Using Squeak on iPaq 4150

Lord ZealoN
Hi again.

I'm trying to get an usable squeak on my PDA(1).

Here are the results at the moment without changes.

I got  SqueakLight.406 from ftp://squeak.cobss.ch/pub/SqueakLight/

Then I copied to my iPaq on a directory Squeak on the storage card
with the squeakvm for WinCe, thanks to Yoshiki Ohshima (2) and
SqueakV3.sources from the Squeak3.8 image file.

Now, the squeak image runs, and don't very bad, but needs some changes.

The first problem is the space. In a pocketpc 30MB (10MB squeaklight,
15MB sources) is a lot of space on storage, and RAM.

Then, is needed to change the systems fonts, etc...to take a good look
in the little screen. And then, we need to change something to the
browsers looks good in the 320x200 screen (on PDA with QVGA screens,
640x480 on VGA screens)

Squeak is not running at fullscreen because I'm not capable to make
the screenshots then, because the Hardware keys don't work (disabled
by the VM?)

I will post my advances.

Here are some screenshots
http://lordzealon.com/squeak/01-launching.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/02-launching2.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/03-memory.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/04-world.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/05-worldmenu.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/06-openingbrowser.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/07-browser.bmp

http://lordzealon.com/squeak/08-browserfullscreen.bmp

(1) HP iPAQ 4150
  - 400 mhz processor
  - 64MB ram
  - SD card 512MB
  - QVGA screen (320x200)
  - OS: PocketPC 2003
(2) http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/

--
::Mi blog::
http://blog.lordzealon.com

Linux-User: #370919

Re: Using Squeak on iPaq 4150

Aaron Reichow
Hola,

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Lord ZealoN wrote:

> I got  SqueakLight.406 from ftp://squeak.cobss.ch/pub/SqueakLight/

There are other images. I included some links to some- go back and read
my posts about Squeak on the Nokia 770. The Nokia 770 is a Linux-based
PDA/internet tablet with a slower CPU, only 220 MHz.

You'd be surprised, and how fast- and capable- an older Squeak image is on
a PDA in Morphic.

> The first problem is the space. In a pocketpc 30MB (10MB squeaklight,
> 15MB sources) is a lot of space on storage, and RAM.

Ditch the sources. I've never bothered to use a sources file when coding
or using an app on a PDA. Frankly, I've not missed it. You don't get
comments, but Squeak does a pretty good job of making me never notice. I
wrote about 60% of the code I wrote for Dynapad on the PDA itself and it
never got to me once. Mind you, I was working with a device with only 16
MB of RAM, though all files were on a CF card.  While I've used images as
big as 30 MB on various PDAs, I reccomend sticking to images 10 MB or
less, including what apps you want to run, on a CE PDA like you are using.

> Then, is needed to change the systems fonts, etc...to take a good look
> in the little screen. And then, we need to change something to the
> browsers looks good in the 320x200 screen (on PDA with QVGA screens,
> 640x480 on VGA screens)

I recommend the Lucy font. I use it when using any device with a small
screen and low res, like your PDA. I don't bother on similar devices with
VGA screens, where you just can use any old font at 12-16 pt. When I use a
QVGA Device with Squeak, Lucy is the font I use for most things, window
titles excepted.

Heh, I googled this wondering if it was still findable via Google. Sure
enough, it's on SqueakMap even. But was surprised me is that I am the
owner, and it's in my webspace. I mean, I just completely forgot about
this. Anyway, it's a great font to these kinds of devices.

Regards,
Aaron

[hidden email] || rev in #squeak on irc.freenode.net
   "Liberty will not descend to a people, a people must
         raise themselves to Liberty." -- Emma Goldman

Re: Using Squeak on iPaq 4150

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Aaron Reichow escribió:

> Hola,
>
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Lord ZealoN wrote:
>

>> I got  SqueakLight.406 from ftp://squeak.cobss.ch/pub/SqueakLight/
>>

> There are other images. I included some links to some- go back and read
> my posts about Squeak on the Nokia 770. The Nokia 770 is a Linux-based
> PDA/internet tablet with a slower CPU, only 220 MHz.
>
> You'd be surprised, and how fast- and capable- an older Squeak image is on
> a PDA in Morphic.

Ok, I'm going to chek this mails.

>> The first problem is the space. In a pocketpc 30MB (10MB squeaklight,
>> 15MB sources) is a lot of space on storage, and RAM.
>>

> Ditch the sources. I've never bothered to use a sources file when coding
> or using an app on a PDA. Frankly, I've not missed it. You don't get
> comments, but Squeak does a pretty good job of making me never notice. I
> wrote about 60% of the code I wrote for Dynapad on the PDA itself and it
> never got to me once. Mind you, I was working with a device with only 16
> MB of RAM, though all files were on a CF card.  While I've used images as
> big as 30 MB on various PDAs, I reccomend sticking to images 10 MB or
> less, including what apps you want to run, on a CE PDA like you are using.

Yes, for this I'm speaking about shrink the image. For example, We can
to do without packages (I don't know what, I'm new here) thath a PDA
don't need.

>> Then, is needed to change the systems fonts, etc...to take a good look
>> in the little screen. And then, we need to change something to the
>> browsers looks good in the 320x200 screen (on PDA with QVGA screens,
>> 640x480 on VGA screens)
>>

> I recommend the Lucy font. I use it when using any device with a small
> screen and low res, like your PDA. I don't bother on similar devices with
> VGA screens, where you just can use any old font at 12-16 pt. When I use a
> QVGA Device with Squeak, Lucy is the font I use for most things, window
> titles excepted.

But, what resolution has the Nokia 770? You have seen the screenshots I
mailed?
> Heh, I googled this wondering if it was still findable via Google. Sure
> enough, it's on SqueakMap even. But was surprised me is that I am the
> owner, and it's in my webspace. I mean, I just completely forgot about
> this. Anyway, it's a great font to these kinds of devices.

I will chek it too.
> Regards,
> Aaron
Thanks for interesting on my "project" and for the tips.

See you.

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Linux User: #370919