Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

bpi

Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

bpi
Dear Squeakers,

I wanted to build myself an up-to-date trunk image. I took the latest Squeak4.5-12641.zip from ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/ and started the trunk update.

It pops up a merge dialog at System-ul.583. I am not sure how to proceed. I use OS X and the latest Cog 2776.

Is there a better way to an up-to-date trunk image? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 September 2013 20:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Squeakers,
>
> I wanted to build myself an up-to-date trunk image. I took the latest Squeak4.5-12641.zip from ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/ and started the trunk update.
>
> It pops up a merge dialog at System-ul.583. I am not sure how to proceed. I use OS X and the latest Cog 2776.
>
> Is there a better way to an up-to-date trunk image? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard

Arg, that merge dialog is completely useless. It's a merge conflict
between System-Exceptions and System-Tools changing their order.

frank

bpi

Re: Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

bpi
Thanks for the answer, Frank.

I guess that means I should select the bold line, click Keep, then click Merge, right?

When I do that, after some time a second merge dialog pops up. I do the same and then it update to 12944. However, many packages are dirty in the Monticello browser. I then executed MCWorkingCopy checkModified: true. After that still two packages are dirty: FlexibleVocabularies and ScriptLoader. Were they removed?

Or is there a better way to achieve what I want, a pristine trunk image?

Cheers,
Berhard

Am 08.09.2013 um 22:32 schrieb Frank Shearar:

> On 8 September 2013 20:30, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Squeakers,
>>
>> I wanted to build myself an up-to-date trunk image. I took the latest Squeak4.5-12641.zip from ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/ and started the trunk update.
>>
>> It pops up a merge dialog at System-ul.583. I am not sure how to proceed. I use OS X and the latest Cog 2776.
>>
>> Is there a better way to an up-to-date trunk image? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>
> Arg, that merge dialog is completely useless. It's a merge conflict
> between System-Exceptions and System-Tools changing their order.
>
> frank

Re: Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

Frank Shearar-3
Hi Bernhard,

You're welcome :)

You might as well do that - click Keep then click Merge. Given that
the "change" is a reordering of system categories it doesn't really
matter.

What diffs do you see between your local FlexibleVocabularies and
ScriptLoader, and those versions in trunk?

ScriptLoader is still present in the image, but it should now be
completely empty. ScriptLoader-fbs.337 should be the last commit for
that package, and 45Deprecated-fbs.3 is the other half of the move,
showing the deprecation of the entire package. It'll then get removed
in the 4.6 cycle, I think.

What you're doing is pretty much the manual version of what _should_
be a completely automated task. Ideally you should be able to pull a
pristine trunk from
http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/
but at the moment that's broken. I'm still trying to find out why the
SqueakTrunk job (whose successful completion kicks off the
ReleaseSqueakTrunk job) doesn't correctly update the image.

frank

bpi

Re: Updating from Squeak4.5-12641.zip opens merge dialog

bpi
Hi Frank,

Am 09.09.2013 um 12:43 schrieb Frank Shearar:
What diffs do you see between your local FlexibleVocabularies and
ScriptLoader, and those versions in trunk?
Here is how it looks:

What you're doing is pretty much the manual version of what _should_
be a completely automated task. Ideally you should be able to pull a
pristine trunk from
http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/
but at the moment that's broken. I'm still trying to find out why the
SqueakTrunk job (whose successful completion kicks off the
ReleaseSqueakTrunk job) doesn't correctly update the image.
Maybe it trips over the merge dialog? ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Cheers
Berhard

[...]

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:43:09AM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> You're welcome :)
>
> You might as well do that - click Keep then click Merge. Given that
> the "change" is a reordering of system categories it doesn't really
> matter.
>
> What diffs do you see between your local FlexibleVocabularies and
> ScriptLoader, and those versions in trunk?
>
> ScriptLoader is still present in the image, but it should now be
> completely empty. ScriptLoader-fbs.337 should be the last commit for
> that package, and 45Deprecated-fbs.3 is the other half of the move,
> showing the deprecation of the entire package. It'll then get removed
> in the 4.6 cycle, I think.
>
> What you're doing is pretty much the manual version of what _should_
> be a completely automated task. Ideally you should be able to pull a
> pristine trunk from
> http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/
> but at the moment that's broken. I'm still trying to find out why the
> SqueakTrunk job (whose successful completion kicks off the
> ReleaseSqueakTrunk job) doesn't correctly update the image.
>
> frank

FYI, I just changed the InterpreterVM and CogVM jobs on build.squeak.org
to use a Squeak 4.4 release image for the VM source tarball builds. I'll
change them back to use the SqueakTrunk images whenever we get the issues
sorted out there, but meanwhile the process of generating VM source tarballs
from VMMaker and the Subversion repository is not very dependent on Squeak
image version, so this should do fine for now.

Dave

On 10 September 2013 01:39, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:43:09AM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> Hi Bernhard,
>>
>> You're welcome :)
>>
>> You might as well do that - click Keep then click Merge. Given that
>> the "change" is a reordering of system categories it doesn't really
>> matter.
>>
>> What diffs do you see between your local FlexibleVocabularies and
>> ScriptLoader, and those versions in trunk?
>>
>> ScriptLoader is still present in the image, but it should now be
>> completely empty. ScriptLoader-fbs.337 should be the last commit for
>> that package, and 45Deprecated-fbs.3 is the other half of the move,
>> showing the deprecation of the entire package. It'll then get removed
>> in the 4.6 cycle, I think.
>>
>> What you're doing is pretty much the manual version of what _should_
>> be a completely automated task. Ideally you should be able to pull a
>> pristine trunk from
>> http://build.squeak.org/job/ReleaseSqueakTrunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/
>> but at the moment that's broken. I'm still trying to find out why the
>> SqueakTrunk job (whose successful completion kicks off the
>> ReleaseSqueakTrunk job) doesn't correctly update the image.
>>
>> frank
>
> FYI, I just changed the InterpreterVM and CogVM jobs on build.squeak.org
> to use a Squeak 4.4 release image for the VM source tarball builds. I'll
> change them back to use the SqueakTrunk images whenever we get the issues
> sorted out there, but meanwhile the process of generating VM source tarballs
> from VMMaker and the Subversion repository is not very dependent on Squeak
> image version, so this should do fine for now.

Oh, good! That at least puts an upper bound on my embarrassment
quotient, as I flail around trying to fix that job.

frank