

This Fun do not have glue, only "sudor y amor"

Yours

Edgar

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Igor Stasenko
2009/12/13 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/13/09 5:43 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I most definitely want you to work on Squeak! But I'm not sure what
>> you're waiting for ... so I'm confused. Did I miss something? I used the
>> 3.11 denominator specifically because you asked for it, we got the image
>> version numbering specifically because you asked for it so I don't feel
>> like I'm not listening to you. If I missed something please let me know.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>
> Yes , you take the number and the version, it's true.
> Also is true without you we still don't advance.
>
> My complaint is .
>
> I think backward compatibility have pros and cons.
> But should be evident to any a image without Closures run some things and
> one without NO.
>
> I sure many still feel .cs have some mileage to work before we declare they
> obsolete forever.
>
> Repeat my point.
>

>> So, we should
>> Use old beloved sftp://[hidden email]/home/updates/
>> Put here some .cs for start the Trunk process
>> I send some a few days ago.
>> I beg you review, approve or change to your will
>> Put the .cs in the folder
>> When process  try to load Closures, this should be the end of 3.10.2 and the
>> start of 3.11
>> Here should be
>> nnnnAdvanceToThreeDotTenAlpha
>
> And we should have in some place all the .cs and all the logs.
> Also we should run all the test, eventually.
>
> By the way, like my image?
> I volunteer to do this each time (monthly maybe ?) and start to add packages
> which behave nicely, to Squeaker request.
>
> Image should going smaller and modular, we agree on this
>
> I also have
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/MinimalMorphic.7246.zip
> And use in this image Pavel start and I help all the SqueakLightII
> experiments.
> See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6056
> I have videos of experimental loading Etoys.
>
> It's valuable to community we some day have a consensual "Core", "Minimal",
> "kernel" image.
> Also each newbie should have a image as big as we could build without too
> much glue.
>
> This Fun do not have glue, only "sudor y amor"

Hold on, Edgar.
One step at a time.
First thing we done is introduced version tracking into trunk.
Next thing, i asked you to volunteer is to take a responsibility for
making a monthly 'micro-release' of trunk image.
And i listed the required steps what i think we should do for that. Mainly:
- take a most recent tunk image, you think worth being a base for micro-release
- clean it up by removing unnecessary stuff & clearing caches etc
- update the description & introduction text
- put it on ftp public location
- announce release on mailing list.
- you are done.

But. If you also want to maintain a derivatives on top of that , i.e.:
 - trunk plus lots of fun stuff (funSqueak)
 - trunk minus lots of stuff (minimalSqueak or SqueakLight)

i see no problem with that, and i think none of us do. You are welcome
to do that.
It will be very useful to see, what of external packages, you think
worth maintaining, is broken in new micro-release, so we can deal with
that either by updating that package, or by making trunk changes more
friendly & compatible.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 12/13/09 8:13 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i see no problem with that, and i think none of us do. You are welcome
> to do that.
> It will be very useful to see, what of external packages, you think
> worth maintaining, is broken in new micro-release, so we can deal with
> that either by updating that package, or by making trunk changes more
> friendly & compatible.

Ok, It's what I asking for.

For remove packages I stick with the original Ralph vision
See
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5908 Plan for 3.10 iteration 1
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5975 History of the 3.10 release
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5990 Complaints about how 3.10 is going

Etc.

Like before, I wish go slow and safe.
So I ask to take Christmas as dead line to next micro release.

Change

 unloadSomeMore
" ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new unloadSomeMore"
#('SMLoader' 'SMBase'  'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer'  )
        do: [:ea | (MCPackage named: ea) unload].
        self fixObsoleteReferences

Do this today if Board agree
3.11 have 5 less packages as 3.10 without any risk

As where put the packages.
In squeaksource if his authors care  or any wish maintain

Or...
Create a orphaned repository

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/ orphaned'
    user: ''
    password: ''

What you think ?

Edgar

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Igor Stasenko
2009/12/13 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/13/09 8:13 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i see no problem with that, and i think none of us do. You are welcome
>> to do that.
>> It will be very useful to see, what of external packages, you think
>> worth maintaining, is broken in new micro-release, so we can deal with
>> that either by updating that package, or by making trunk changes more
>> friendly & compatible.
>
> Ok, It's what I asking for.
>
> For remove packages I stick with the original Ralph vision
> See
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5908 Plan for 3.10 iteration 1
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5975 History of the 3.10 release
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5990 Complaints about how 3.10 is going
>
> Etc.
>
> Like before, I wish go slow and safe.
> So I ask to take Christmas as dead line to next micro release.

No problem. Meanwhile, feel free to ask people, how they think a
micro-release process should be organized.
Then when you will have a clear to-do list of instructions, put it on
wiki and use as a guide to make month-by-month micro releases.

I listed my steps above, but others may want to add or change something.

You also need a write permission on ftp server (if you still not
having it), where you will stockpile the released images.

> Change
>
>  unloadSomeMore
> " ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new unloadSomeMore"
> #('SMLoader' 'SMBase'  'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer'  )
>        do: [:ea | (MCPackage named: ea) unload].
>        self fixObsoleteReferences
>
> Do this today if Board agree
> 3.11 have 5 less packages as 3.10 without any risk
>
> As where put the packages.
> In squeaksource if his authors care  or any wish maintain
>
> Or...
> Create a orphaned repository
>
> MCHttpRepository
>    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/ orphaned'
>    user: ''
>    password: ''
>
> What you think ?

I think best would be to create a separate repository for each package.
Then you can put there a package description, documentation & other
stuff which related only to that package.

While if you put everything into a single repository, it will be a
mess of many unrelated packages, without clear vision of
what packages is maintained and where, and which ones is discontinued and why.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 12/13/09 9:59 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You also need a write permission on ftp server (if you still not
> having it), where you will stockpile the released images.

Ok. I have some but if this goes more official, Board should tell Ken and we
are in business.

So I start a wiki page http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6148 for all who care
about 3.11 as community work could put his opinions , complaints, obscure
wishes , etc.

I start the test on FunSqueak on Mac today, in next days I do in XP and
Linux (no machines with this OS at hand now)

Also put the ugly true in the page

Edgar

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 12/13/09 9:59 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think best would be to create a separate repository for each package.
> Then you can put there a package description, documentation & other
> stuff which related only to that package.
>
> While if you put everything into a single repository, it will be a
> mess of many unrelated packages, without clear vision of
> what packages is maintained and where, and which ones is discontinued and why.

If some care , he/she should do , not me.
I wish do a better Squeak, not fix half baked ideas of past or document some
we decide to rip.
I wish work , but life is bigger as Squeak.

Edgar

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

garduino
Very very good news (to my pov).

Thanks.

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

garduino
I'm not really sure of how many free time I will have each week (Mainly because
I've 2 jobs one as freelancer that sometimes need more time and
sometimes not) but
I volunteer to help with micro-releases, in some way that may be useful.

2009/12/13 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/13/09 9:59 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You also need a write permission on ftp server (if you still not
>> having it), where you will stockpile the released images.
>
> Ok. I have some but if this goes more official, Board should tell Ken and we
> are in business.
>
> So I start a wiki page http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6148 for all who care
> about 3.11 as community work could put his opinions , complaints, obscure
> wishes , etc.
>
> I start the test on FunSqueak on Mac today, in next days I do in XP and
> Linux (no machines with this OS at hand now)

For example, I can make Linux tests, being that I'm on linux the most
of the time.

And, I wants to say this here, to help Edgar, because I know very very
well all the effort
he is doing from years to have a better Squeak.

Just my 0.02.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Igor Stasenko
2009/12/13 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 12/13/09 9:59 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think best would be to create a separate repository for each package.
>> Then you can put there a package description, documentation & other
>> stuff which related only to that package.
>>
>> While if you put everything into a single repository, it will be a
>> mess of many unrelated packages, without clear vision of
>> what packages is maintained and where, and which ones is discontinued and why.
>
> If some care , he/she should do , not me.
> I wish do a better Squeak, not fix half baked ideas of past or document some
> we decide to rip.
> I wish work , but life is bigger as Squeak.

I didn't meant that you should spend your time maintaining orphaned packages.
You don't need to care about or maintain them. Just put each of them
into separate repository, and make them globally writeable
so others could easily find them later and pick them up.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>> So, we should
>> Use old beloved sftp://[hidden email]/home/updates/
>> Put here some .cs for start the Trunk process
>> I send some a few days ago.
>> I beg you review, approve or change to your will
>> Put the .cs in the folder
>> When process  try to load Closures, this should be the end of 3.10.2 and the
>> start of 3.11
>> Here should be
>> nnnnAdvanceToThreeDotTenAlpha

I still don't understand what you're proposing here. Are you saying that
you want to add to the update stream for 3.10.2? Then people load up to
the closure bootstrap and that's the end of the life time of 3.10?

> By the way, like my image?
> I volunteer to do this each time (monthly maybe ?) and start to add packages
> which behave nicely, to Squeaker request.

I like it but we should have a community understanding what we'd like to
see in the "standard" image. It may be similar to FunSqueak but it would
be good if we'd have some discussions about the things we'd like to see
in it.

> Image should going smaller and modular, we agree on this

Yes.

> It's valuable to community we some day have a consensual "Core", "Minimal",
> "kernel" image.
> Also each newbie should have a image as big as we could build without too
> much glue.

I agree. What I'd like to see is a core image that strictly gets smaller
and that really nobody uses to work in, only to verify that it's
self-consistent and can be used to boostrap larger images. That image
would not include anything that we can possibly remove without loosing
the ability to build up from it.

 From this image we build up the "default" image that most of us work
in. Hopefully, this can be done by a simple automated process like Mason
or similar so that we have a way of mechanically recreating that image
from first principles if we need to.

On top of this, there should be a nice and easily usable package
management system that people can use to load whatever they want.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 12/13/09 6:27 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still don't understand what you're proposing here. Are you saying that
> you want to add to the update stream for 3.10.2? Then people load up to
> the closure bootstrap and that's the end of the life time of 3.10?

Yes, because as 3.8 don't have Traits and 3.9 yes ,  now the most important
thing should be 3.10 don't have Closures, 3.11 yes

> I like it but we should have a community understanding what we'd like to
> see in the "standard" image. It may be similar to FunSqueak but it would
> be good if we'd have some discussions about the things we'd like to see
> in it.

I send many mails for agree on some.
I want consensus, not doing my will
We want the bigger image with the all things which run without odd glues ?
Yes No

If the answer is yes

Which one more ? Some in the image NOT should be ?

> I agree. What I'd like to see is a core image that strictly gets smaller
> and that really nobody uses to work in, only to verify that it's
> self-consistent and can be used to boostrap larger images. That image
> would not include anything that we can possibly remove without loosing
> the ability to build up from it.

Yes

>  From this image we build up the "default" image that most of us work
> in. Hopefully, this can be done by a simple automated process like Mason
> or similar so that we have a way of mechanically recreating that image
> from first principles if we need to.

Yes

> On top of this, there should be a nice and easily usable package
> management system that people can use to load whatever they want.
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Ok
Cheers
Edgar

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 12/13/09 8:13 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It will be very useful to see, what of external packages, you think
>> worth maintaining, is broken in new micro-release, so we can deal with
>> that either by updating that package, or by making trunk changes more
>> friendly & compatible.
>
> Ok, It's what I asking for.
>
> For remove packages I stick with the original Ralph vision

I think that's the wrong approach. Images build on top of the core
should generally *add* things, not remove them. If the packages are not
required in the core they should be removed from it and then be added
back at the next level up.

In other words, if you have packages that we can safely remove from the
core images, we should remove them, and put them back via build script
into the "standard" image.

> " ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new unloadSomeMore"
> #('SMLoader' 'SMBase'  'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer'  )

These are excellent candidates. However, we must make sure that we can
load them back, and we *should* load them back in the standard image.

> As where put the packages.
> In squeaksource if his authors care or any wish maintain

This sounds as if we would suddenly stop supporting Squeakmap or
Universes or Installer. I am *not* in favor of that. That's why we need
to have the discussion about what is in the "standard" Squeak image. I
would argue that Installer, Squeakmap, Universes belong in the standard
image for the time being; but they don't belong in the core image. As a
consequence, we should keep them in the trunk repository.

On 12/13/09 6:40 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that's the wrong approach. Images build on top of the core
> should generally *add* things, not remove them. If the packages are not
> required in the core they should be removed from it and then be added
> back at the next level up.

For the n time, the most near to core is MinimalMorphic and need work
But how you have this?

1) Pavel procedure, rip and you have a image maybe don't run and need hours
to be usable as mine

2) Ralph and me procedure. Each release cut some packages , maybe this could
improve but the fact is 3.10 have less packages as 3.9 and all could be
loaded again

> In other words, if you have packages that we can safely remove from the
> core images, we should remove them, and put them back via build script
> into the "standard" image.

You repeat some we agree before

>> " ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 new unloadSomeMore"
>> #('SMLoader' 'SMBase'  'ScriptLoader' 'Universes' 'Installer'  )
>
> These are excellent candidates. However, we must make sure that we can
> load them back, and we *should* load them back in the standard image.
>
>> As where put the packages.
>> In squeaksource if his authors care or any wish maintain
>
> This sounds as if we would suddenly stop supporting Squeakmap or
> Universes or Installer. I am *not* in favor of that. That's why we need
> to have the discussion about what is in the "standard" Squeak image. I
> would argue that Installer, Squeakmap, Universes belong in the standard
> image for the time being; but they don't belong in the core image. As a
> consequence, we should keep them in the trunk repository.

Ok, let all removed packages in the trunk repository.
All could be reload and work as good (or bad) as now.
But repeat, backwards compatibility have cons and pros
Or we move forward with this proposal and try Mason or we do nothing.

It's Board decision.
I only have suggestions and could work doing whatever Board decide

I think all is clear now and stop the subject but read carefully all have to
say

Edgar

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>> I like it but we should have a community understanding what we'd like to
>> see in the "standard" image. It may be similar to FunSqueak but it would
>> be good if we'd have some discussions about the things we'd like to see
>> in it.
>
> I send many mails for agree on some.
> I want consensus, not doing my will
> We want the bigger image with the all things which run without odd glues ?
> Yes No
>
> If the answer is yes
>
> Which one more ? Some in the image NOT should be ?

I think a good starting point would be to take the latest trunk image
list the packages in it, add those that you've got currently in
FunSqueak and then come up with a prioritization along the lines of:

1. Packages that should be in the core image
    (e.g., Kernel, Compiler, Collections)

2. Packages that should be in the default image
    (e.g., MVC, Universes, Sound, Games etc)

3. Packages that should be trivially loadable
    (e.g., Seaside, Aida)

Once we have a structure like that we can talk a little more if there
are other packages that really should be part of one of the layers and
then be a bit more realistic about what's achievable ;-) and finally we
should just execute on that structure by doing whatever is necessary to
get the packages into their proper layer.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Ken G. Brown
Note particularly the 'Unloading' section from:

More Installer and Sake/Packages documentation
<http://squeaktipsandtrickswatch.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-installer-and-sakepackages.html>

Sake/Packages usage:

Definitions Search Path
============================
Packages named: 'PackageName'.

Will obtain a package definition. Subclasses of Packages are searched using the order defined by #findPath which is specified by #priority.

e.g. Packages findPath => {PackagesSqueak310 . PackagesDev . PackagesAll . PackagesSeaside29}

Packages-#priority is used to sort classes like so:

The class with defns for a relevant version (listed in #relevantVersions) => 100
The class with defns for dev version (PackagesDev) => 400
The class with defns for all versions (PackagesAll) => 500

Additional package "universes" can define their own priority in order to specify where to appear in the #findPath.
PackagesSeaside29
PackagesGjaller
PackagesBeach

Usage:
========
verbose usage specifying run style.

(Packages named: 'Seaside') run.  " or runQuietly, runStepping, runLogging"

#runStepping , - presents a confirm/debug dialog before each action.
#run            - default.
#runQuietly    - auto-confirms any SakeConfirm dialogs.
#runLogging   - Writes any SakeStop warnings to self log.

default usage:

Packages load: 'Seaside'.
Packages latest: 'Seaside'. "as above, but use latest versions of everything"
Packages unload: 'Seaside'.

multiples:

Packages load: #('Seaside' 'Magma' 'Logging')

Unloading
========
Unloading comes in two variants.

Each package task loaded by Sake/Packages is remembered in the 'provided' list
If you perform:

    Packages unload: 'Seaside' .

    Packages unloadStepping: 'Seaside' .

Then the 'historical' unload scripts are used, as defined when the original load tasks were run.

If instead you perform:

    (Packages current named: 'Seaside') beUnloading runStepping.

Then the most recently defined unload script will be run.

Note: If packages such as "Magma server" and "Magma client" provides "Magma", then

    Packages unload: 'Magma'.

Will unload whichever of the two are loaded.

Ken G. Brown

On 12/13/09 7:43 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Packages that should be in the core image
>     (e.g., Kernel, Compiler, Collections)

>From my experiments the small set could be

Collections
Compiler
Compression
Exceptions
Files
Graphics
Kernel
Monticello
Morphic
MorphicExtras
Multilingual
Network
PackageInfo
Protocols
ST80
Services
System
ToolBuilder
Tools
Traits

Maybe we could go deep and some of this could be sub sets of working image
(Ladrillos idea)

> 2. Packages that should be in the default image

Difficult question. I suppose no way all agree , but you could start a "Vote
for favorite packages et all " poll.

And what is the default? Actual 3.11 ? Some bigger 'a la Fun' ?

> 3. Packages that should be trivially loadable
>     (e.g., Seaside, Aida)

Here for the most used we should have info trough www.squeak/
I think we have, but just in case...

Edgar

Squeak package structure (Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip))

Andreas.Raab
Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 12/13/09 7:43 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. Packages that should be in the core image
>>     (e.g., Kernel, Compiler, Collections)
>
>>From my experiments the small set could be

Let's take a look at the actual packages. Here are the packages from
FunSqueak3.11-8472-alpha.image extracted via

   MCWorkingCopy allManagers collect:[:wc| wc packageName].

Here is my take on it:

Core Packages:
=============
- Squeak-Version
- Kernel
- Exceptions
- Compiler
- Collections
- Compression
- Files
- Graphics
- Multilingual
- Network
- SUnit
- System
- ToolBuilder
- Traits

I think the above are pretty safe bets for the time being. One of the
big questions is whether the core should be updated via MC the way it is
right now. I am in favor of that which implies adding the following three:

- PackageInfo-Base
- Monticello
- MonticelloConfigurations

The next set are packages that I'd rather not have in the core, but for
the time being I don't think we have a choice here. However, we should
make ever attempt to make them loadable in "standard" rather than
requiring them in core:

- Balloon
- EToys
- FlexibleVocabularies
- Protocols
- ST80
- Morphic
- Tools
- TrueType

Standard Packages:
=================
- Installer
- SMBase
- SMLoader
- Universes

- FFI
- VB-Regex
- VersionNumber
- XML-Parser
- Services-Base
- ShoutCore

- Nebraska
- Sound
- Speech
- Network-HTML
- Network-IRC
- PreferenceBrowser
- SUnitGUI
- Tests (all the *Tests packages)

This basically adds more installation methods (installer, SM, Universes,
possibly Metacello) plus some of the tools and other good stuff. I think
there's room to add some more useful packages here (Polymorph & Freetype
for example).

Extra Packages:
==============
- DynamicBindings
- KomHttpServer
- KomServices
- Magritte
- Magritte-Model
- Magritte-Seaside
- Pier
- Rsrss2
- Seaside2

Seaside, Magritte, and Pier all should be loadable via some package
manager. Plus lots of other things that like to play with (Balloon3D,
Wonderland and more).

Obsolete Packages:
- 39Deprecated
- MinimalMorphic
- ReleaseBuilder
- ScriptLoader

Gotta get rid of those. Our Morphic should be as minimal as we can make
it and other things are basically obsolete.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

12