Using the ScrollBar menu button to give status information

1 message Options

Using the ScrollBar menu button to give status information

Michael Davies-2
I was interested in the discussions a couple of weeks ago abut how to give feedback to the user about the status of edit controls, so I put together two experiments in using the Scrollbar menu button to provide feedback about the status of the associated edit control.

I really like a few aspects of these approaches:
- the fact that they draw users' attention to that button, which otherwise gets overlooked.
- the button allows the user to take actions to deal with the status information (eg accept/cancel).
- the balloon text of the button can be updated to give the users advice what the colours/symbols mean and on appropriate actions.

There's two different approaches:
Morphic-MAD.373.mcz adds colours to the menu button (matching the colour of the "corner flash" adornment, so it looks like the corner flash is an arrow pointing to the button if you have it switched on).
Morphic-MAD.375.mcz uses tiny icons instead. Cuter, but perhaps less clear.

I've created a separate project for them at http://www.squeaksource.com/StatusScroll.html -- please have a look and let me know what you think. Best to load them in a spare image, as unloading them is tricky...

I think there's a lot going for this idea, although the implementation is currently very rough and ready. Do people think that this would be a worthwhile improvement to Squeak's UI?

Cheers, Michael

Picture 6.png (14K) Download Attachment
Picture 7.png (10K) Download Attachment
Picture 8.png (10K) Download Attachment