Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Jeff Gonis-2
Hi Folks,

So testing out the RC3 image and if I select the "Update Squeak" menu item it appears to attempt to connect source.squeak.org but ends up popping up a modal dialog stating that it was "Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository". I would have expected that it would instead say that there are no updates to be found, rather than it can't retrieve them.

Is this expected behaviour, a sign of a misconfiguration on the server, or something in the image itself?

Thanks for your time,
Jeff

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Frank Shearar-3
On 7 February 2014 18:07, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> So testing out the RC3 image and if I select the "Update Squeak" menu item
> it appears to attempt to connect source.squeak.org but ends up popping up a
> modal dialog stating that it was "Unable to retrieve updates from remote
> repository". I would have expected that it would instead say that there are
> no updates to be found, rather than it can't retrieve them.

DNS woes!

frank

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Jeff Gonis-2
Going to source.squeak.org/squeak45 in my browser is fully functional though, running on the same box with the same connection.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7 February 2014 18:07, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> So testing out the RC3 image and if I select the "Update Squeak" menu item
> it appears to attempt to connect source.squeak.org but ends up popping up a
> modal dialog stating that it was "Unable to retrieve updates from remote
> repository". I would have expected that it would instead say that there are
> no updates to be found, rather than it can't retrieve them.

DNS woes!

frank

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Tobias Pape
On 07.02.2014, at 19:07, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> So testing out the RC3 image and if I select the "Update Squeak" menu item it appears to attempt to connect source.squeak.org but ends up popping up a modal dialog stating that it was "Unable to retrieve updates from remote repository". I would have expected that it would instead say that there are no updates to be found, rather than it can't retrieve them.
>
> Is this expected behaviour, a sign of a misconfiguration on the server, or something in the image itself?

Happended in RC1 and RC2, too just forgot to mention…

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Chris Muller-3
It was due to the fact I had not put out an update.mcm in the
'squeak45' repository yet.

That's done now, update should be good to go.

Thanks for the reminder Jeff.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Going to source.squeak.org/squeak45 in my browser is fully functional
> though, running on the same box with the same connection.
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 7 February 2014 18:07, Jeff Gonis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > So testing out the RC3 image and if I select the "Update Squeak" menu
>> > item
>> > it appears to attempt to connect source.squeak.org but ends up popping
>> > up a
>> > modal dialog stating that it was "Unable to retrieve updates from remote
>> > repository". I would have expected that it would instead say that there
>> > are
>> > no updates to be found, rather than it can't retrieve them.
>>
>> DNS woes!
>>
>> frank

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 RC3

Jeff Gonis-2
The update now works as expected.  Great work Chris!