Updating Mantis status

Jerome Peace
Updating Mantis status

***

kencausey.com> escribió:

>> > Use of Mantis was really only meant to be
temporary and I had
>> > thought that by now we would have decided on
another tool that would be
>> > at least a better fit than any, including Mantis,
that had come before.
>> > Hope is on the horizon at least in the form of
Gjallar and Delta Stream
>> > and in work I believe is swimming around in the
mind, at least, of Craig
>> > Latta.
>>
>> I have deep respect for Craig, Goran, Matthew and
others working on this.

>> But...
>>
>> If still people don't put bug reports in Mantis and
few use it (from many
>> Squeakers), how you think they instantly use still
unknown ?

>> Blaming Mantis don't help. It's useful.
>>

>> Edgar
>
>I'm not blaming Mantis.  From day one it was little
more than a stopgap
>measure.

???!

I don't understand this. Who decided it would be
stopgap?

And even the commitment to it was partial at first.
Why would you evaluate it now and still decide it
should only be a stopgap measure?

>That being said, the fact that use of it has not been
taken up
>more generally is surely evidence that it is not a
natural fit.

How is this evidence. People who don't maintain squeak
don't use mantis. Those who do find it particularly
useful.

How else would we report and track bugs?

My perception is that you are missing some thing key
to the problem. (Or else I am). And I am wondering,
because I don't know how you are thinking, what it
could be?

Can you help me understand?

(In your beliefs)
What specifically is the problem to be solved?

How is mantis helping or failing to help solve it?

Thank you.

Yours in sevice and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

>Ken
***

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Re: Updating Mantis status

Ken Causey-3
On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 18:07 -0800, Jerome Peace wrote:
> How else would we report and track bugs?

Well, I don't really want to spend a lot of time on this right now.  But
fundamentally there is clearly a sizable part of the community that
would prefer to work completely within Squeak: file a report in squeak,
submit a fix from within squeak, get fixes and enhancements and try them
out within squeak, evaluate and comment within squeak, etc.  Oh, and
while I find the current situation workable, I myself would prefer that.

Ken

Re: Updating Mantis status

Jerome Peace
Updating Mantis status

Hi Ken,

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

***

wrote:
>> How else would we report and track bugs?
>
>Well, I don't really want to spend a lot of time on
this right now.  But
>fundamentally there is clearly a sizable part of the
community that
>would prefer to work completely within Squeak: file a
report in squeak,
>submit a fix from within squeak, get fixes and
enhancements and try them
>out within squeak, evaluate and comment within
squeak, etc.  Oh, and
>while I find the current situation workable, I myself
would prefer that.

Ok, that explains the part I'm not getting. Since I
first learned to track bugs with mantis, I never
learned to desire to do everything from within squeak.
And it didn't occur to me that this would be a
drawback for others.

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace

Never miss a thing.  Make Yahoo your home page.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs